Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2018, 05:55   #1

Thumbs up android chart generator (plugin?) Free maps

Hello,

I want to write an android application, which catches the depth data and generates a vector chart for opencpn.

For this project I am thinking of contracting freelance programmers, to make this job done efficiently and quickly.

Is there already map generating software?

Please give me some suggestions about possible features, how the integration with OCPN should be, and whats the "best" chart format for dynamic, local storage and portation to other devices.

thanks
kjetil
kjetil6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 06:13   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: android chart generator (plugin?) Free maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjetil6 View Post
Hello,

I want to write an android application, which catches the depth data and generates a vector chart for opencpn.

For this project I am thinking of contracting freelance programmers, to make this job done efficiently and quickly.

Is there already map generating software?

Please give me some suggestions about possible features, how the integration with OCPN should be, and whats the "best" chart format for dynamic, local storage and portation to other devices.

thanks
kjetil
Kjetil...

There are two "open" projects already doing such stuff. I suggest you have a careful look at them to see how far they got after years of effort and to understand the scale of the undertaking you outlined...
There is no vector chart generation software of this type for Android if you don't count the crowdsourcing features for depth data built into Garmin and Navionics as far as I can tell.

The only format that makes sense for the final product, except raw data in some form, is the standard IHO S-57, understood by everybody.

The integration with OpenCPN in any way is IMO not needed to collect the data (as you are going to develop your own Android application to do that), but once your service will have a server-side API, we can sure integrate it in a new plugin, rendering your Android app useless in such a case.
Once you start producing the charts, it would be nice to provide up to date catalog for the chart downloader plugin to help users keep your products up to date. When you are done with the gigantic project of collecting the data, processing/correcting them and producing the actual charts, feel free to contact me and I will help you with that.

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 06:14   #3

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 49

To what end?

Ever heard of crowdsourced bathymetry?
Old 21-05-2018, 07:02   #4

an android site app will produce more detailed charts, which can be used with opencpn locally immediately without any processing work and help other navigational charts on a boat with redundancy.
Old 21-05-2018, 07:30   #5

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

What type of depth sounder are you using? Most have nmea output. It is difficult to get the nmea data into android while also charging the device since there is typically only 1 usb port.

It would make more sense to extend the existing survey plugin which I believe already does what you are asking. This would show the collected soundings in realtime on the chart and allow editing as well. This could run on any platform supported by opencpn, including android.

I am busy compiling all the plugins to work on android. They work but many need modifications to the UI and graphics rendering.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 08:18   #6

Im using a simrad s2009 with nmea2000,nmea0183 and ethernet port.
The gps comes from hs60 unit.

Since all data ports have voltage on them, I guess, it is be possible to charge the phone with it.

The existing survey plugin is in development since 2012 and did not yield an effective product.

A dedicated chart app for android can solve the chartproblem, while not having issues with later ocpn versions.
Old 21-05-2018, 10:33   #7

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

This is a pretty good sized data set.
https://www.teamsurv.com/DATA/Views-Cesium
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 13:38   #8

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Im using a simrad s2009 with nmea2000,nmea0183 and ethernet port.
The gps comes from hs60 unit.

Since all data ports have voltage on them, I guess, it is be possible to charge the phone with it.
How is the nmea depth sound and gps data getting to the phone? Whatever computer is receiving nmea could just run the survey program, and then you wouldn't actually need a phone or android.

Quote:
The existing survey plugin is in development since 2012 and did not yield an effective product.
This is why I mention to extend it and complete the effort.functional
Quote:

A dedicated chart app for android can solve the chartproblem, while not having issues with later ocpn versions.
Well it is your decision what you choose to develop, but a dedicated app for survey will be blind. It will not be able to easily compare to the existing nautical charts, as well as other imported nautical data unless you think you can completely re-implement all chart rendering logic and everything else at which point you might not need opencpn anymore.

It makes more sense to use the survey plugin, and fix it, or write a new plugin to do what you want. Then you can make use of all the other opencpn features like draw plugin, autopilot routing your survey tracks, using tidal data for depth compensation etc... to generate your survey effectively while also supporting all different platforms so more people can use it, including android but not limited to it.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2018, 16:02   #9

To build new, is cheaper than fixing. the survey plugin is out of question.

how the data gets to android, this is the big question.

Since the simrad s2009 has an ethernetport, I would go for a ethernet-usb adapter. Its cheap and does supply voltage.
I need more research about the simrad ethernet specifications.(I appreciate some useful links)

opencpn has a major speed problem. any additional processing, especially map generation, would slow down the functionality.
I would rather suggest opencpn to interact with other apps, instead of other apps beeing implemented into the main program.

By building on android, one does not exclude other platforms. the chart data will be free and universal available and can be shared, stored and processed by any other available computer. Android phones can be used anywhere anytime to record depth data. Without the need of expensive additional hardware. Android development is cheap and the app will be ported to iOS and other hardware, if needed.

I will outsource the programming work and could need somebody, who has experience with rendering s 57 charts. (if you have experience with rendering charts, please pm me)
Old 21-05-2018, 16:07   #10

Quote:
To build new, is cheaper than fixing. the survey plugin is out of question.

how the data gets to android, this is the big question.

Since the simrad s2009 has an ethernetport, I would go for a ethernet-usb adapter. Its cheap and does supply voltage.

I need more research about the simrad ethernet specifications.

opencpn has a major speed problem. any additional processing, especially map generation, would slow down the functionality.
I would rather suggest opencpn to interact with other apps, instead of other apps beeing implemented into the main program.

By building on android, one does not exclude other platforms. the chart data will be free and universal available and can be shared, stored and processed by any other available computer. Android phones can be used anywhere anytime to record depth data. Without the need of expensive additional hardware. Android development is cheap and the app will be ported to iOS and other hardware, if needed.

I will outsource the programming work and could need somebody, who has experience with rendering s 57 charts.

so, anybody wants to make free maps for opencpn here?
You need more research. That is for sure I will be patiently waiting to help you with the final product integration into the chart downloader...
Old 21-05-2018, 16:11   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
It makes more sense to use the survey plugin, and fix it, or write a new plugin to do what you want.

I dont understand, what makes more sense to you? using the old software, rewriting the old software or writing new software?

for you all of it is better than an android app?

let me guess, you have an iphone?
Old 21-05-2018, 16:15   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
waiting to help you with the final product integration into the chart downloader...

the charts will be saved in the ocpn maps folder. if ocpn is refreshing its maps, everything should be smooth.
Old 21-05-2018, 16:17   #13

Quote:
the charts will be saved in the ocpn maps folder. if ocpn is refreshing its maps, everything should be smooth.
You really do need to do that research... To stay naive and keep the problems Android centric, I highly doubt you can write to other application's data structures on Android.
Old 21-05-2018, 16:22   #14

I dont write nothing to other programs. I want create free and unencrypted s57 charts. oCPN should be able to read this data. If it cant, thats on oCPN.
Old 21-05-2018, 16:27   #15

Quote:
I dont write nothing to other programs. I want create free and unencrypted s57 charts. oCPN should be able to read this data. If it cant, thats on oCPN.
As already said, looking forward to see your results and your code...

Tags
generator, plug