Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2013, 13:47   #1

Am I doing this right

I was working up a sailing plan for a trip a couple of weeks from now. So I laid the desired courses and click on the tidal current along the route and tides at shallow points.

First - I always had to change the date from the current date to the proposed date.
Second - I had to use measure tool to calculate the current triangle which doesn't leave an audit trail.
Third - I had to use a different app to store the plan (spread sheet).
Finally - I would have to repeat those three steps if I wanted to play what if games -- Trying to avoid a negative tide depth at departure/arrival versus max flood through the straight.

So am I doing this wrong? Looking through the documentation I see reference to "Chart Work" but it was not on the list of plugins nor does google/sourceforge find it.
Andifreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 06:47   #2

Re: Am I doing this right

Right, I think you definitely ask the right questions. It is surprisingly hard to find support for basic passage planning in otherwise very advanced nav software...

Standard OCPN will help you a bit in your first and final step. True, it does not store the departure date/time with the route, but if you are planning some weeks from now, this is usually not so much in a hurry. You may find it a little easier to enter ">" as departure time (followed by "Enter" key), then just edit the part of date/time you want changed and hit "Enter" key again to play what-if scenarios.

The tide state can be seen in the route plan, either at all waypoints - relative to the single chosen tide station, or - at many selected tide stations, different per each waypoint. Just have a look at the user's manual section about routes (hint: enable the tides/currents and look at what happens if you have waypoints named as "@~~xxxxx", e.g "@~~DOVER"). I agree that similar information should be shown about tidal currents, but I simply had no time to implement this before putting out to sea last year... so this functionality exists only with GRIB data in a limited edition of OCPN...

For an example view you might look at the Forums - Post 1206696">-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-screenshot-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-here-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww- e.g. in the weather routing thread.

I think someone was working on the capability to export route plan to a spreadsheet file, don't know the current status.

Good luck in your planned trip!

PS. I seem to have trouble properly including the link... looks good on preview, but fails in real access... what I meant is in my post at page #5 of weather routing thread.
PjotrC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 07:02   #3

Boat: Phantom 19

BTW, I'm currently working on making this usable by humans. It will appear in some of the next 3.3 betas...

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2013, 11:58   #4

Thanks

I see the current info when I move the waypoints from the bouys or ranged-points to the tidal information icons on the right button popup. But put them back so the plan can be executed with eye balls.

I got side tracked by http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-97251-10.html, which seemed to imply that I shouldn't bother. But by the end of the thread, it looks like I should plot the CTS track in addition to the DL track.
Andifreed is offline   Reply With Quote