Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2015, 21:31   #1
Jd1

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII
Ancho watch alarm issue

Got a real weird issue in OCPN 4.0.0. I finally managed to set up with a bluetooth GPS (with extremely poor range but that's a question for another time).
When I have set up an anchor alarm and the alarm is active, it sounds only once .... that is until I move the mouse pointer. It will happily sound the alarm as long as I move the pointer but stops when I stop moving the pointer. The alarm condition is still active as confirmed by the display.
I was running with a USB gps puck before and have never had these issues but have upgraded Ubuntu 15.04 software a few times between when things were working and now.
Switching back to a USB input connection (but not actually connecting a USB gps) shows the single alarm issue as well so I suspect something happened during upgrades of the Ubuntu software.
Has anybody seen this issue or is it just me ?
Jd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 00:53   #2
Jd1

Re: Ancho watch alarm issue

Further experimentation suggests an actual OCPN issue.
Switching to a USB puck got me back into the constant alarm sounding when an alarm condition exists. Removing all GPS input by disabling all connections will give me an alarm on the screen but no audible alarm unless I move the pointer. BTW, the pointer has to move over the OCPN screen to hear the alarm.
Last an only somewhat related question - is anybody actually using a bluetooth GPS for real life use? The reason I am asking is that for some reason my bluetooth connection, after having worked fine for some time, decided to go south and all the steps that got me to a working connection did not succeed. Things seem to be kinda flakey ...... the USB puck connection has always been rock solid.
Old 28-10-2015, 02:42   #3

Boat: Amel Sharki

Can you be a little bit more specific please. What kind of brand your bluetooth device is? Are you able to make a VDR file and post it here?

I use since several years bluetooth devices also to convert serial data into bluetooth transmit via Firefly or LM048 devices. However there are GPS bluetooth devices on the market with very different features. Some of them are really unusable.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 08:19   #4
Jd1

Thanks for your reply Gerhard.
The GPS unit is a GlobalSat BT-821C.
I do not know what a VDR file is but if you give me a hint I will see if I can generate it and post it.
Please note that as per post #2, the issue of an alarm condition without audible output unless the mouse pointer is moved seems to be readily reproducible by disabling all GPS input 'connections'.
Old 28-10-2015, 08:35   #5

VDR is the Voyage Data Recorder which can save any NMEA data to a file. You get it here: PlugIns | Official OpenCPN Homepage (scroll down the page).

Examinating your VDR file may help to understand what happened. Your descriptions points also to a possible bug in OpenCPN not to produce sounds.

Gerhard
Old 28-10-2015, 09:09   #6
Jd1

I am not sure how this will help since it is only a recording of GPS data but I did run a recording. I removed all data input 'connections' and reproduced the visual alarm without audio alarm and then put everything back to normal.

Edit: I had the file attached but it didn't come through .... any hints on how to attach it ?

Edit 2: changed file to be a .txt file but exceeded the maximum 1000 byte limit for the file type .... suggestions ?
Old 28-10-2015, 09:26   #7
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

Use a .doc extension.
And compressing the file helps in case it is very "heavy"
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 09:51   #8
Jd1

trying with a .doc extension
Attached Files
File Type: doc ocpn test.doc (113.5 KB, 39 views)
Old 28-10-2015, 11:26   #9

Thank you for your file. Replaying it here I see the GPS signals are rather instable. Position of the boat flips very much and although the boat is at anchor it drifts sometimes with more than 0,5 knots.

I have got a similiar behavior with a Hamlet bluetooth GPS solar powered (HBTGPSOL) device. Actually I use a Qstarz 818XT switchable to 1 Hz or 10 Hz which is very stable however not the very best on the market. These devices are mostly manufactured in far east and they use the cheapest chips available.

Gerhard
Old 28-10-2015, 12:43   #10
Jd1

The file was generated completely with a BU-353 which has been performing rock steady for me. As I mentioned, I was unable to re-connect with the bluetooth GPS. I was under the impression we were testing the audio issue so didn't worry about the GPS itself.
The bluetooth GPS is nowhere near as steady but that is possibly due to the poor range which seems to be less than 6 feet when going through a wood bulkhead from the nav desk to the rear cabin.

If you had a budget of under $200, which bluetooth GPS would you purchase if you didn't want to haul a USB puck around the boat with you ?
Old 28-10-2015, 12:57   #11

The Qstarz I mentioned above was for $80. The other one I have was bought because it has a solar panel and I thought that's nice to charge it's battery but it is too instable. It was for less than $60. So I don't speak for expensive devices but for a good quality.

Gerhard
Old 28-10-2015, 14:34   #12

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Carcode, Gerhard is this Firefly?
Firefly first transmission and open source software repository — Evadot
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 02:02   #13

Quote: