Old 20-12-2017, 13:40   #1

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Appeveyor Questions

did-g posted
Quote:
Originally Posted by did-g
Hi, try
https://ci.appveyor.com/api/buildjob...4.40-win32.exe

If it works with 4.8.0 you can create a free account on appveyor.com with your github handle and every push on github will be compiled with their farm. Caveats: - For now 32 bits.
- Use opencpn.lib from sf.net so up to 1.13 plugin version only.
did-g,
I decided to put this in a separate thread. The download of ocpn_draw 1.4.40 works.

I almost signed up but have questions.

Did-g this is very interesting and might be a huge improvement to releases. I saw your github pr. I don't understand it all at this point but will try it.

I have found that several plugins require the more current opencpn.lib-v4.8.0 (1.14 ) with 135kb because of improvements made for ocpn_draw etc.

How would that affect the tool?

I got on the website and it is Free for OpenSource. It is asking for access to my email account, personal info and access to the group "OpenCPN".

I wanted to know what they are going to do with my personnal info. - I DO NOT want it going to google, ms, yahoo or others!!!
Absolutely not. I could find nothing about that in my short search. I started to use my github account....

What do you know about this security/privacy aspect?
Also they say we are responsible for any 3rd party charges that might occur.. What? I am uncertain about signing up because of these questions, and I would like a review by someone about giving them access to the group "Opencpn" that is on github.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 14:26   #2

Re: Appeveyor Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
did-g posted

did-g,
I decided to put this in a separate thread. The download of ocpn_draw 1.4.40 works.

I almost signed up but have questions.

Did-g this is very interesting and might be a huge improvement to releases. I saw your github pr. I don't understand it all at this point but will try it.
Quote:
I have found that several plugins require the more current opencpn.lib-v4.8.0 (1.14 ) with 135kb because of improvements made for ocpn_draw etc.

How would that affect the tool?
Either Dave put opencpn.lib somewhere (source forge is unreliable, many transient errors) or we recompile opencpn.lib every time.

Quote:
I got on the website and it is Free for OpenSource. It is asking for access to my email account, personal info and access to the group "OpenCPN".

I wanted to know what they are going to do with my personnal info. - I DO NOT want it going to google, ms, yahoo or others!!!
Absolutely not. I could find nothing about that in my short search. I started to use my github account....

What do you know about this security/privacy aspect?
Also they say we are responsible for any 3rd party charges that might occur.. What? I am uncertain about signing up because of these questions, and I would like a review by someone about giving them access to the group "Opencpn" that is on github.
Easy, I know nothing about their security/privacy
I guess they are vetted by github, to a point, maybe.

For convenience you can use you github account so each github push triggers a build and they could push back 'artifacts' on your github storage but you can use a throw away mail, a new push only github account and so on.

On the other hand I'm the proud user of didier at sf.net and Sourceforge was (is?) really really bad for a while but we are still using it so...

The idea is that each PR is built in a reproducible way before merging on as much system as possible, and for that you must start from a clean slate, every time. Same for release.

If you're interested you can read late Peter Miller's 25 years old Aegis white paper. It was state of the art then, it is state of the art today.
did-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 16:39   #3

Thanks Dig-g

If I could see my way past the access to personnal email part (knowing they aren't going to spread it around), it seems like it would totally eliminate a barrier to frequent testing of parts of code before they get packaged.

Are any others using now? Going to use it?
Old 20-12-2017, 16:56   #4

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Thanks Dig-g

If I could see my way past the access to personnal email part (knowing they aren't going to spread it around), it seems like it would totally eliminate a barrier to frequent testing of parts of code before they get packaged.

Are any others using now? Going to use it?
Rick...
But there is absolutely no need for you to do anything or register anywhere.
What this thing does (once Dave finishes the configuration) is check the pull requests submitted to the main repository on Github do not break the build on "all" platforms automatically before they get accepted.
And you, as anybody else, may see the results without registering anywhere.

BTW, you already gave up you personal e-mail to Github as far as I can tell, so you a) may use Github instead of e-mail to authenticate to pretty much all of these services that integrate with it and b) are screwed up already and the big brother owns your soul and stuff.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2017, 19:37   #5

Thanks Pavel, for clarifying this. Both a) and b) might be true, but it is still very worthwhile fighting for it!! (Net neutrality WILL be reestablished, as we are mobilizing.)
Old 21-12-2017, 03:33   #6

Boat: Valiant 42

Rick,

All of our personal information has already been exposed by the big 3 credit bureaus or the US government. Every single person in the united states and a large portion of the rest of the world had all of their personal information stolen from Experian and Equifax. Hackers also stole all the personal information from the government office of personnel (all contractors, employees, etc). So keeping your personal information private is a futile pursuit. It is a simple fact and there is nothing we can do about it. I would not worry about it if I were you.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2017, 05:26   #7

Thankyou Dan and Pavel, are you signing up for appeveyor, since it will link with your github repos and provide compiles of commits as I understand it?
Old 21-12-2017, 05:31   #8

Boat: Phantom 19

Quote:
Thankyou Dan and Pavel, are you signing up for appeveyor, since it will link with your github repos and provide compiles of commits as I understand it?
Rick...
I am using it for years for some of the plugins as well as travis for the unix builds.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote