Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2017, 12:01   #1

Android File Storage

I'm running OpenCPN Android on both a tablet with Android 4.0.3 and a phone with Android 6.0.1. I was able to get the tablet to find chart files on the SD Card -- you need to click add a directory by clicking on .. to go up /mnt/xternal_sdcard/ -- but using the phone I don't see how to get to the external SD Card. It doesn't accept the characters above as a new folder. It only recognized /storage/emulated and won't go "up" clicking on ".." . I'd like to have the charts on the SD Card because storage on the phone is getting full. Any ideas how to get OpenCPN to get there?
Ratty1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2017, 17:10   #2

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop
Re: Android File Storage

I am able to access sdcard/chart/rnc files, but I cannot update them with chartdwnloader. I expect that is because I created the directory by hand myself. I have kitkat.

I think if I were to define a chart directory on the C drive or main drive that will transfer to the android org.opencpn directory when I select under Apps to move to sdcard, then they might work better. Have not tried it using the Andriod tools to move the chart directory.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 20:39   #3

There are changes in later versions of android after version 4, that deny programmatic access to certain folders.
I do not have the details.
But I too would like to know the "correct" location to create the charts folder on android devices.
ebayironman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 21:36   #4

Boat: Hunter Legend 40.1

Try this: Go to Settings>Apps then select OpenCpn. Towards the bottom, select Permissions, and turn on storage.
hafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 21:39   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafa View Post
Try this: Go to Settings>Apps then select OpenCpn. Towards the bottom, select Permissions, and turn on storage.
Not trying to hijack thread.
I believe I have same problem/issue as the OP.
Thanks for suggestion.
Both Location and Storage enabled for OA.
Old 07-09-2017, 08:20   #6

I had earlier posted replies about this topic earlier in threads called "open cpn / android 6 / sony" and "Android: path to charts on SD card". Here is how I got this to work after the update to Android 6 prevented opencpn from accessing my SD card. These are the posts combined. I hope this helps. It's apparently not a problem in the paid version.

I had a similar problem after my tablet updated itself to Android 6.
Most programs can't see the SD card, but it turns out that opencpn can if you get the card's name correct. You need to get the card name that your phone or tablet uses. ES File explorer (you can get this from the Play Store) shows that name after you open a file or folder on the card. VLC media player can also show the card's name. It's like 1234-5AB6. Each card seems to be unique, although I have 2 identical size and brand cards that have the same name. Edit all lines in the conf file with the path to the Charts folder as /storage/1234-5AB6/Charts. Just use your own card's real name.

Just to be a little clearer, in my android phone and tablet the opencpn.conf file is in the internal storage folder "Android/data/org.opencpn.opencpn_free/files". I made a backup of that file, then copied the file to a Windows computer where I edited it with Wordpad. (Notepad doesn't handle the Unix style format as well as Wordpad does.) Then I copied that modifed file back to the Android device.

There are several lines to edit in the file:
(My charts are all in a folder called Charts.)

BaseChartDir=/storage/emulated/0/Charts ---- Change this to read:
BaseChartDir=/storage/1234-5AB6/Charts ---- Use your own SD card's name and base chart folder, though
(this is near the beginning of the file, about a quarter of the way through). Just change "emulated/0" to your card's name.

Near the end of the file, there are at least 2 other lines like:

InitChartDir=/storage/emulated/0/Charts/RNC (for an RNC file) ---- Change this to read:
InitChartDir=/storage/1234-5AB6/Charts/RNC (for an RNC file) --- Use your own SD card's name and chart folder though, and include all the folder path. Just change "emulated/0" to your card's name.
and:
ChartDir1=/storage/emulated/0/Charts/RNC^ ---- Change this to read:
ChartDir1=/storage/1234-5AB6/Charts/RNC^ (again for an RNC file) -- Use your own SD card's name and chart folder though, and include all the folder path. Just change "emulated/0" to your card's name.

There would be more lines if you have more chart files, but once you have those lines changed, you can add charts as you normally would, since opencpn can then see the chart folders on the card.

I have been able to get Opencpn to see the charts on the SD cards on a Samsung tablet and an Acer phone, both running Android 6. Since each uses a different SD card, the lines aren't the same in each. I expect it would work on most other brands, although the locations of the files might be different. I normally don't wirelessly download charts to the Android devices, I just copy them to the SD card on a computer, but today I tried that. There is a problem with permssions writing to the SD card, but if you create the download folder (named for what you're downloading) on the SD card first, you can then select that folder and download the charts to that folder wirelessly. They get used by opencpn without any extra steps.

If someone finds an easier way to do this, please post it.
cgwturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 14:50   #7

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Hmm... this might be an answer for another question "also show the card's name. It's like 1234-5AB6" . The File App I've used from day one no longer sees my chart folders for RNC or ENC which are on the EXT SD Card.

There have been updates to to OS too......
This is not a set it and forget it environment I think.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 19:49   #8

@cgwturner
Thanks for reposting that info.
I will give it a go.
Old 08-09-2017, 20:15   #9

Well, I spent like 3 hours going over this, and with the free app, I cannot get it to display maps. Even when all errors are gone. The paid app at $9.95 is a lot more time effective, IMHO.
Once purchased and installed, it just works, configuring the directories correctly, and alerting to any errors immediately, with corrective action stated.

Downloaded charts with built in chart downloader, and was immediately seeing maps and outlines that never showed up in the free version.

Thanks for all input.
Old 18-09-2017, 17:11   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by hafa View Post
It's "On."
Old 18-09-2017, 17:25   #11

I think I can have more than one location?
Old 18-09-2017, 21:35   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratty1978 View Post
I think I can have more than one location?
Yes, you can configure multiple file system paths.
The chart downloader plugin seems to automatically create the paths and folders as needed.
You can manually create paths, but the folders need to be there.
Old 19-05-2020, 19:26   #13

Boat: 42' Westsail, 32' Bayfield, 36' Pearson
Send a message via Skype™ to artisthos

I had not been able to get OpenCPN to work on my new Android for at least a year and just forgot about it but now I am hell bent to figuring this out.

I paid for it three years ago and three Androids later never had to pay again so I thought I was getting the official version. I wonder why the home page of OpenCPN does not list the official Android version in the download section.

Then I went looking and saw I was downloading the Maison Automatique version instead of the Dave Register version but still did not have to pay for it. I did sign in for the beta. It worked like a charm.

Cannot tell what version this is.

Now I’m configuring an instrument panel for a 32’ Bayfield and will install Dave’s on an Android pad and have it slide into a slot on the forward cockpit panel next to the larger part of the companionway bulkhead.

Thanks for a great group.

Tags
storage