Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2016, 11:47   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts, 52
Antarctic Charts

Hello,
I wonder if someone can tell me where I can find the nautical charts of the Antarctic?
I'm going to visit the region, but can't find the charts!
Thank you!
FELIPE CAIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 12:19   #2

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36
Re: ANTARCTIC CHARTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by FELIPE CAIRE View Post
Hello,
I wonder if someone can tell me where I can find the nautical charts of the Antarctic?
I'm going to visit the region, but can't find the charts!
Thank you!
Strange question that seems to point to an abysmal lack of preparation... Antarctic is not a 'region' but a continent the access of which is severely restricted by UN agreements / laws translated into national regulations
Before you are given pointers, could you tell us what steps you will take to get the compulsory agreements for that 'visit'.
A hint; this continent is under the trusteeship of many countries, which will or will not give access to nautical charts and documents
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 12:39   #3
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Felipe,

a pointer for S-63/S-57 charts covering "Antarctica":
ArcGIS Web Application

You will know that you will need a ton of additional information...
bcn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 13:15   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorF54 View Post
Strange question that seems to point to an abysmal lack of preparation... Antarctic is not a 'region' but a continent the access of which is severely restricted by UN agreements / laws translated into national regulations
Before you are given pointers, could you tell us what steps you will take to get the compulsory agreements for that 'visit'.
A hint; this continent is under the trusteeship of many countries, which will or will not give access to nautical charts and documents
Meu querido, desculpe pelo meu fraco inglês.
Sou brasileiro e já contornei o Cabo Horn mais de 4 vezes e você?
Pode ficar tranquilo que conheço muito bem as regras e estamos em dia com a IATOO. Aliás sabe o que é isso?
Obrigado pela ajuda!
Old 27-03-2016, 13:18   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcn View Post
Felipe,

a pointer for S-63/S-57 charts covering "Antarctica":
ArcGIS Web Application

You will know that you will need a ton of additional information...
Thank you for the information.
But I just need the charts to use on OPENCPN (free, if it's possible!).
I already have the charts on paper, all of it!.
But I can't find ELETRONIC charts.
Ths
Old 27-03-2016, 13:24   #6
bcn

Re: Antarctic Charts

Felipe...

estimado amigo, me parece que el comentario de sailorF54 está mostrando una preocupación y nada más.

There are no free charts for this waters as far as I know. Others might add their infos...

Hubert

btw: S-63 you can use with OCPN. The Brazilian Armada does for example...
Old 27-03-2016, 13:28   #7

Quote:
Felipe...

estimado amigo, me parece que el comentario de sailorF54 está mostrando una preocupación y nada más.

There are no free charts for this waters as far as I know. Others might add their infos...

Hubert
Desculpe, mas não foi o que me pareceu. Eu conheço bem as regras de lá. Nós brasileiros e sulamericanos possuímos as maiores e melhores bases lá. Só comparada com a base em Port Lockroy.
Se não existem cartas grátis, ótimo. Obrigado.
Pena que quando fui lá as diversas vezes com o Tinker Toy, basta ver o registro das embarcações que visitaram a região, nós usamos cartas em pápel.
E não quero mais passar por isso.
De qualquer maneira, muito obrigado!
Old 27-03-2016, 13:38   #8
bcn

Would be interesting to get comments from sailors at this region about the official charts.

Take note: you license those charts (S-57/S-63) once and then you have those at OCPN for the future.
Investing 50-100$/€ might give you some portfolio...
PS: not good for people that need charts under "carriage requirements" - you are working with boats so charts are something like gasoil. To fuel the vessel.
Old 27-03-2016, 13:43   #9

Quote:
Would be interesting to get comments from sailors at this region about the official charts.

Take note: you license those charts (S-57/S-63) once and then you have those at OCPN for the future.
Investing 50-100$/€ might give you some portfolio...
PS: not good for people that need charts under "carriage requirements" - you are working with boats so charts are something like gasoil. To fuel the vessel.
A DIRETORIA DE HIDROGRAFIA E NAVEGAÇÃO DO BRASIL produz algumas das cartas que você mencionou.
E conforme eu já disse, EU POSSUO TODAS AS CARTAS EM PAPEL.
O que em nosso País é obrigatório.
Enfim, gostaria que nos mantivesse na questão.

CARTAS NÁUTICAS GRÁTIS DA ANTÁRTICA.

Old 27-03-2016, 14:32   #10

Boat: Phantom 19

Felipe...
Centro de Hidrografia da Marinha offers some free KAP charts of the region (you can get all of them directly to OpenCPN using the bundled chart downloader) or manually from Centro de Hidrografia da Marinha
But they cover just South Shetlands and Elephant Island (not counting the general chart no. 2)
Generally Chilean and Admiralty charts were used down south when I was there, but neither of them are available for free in digital form as far as I know. As you say you have all the paper charts, there probably is little that can stop you from scanning and calibrating them yourself. Plenty of time to do that before the next season starts... And if you stop in Ushuaia on the way, let me know.

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 14:38   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Folks, can we keep the language in English on the forum please, so that everyone can follow the thread.

If English isn't your first language please don't worry the forum, is very tolerant for those posting in a second language.

Thanks

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 16:22   #12

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Not free but good coverage from SHOA with their entire catalogue available as ENCs, pages 25, 27 and 80 to 85 of the catalogue http://www.shoa.cl/servicios/descarg...atalogo_03.pdf

home page here.. Servicio Hidrográfico Oceanográfico de la Armada de Chile
Old 27-03-2016, 16:30   #13

Boat: a sailing boat

I am not 100% certain CF is a place where we should ask others how and why they want to visit the Antarctic. We are not an authority. We are a forum. People are free to do what they please and that's about that.

I am sorry, I do not have them charts. Try Admiralty, the British one and otherwise they probably still print them. Some agencies provide digitized products too.

I wish you happy cruising and exploration.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2016, 16:33   #14

And also the British Admiralty.... http://www.ukho.gov.uk/onlinecatalog...FilterMethod=1

Easiest way to find what they have is to download their digital chart catalogue which you can find here Admiralty Digital Catalogue
Old 27-03-2016, 21:20   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I am not 100% certain CF is a place where we should ask others how and why they want to visit the Antarctic. We are not an authority. We are a forum. People are free to do what they please and that's about that.
b.
Totally agree, we have absolutely no idea what stage the OPs preparations have reached..EDIT.... oh yes we do.... just looked at his profile... he is already 'out and about' in Patagonia.. 'abysmal lack of preparation'... oh really? end EDIT

I have just discovered that full coverage of the Peninsula is included in with all the other CM93 1.31 charts. They are free and readily available or you can presumably buy them from Jeppeson or whoever.

Tags
arc, charts