Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2017, 16:47   #1

Boat: Shannon 37 cutter-ketch
Android: path to charts on SD card

Android Samsung S5:
How do I create a path to the SD Card where my NOAA charts are? I can put the charts in the system memory at /storage/emulated/0/BSB_ROOT which is, in the file directory, at Device storage/BSB_ROOT/
But, I don't have enough space in the Device storage. Only 16GB there with only 0.5GB left to use.
What is the path out of OpenCPN to get to /SC card/Charts/BSB_ROOT/ ??
Old 03-06-2017, 18:28   #2

Re: Android: path to charts on SD card

I had posted 2 replies about this topic earlier in a thread call "open cpn / android 6 / sony". Here is how I got this to work after the update to Android 6 prevented opencpn from accessing my SD card. These are the 2 posts combined. I hope this helps.

I had a similar problem after my tablet updated itself to Android 6.
Most programs can't see the SD card, but it turns out that opencpn can if you get the card's name correct. You need to get the card name that your phone or tablet uses. ES File explorer (you can get this from the Play Store) shows that name after you open a file or folder on the card. It's like 1234-5AB6. Each card is unique. Edit all lines in the conf file with the path to the Charts folder as /storage/1234-5AB6/Charts. Just use your own card's real name.

Just to be a little clearer, in my android phone and tablet the opencpn.conf file is in the internal storage folder "Android/data/org.opencpn.opencpn_free/files". I made a backup of that file, then copied the file to a Windows computer where I edited it with Wordpad. (Notepad doesn't handle the Unix style format as well as Wordpad does.) Then I copied that modifed file back to the Android device.

There are several lines to edit in the file:
(My charts are all in a folder called Charts.)

BaseChartDir=/storage/emulated/0/Charts ---- Change this to read:
BaseChartDir=/storage/1234-5AB6/Charts ---- Use your own SD card's name and base chart folder, though
(this is near the beginning of the file, about a quarter of the way through). Just change "emulated/0" to your card's name.

Near the end of the file, there are at least 2 other lines like:

InitChartDir=/storage/emulated/0/Charts/RNC (for an RNC file) ---- Change this to read:
InitChartDir=/storage/1234-5AB6/Charts/RNC (for an RNC file) --- Use your own SD card's name and chart folder though, and include all the folder path. Just change "emulated/0" to your card's name.
and:
ChartDir1=/storage/emulated/0/Charts/RNC^ ---- Change this to read:
ChartDir1=/storage/1234-5AB6/Charts/RNC^ (again for an RNC file) -- Use your own SD card's name and chart folder though, and include all the folder path. Just change "emulated/0" to your card's name.

There would be more lines if you have more chart files, but once you have those lines changed, you can add charts as you normally would, since opencpn can then see the chart folders on the card.

I have been able to get Opencpn to see the charts on the SD cards on a Samsung tablet and an Acer phone, both running Android 6. Since each uses a different SD card, the lines aren't the same in each. I expect it would work on most other brands, although the locations of the files might be different. I normally don't wirelessly download charts to the Android devices, I just copy them to the SD card on a computer, but today I tried that. There is a problem with permssions writing to the SD card, but if you create the download folder (named for what you're downloading) on the SD card first, you can then select that folder and download the charts to that folder wirelessly. They get used by opencpn without any extra steps.

If someone finds an easier way to do this, please post it.
cgwturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 00:58   #3
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Which android version of Opencpn are you using?
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:10   #4

I'm using the free version 4.2 by Maison Automatique. That's the most recent free one on the Playstore. I assume your Android version is 6 or 7. Opencpn had worked OK for me before my upgrade to Android 6. Since then I've had to use this procedure to get Opencpn to see the Charts on the SD card. Once you do it, though, you can add charts as normal since Opencpn can then access the card. I don't have Android 7 on my tablet or phone.

By the way, VLC player can also show you the SD card's name.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:17   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgwturner View Post
I'm using the free version 4.2 by Maison Automatique. That's the most recent free one on the Playstore..
Looking in playstore that version was updated Nov 2015 as opposed to the real version from Dave register updated Jan 2017.

Gets what you pays for
Old 04-06-2017, 07:06   #6

Hi conachair,
I hadn't realized that your question might have been directed to mtyler's post and not mine. I gather from your reply that the paid version of Opencpn running Android 6 or 7 doesn't have a problem accessing the SD card. If that problem has been solved with the paid version, it would be nice if you could confirm that, plus detail any other features it has over the free version.

I am quite happy with the free version. I like to solve problems so when Android 6 prevented SD card access, I didn't mind tackling that and posting a workaround for anyone it might help.
Old 04-06-2017, 07:26   #7
cruiser

Quote:
Hi conachair,
I hadn't realized that your question might have been directed to mtyler's post and not mine. I gather from your reply that the paid version of Opencpn running Android 6 or 7 doesn't have a problem accessing the SD card. If that problem has been solved with the paid version, it would be nice if you could confirm that, plus detail any other features it has over the free version.

I am quite happy with the free version. I like to solve problems so when Android 6 prevented SD card access, I didn't mind tackling that and posting a workaround for anyone it might help.
Sd card shows up in add chart directory on my Xperia in /storage/, didn't before. Not sure what features heave been added since Nov 2015, changelog somewhere might help. Do you have the dashboard and grib plugins? Both very useful on a tablet imho.
And also imho worth paying the small amount for the version direct from the developers so you get updates and help on the forums, feature requests etc.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:22   #8

Hi conachair,

The SD card now shows up in the add chart directory in both my Samsung tablet and Acer phone, but it didn't before the "workaround".

I don't have the two plugins you mentioned, just the world magnetic model and chart download plugins. The chart downloader works if you add the chart folder manually first, but otherwise Opencpn doesn't have the permissions to create a folder on the SD card. It certainly sounds like you have the better version, but for what I need, the free version is fine for me for now.

Just to confirm your Android version, is it 6 or 7, or 5 or lower?
Old 18-12-2018, 17:28   #9

I can not find two of the three lines you need changed. The BasechartDir and the ChartDir lines are not there.

Quote:
I had posted 2 replies about this topic earlier in a thread call "open cpn / android 6 / sony". Here is how I got this to work after the update to Android 6 prevented opencpn from accessing my SD card. These are the 2 posts combined. I hope this helps.

I had a similar problem after my tablet updated itself to Android 6.
Most programs can't see the SD card, but it turns out that opencpn can if you get the card's name correct. You need to get the card name that your phone or tablet uses. ES File explorer (you can get this from the Play Store) shows that name after you open a file or folder on the card. It's like 1234-5AB6. Each card is unique. Edit all lines in the conf file with the path to the Charts folder as /storage/1234-5AB6/Charts. Just use your own card's real name.

Just to be a little clearer, in my android phone and tablet the opencpn.conf file is in the internal storage folder "Android/data/org.opencpn.opencpn_free/files". I made a backup of that file, then copied the file to a Windows computer where I edited it with Wordpad. (Notepad doesn't handle the Unix style format as well as Wordpad does.) Then I copied that modifed file back to the Android device.

There are several lines to edit in the file:
(My charts are all in a folder called Charts.)

BaseChartDir=/storage/emulated/0/Charts ---- Change this to read:
BaseChartDir=/storage/1234-5AB6/Charts ---- Use your own SD card's name and base chart folder, though
(this is near the beginning of the file, about a quarter of the way through). Just change "emulated/0" to your card's name.

Near the end of the file, there are at least 2 other lines like:

InitChartDir=/storage/emulated/0/Charts/RNC (for an RNC file) ---- Change this to read:
InitChartDir=/storage/1234-5AB6/Charts/RNC (for an RNC file) --- Use your own SD card's name and chart folder though, and include all the folder path. Just change "emulated/0" to your card's name.
and:
ChartDir1=/storage/emulated/0/Charts/RNC^ ---- Change this to read:
ChartDir1=/storage/1234-5AB6/Charts/RNC^ (again for an RNC file) -- Use your own SD card's name and chart folder though, and include all the folder path. Just change "emulated/0" to your card's name.

There would be more lines if you have more chart files, but once you have those lines changed, you can add charts as you normally would, since opencpn can then see the chart folders on the card.

I have been able to get Opencpn to see the charts on the SD cards on a Samsung tablet and an Acer phone, both running Android 6. Since each uses a different SD card, the lines aren't the same in each. I expect it would work on most other brands, although the locations of the files might be different. I normally don't wirelessly download charts to the Android devices, I just copy them to the SD card on a computer, but today I tried that. There is a problem with permssions writing to the SD card, but if you create the download folder (named for what you're downloading) on the SD card first, you can then select that folder and download the charts to that folder wirelessly. They get used by opencpn without any extra steps.

Schuedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2018, 09:24   #10

Boat: BENETEAU

@Schuedog

Which Android Version are you speaking about ?

This thread is dated from 2017,

A new version 1.0.21 has just been released, could be an answer to your question.

The Official Android Paid version forum can be accessed : https://bigdumboat.com/aocpn/forum/f...play.php?fid=4

Serge
AISEAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 06:45   #11

Quote:

Unfortunately no. But it still works fine in 2019 on Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 running LineageOS 15.1 (Android 8.1.0 Oreo) Thanks a lot!
KrautHolg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2019, 07:33   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schuedog View Post
I can not find two of the three lines you need changed. The BasechartDir and the ChartDir lines are not there.

Initially I had exactly the same problem.

You have to first create and set the chart directory in your main storage (internal SD card) and then use OpenCPN and add it. Otherwise those lines will not be created in the opencpn.conf

Cheers!

KrautHolg
KrautHolg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2020, 14:07   #13

Boat: Leopard 40 Sailing Catamaran

Great set of posts... and it freed up A LOT of storage on #*&(@% tablet. I did need to run both the "Scan Charts and Update Database" and "Force Full Database Rebuild" to get OpenCPN to recognize the new locations. Don't know if both were needed to be run but I was getting pretty.... PO'D @ that point.

Also, once I copied files to SIM, I'm unable to then update those files via the Downloader. I don't really care at this point, but Sheesh. I do appreciate all the effort put into this package, there's a lot of work here!!

Tags
charts