Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-02-2010, 00:33   #1

Anchor Watch Prototype

I start this thread to offload technical and maintenance matters from the Feature Request thread, more suited for general discussion about new features and ideas.

I attach two more in a series of source patches, implementing an Anchor Watch as described in Forums - Post 404535">this post.

The first kit - patch4_awm - (anchor watch, Mercator distances) is close to production quality, I think. It implements visual alarm only.

The second kit - patch4a_snd - implements an add-on sound alarm. It is clearly a throwaway experiment. It works, but does not co-exist well with the CPA alarm. The sound included is of unknown origin..

Piotr
Attached Files
File Type: doc patch4_awm.zip.doc (10.5 KB, 137 views)
File Type: doc patch4a_snd.zip.doc (11.9 KB, 100 views)
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 01:59   #2

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Hello Piotr, I haven't got proper internet at the moment (stuck in Alps), very much looking forward to test this asap.

Best regards
Old 06-03-2010, 03:41   #3

comment on sound for anchor watch alarm

Since I notice a steady trend in viewing this source (2:1) perhaps a word of comment is in order here.

The sound alarm above is done in proper way, just with 2 shortcuts: hardcoded filename for .wav and no. of seconds between. The reason I call it throwaway is that there is no synchronization with existing CPA alarm (a very possible conflict, if one anchors near a shipping route or harbour). The synchronization is very easy, but would require either a small change in the existing scope structure or (better) making a new infrastructure for handling all the possible alarms. This is an architect's decison. The intention of the patch is to probe for functionality.

Piotr
Old 06-03-2010, 10:30   #4

Boat: Tartan 30 - Bluegrass
Send a message via Yahoo to Psyches Send a message via Skype™ to Psyches
Quote:
Originally Posted by PjotrC View Post
Since I notice a steady trend in viewing this source (2:1) perhaps a word of comment is in order here.

The sound alarm above is done in proper way, just with 2 shortcuts: hardcoded filename for .wav and no. of seconds between. The reason I call it throwaway is that there is no synchronization with existing CPA alarm (a very possible conflict, if one anchors near a shipping route or harbour). The synchronization is very easy, but would require either a small change in the existing scope structure or (better) making a new infrastructure for handling all the possible alarms. This is an architect's decison. The intention of the patch is to probe for functionality.

Piotr
Piotr, thanks for your efforts here. FWIW I've done a quick look at the patches (not in code context, after application), and now I'm just waiting for folks to try it out. If it's needed, a temp build could be provided to make it easier for folks to give feedback.

After a bit of feedback and a closer review of the patches after application, I'm prepared check them in to be part of standard OpenCPN. I agree with your concern re: infra change for alarm handling, but maybe we can defer the arch work a bit. At least I have little time right now, and haven't heard from Dave in a long while.

Mark
Psyches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 08:35   #5

Boat: Sessa Oyster18 Mercury 90hp Carb
how can I install these updates patch

Quote:
I start this thread to offload technical and maintenance matters from the Feature Request thread, more suited for general discussion about new features and ideas.

I attach two more in a series of source patches, implementing an Anchor Watch as described in Forums - Post 404535">this post.

The first kit - patch4_awm - (anchor watch, Mercator distances) is close to production quality, I think. It implements visual alarm only.

The second kit - patch4a_snd - implements an add-on sound alarm. It is clearly a throwaway experiment. It works, but does not co-exist well with the CPA alarm. The sound included is of unknown origin..

Piotr
Hello, how can I install these updates patch.
Thank you, help me because my technical knowledge are considerably lower than yours.
Thank you.
Old 10-03-2010, 08:43   #6

Algarve...

What is your platform? I can probably help you with Windows, but not very much with Linux.

Did you already build OpenCPN 1.3.6 in base release version from source in your environment?

P.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:28   #7

Quote:
Algarve...

What is your platform? I can probably help you with Windows, but not very much with Linux.

Did you already build OpenCPN 1.3.6 in base release version from source in your environment?

P.
hello,
I have windows vista and already have OpenCPN 1.3.6 installed and working fine.
Old 10-03-2010, 09:35   #8

Did you build it by compiling the source in Visual Studio Ed2008 or did you install the binary package?
Old 10-03-2010, 10:26   #9

Quote:
Did you build it by compiling the source in Visual Studio Ed2008 or did you install the binary package?
hello, i install from here, OpenCPN | Get OpenCPN at SourceForge.net
Old 12-03-2010, 06:08   #10

Algarve...

Thank you for your patience.
The patches I published are _source_ patches, meant to amend the source code for people who can build OpenCPN. They are not applicable to binary packages.
I would like to avoid distributing a specific version of OCPN, for many reasons.
If you want to test my little changes under Vista, I can build for you a Win32 executable and email it to you for replacement in your installation. Please send me an email address for that. My email you can find in the readmes in the patch kits.

Cheers,

Piotr
Old 29-03-2010, 14:47   #11

Hello, I've finally gotten to check the anchor watch prototype as part of 2.1.0. For some reason it always looks like the AIS alarm ring (see screenshot), which changes size when zoomed (i.e. constant size on screen). Is this intentional? I can't find any way of determining the sensitivity (distance) etc for the alarm either.

Thanks for your time
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot.png
Views:	211
Size:	148.9 KB
ID:	14562  
Old 29-03-2010, 15:42   #12

Is it possible to create the route with a margin of safety for the vessel is within the channel just like the picture alongside, but a plan for a route?

forgive my bad English

Old 30-03-2010, 04:08   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by idpnd View Post
For some reason it always looks like the AIS alarm ring
Yes, anchor alarm does share the AIS alarm facility, so the looks is the same.

You can set the sensitivity (distance) by entering meters value into the mark name attribute. Positive values (drag alarm) trigger when distance becomes greater than set. Negative values (proximity alarm) trigger when distance becomes smaller than set value. Example:

mark A: 100 m (drag alarm)
mark B: -100 m (proximity alarm)

Happy anchoring!

P.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:35   #14

Did some (virtual) anchoring - works great, thanks very much Pjotr!

The positive/negative alarm modes are superb!

Reflecting on another person's "all marks should be alarmable", I have dreamt up the mark properties GUI as including the alarms system, i.e. right click: mark properties, then in there check box "alarm" to put an alarm on the mark. This would then change the "name" field in the window to "radius".

I should really learn to program this myself and make a really lame fork to incorporate my weird gui ideas
Old 02-04-2010, 10:28   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaseOnLife View Post
  • The alarm distance should not be "hidden" in the name of the waypoint but be a generic value to be set in opencpn, via config or rightclick menu
For sure the method of setting the distance should be at least easier to guess. But I still like the value in the name. LeaseOnLife is right that this should be a generic value for default (80% length of anchor chain?). How about this:

- the radius value is set in config file per each ship, default default = 75 meters
- when setting anchorwatch, the name of the mark is set to "<default> mtr" (if not suitable for distance already)
- the mark is then editable as usual, so one can adjust it
- even is someone does not know how to operate anchorwatch, (s)he will notice the change in mark name, and once the Mark Properties dialog is open, all becomes clear

Is it OK?

Tags
anchor