Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2015, 13:42   #1

Boat: Simonis 50
Animated User Icons

It is now possible to create animated PNG images - viewable in selected browsers. Is it possible to introduce the new animated PNG format or perhaps even normal GIF in OpenCPN? If so, it is then possible to create animated user icons for OpenCPN - see animated PNG user icon example below. At present, the animation is lost when inserted into OpenCPN.
Attached Images

svrevelations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2015, 15:19   #2

Re: Animated User Icons

Let me try again - this is a question to the OpenCPN developers.
The new .png format now allows .png images to be animated (similar o the .gif format) - see the enlarged animated .png example below. In future, can this new .png format be incorporated in OpenCPN? This will allow OpenCPN users to make animated usericons.
Attached Images

Old 22-06-2015, 15:39   #3

Boat: Phantom 19

Revelations...
Maybe, maybe not. Currently there is no support for animated PNGs in wxWidgets so it would be, to say the least, "a bit complicated". The amount of time I personally am willing to invest into such a feature is exactly none.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 03:15   #4

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

if you could give a compelling reason it would help as I cannot see a reason why it could be useful.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2015, 10:12   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
if you could give a compelling reason it would help as I cannot see a reason why it could be useful.
I see it only useful for animation of lights no more.
implemented in such maps C-MAP MAX and the Euronav SeaPro paired with S-57
Baikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2015, 16:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Revelations...
Maybe, maybe not. Currently there is no support for animated PNGs in wxWidgets so it would be, to say the least, "a bit complicated". The amount of time I personally am willing to invest into such a feature is exactly none.

Pavel
If the new .PNG animations are not supported by wxWidgets, how about the long standing animated .GIF format?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Far more than simply creating silly animated icons like blowing kisses, rolling eyes or similar, there are a number of valid reasons for animated icons;

1. It adds realism to charts.
2. It will be most useful for lights - especially light houses with timed light sequences,
3. User's can easily create all the light houses for the planned route for easy identification once on route - without having to search List of Light tables.
4. It will cause the icon to stand out against the clutter found in busy waters.
5. A database of these animated lights with it GPS co-ordinates can be made available to all users.
6. It will be another feature exclusive to OpenCPN.
7. And many other useful features.
Old 25-06-2015, 16:28   #7

Boat: Phantom 19

Revelations...
Still think it is totally useless and not worth the effort which would be involved. Do you really think that people will be creating animations with the patterns of the real world lights, including timing? They are not even creating and sharing normal icons a lot.
Implementing it for vector charts which contain data about the light pattern, maybe, but this animated bitmap idea is really not the way to do it.
And it is certainly question of personal preference, I simply like the charts looking like charts, not a Disney cartoon

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 01:57   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Revelations...
Still think it is totally useless and not worth the effort which would be involved. Do you really think that people will be creating animations with the patterns of the real world lights, including timing? They are not even creating and sharing normal icons a lot.
Implementing it for vector charts which contain data about the light pattern, maybe, but this animated bitmap idea is really not the way to do it.
And it is certainly question of personal preference, I simply like the charts looking like charts, not a Disney cartoon

Pavel
Disney cartoon? Hahaha - certainly not my situation. You also have the choice whether you want to use them or not. But I get your point and most people will probably not be willing to make icons as it is quite a bit of work - especially animated icons. But then are many people who simply do not know how to do it. As a matter of interest, there were 437 downloads of usericons the past 2 months from my website alone. As a result of another thread about animated icons, I had 4 PM's asking whether there has been progress. According to a MaxSea employee, they are considering proprietary animated icons. But no problem.
Old 27-06-2015, 01:08   #9

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelations View Post
2. It will be most useful for lights - especially light houses with timed light sequences,
If you can figure out a way to know which way the lighthouse light is aimed accurate to the second then it would be very useful and we can also implement it into the light sectors for vector charts.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote