Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-09-2010, 19:06   #1
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

'Always on Top' How-to Instructions!

I have been using Linux since Red Hat 5! Lots of experience compiling and installing programs - even back in the days when the only way you discovered the source file you were attempting to compile had missing dependencies. Took many downloads of other source files that in turn had their own dependencies. I have successfully installed kdenlive using cmake, after compiling and installing the program's considerable number of dependencies. Order of compilation and installation itself is an issue. Difference is, the kdenlive maintainers clearly state what dependencies are necessary and for the most part where to get them.

Compiling and installing opencpn from source is problematic because this kind of guidance is missing. Which flavours of some dependencies are needed. Perl or some other format? Regarding development packages, which of those are required as well?

In all of my experience with Linux, I have never come as close to giving up as I am to abandoning my effort compiling and installing opencpn as now. All of the source dependencies I know of compile and install error free. But, opencpn still refuses to give.

How about specifics regarding dependencies and where they can be obtained? Order of installation and such?

Thanks,
Bob (svarmido)
PorkLoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 05:09   #2
Marine Service Provider

svarmado.....

Sorry you are having such trouble building.

Lets start from the beginning:

We need wxWidgets 2.8.x compiled and running on your platform, with the wxWidgets samples built and tested. Are we OK so far?

I generally use the following wxWidgets configure command:

Code:
  ../configure --with-gtk --with-opengl  --enable-graphics_ctx
Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 06:33   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by svarmido View Post
I have been using Linux since Red Hat 5!
I had a similar experience, since the distributions of the early 90's. What gives me piece of mind now is debian (and its derivatives, such as ubuntu), having a package manager that fixes dependencies (if the packages are properly built).

In the case of opencpn, I don't know if the ".deb" package solves dependencies or not, since I already have them in my system. In any case, as said above, is not that hard. I you survived building kde, you'll certainly do this with your pinky.

dpons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 09:13   #4

Boat: Dufour 35
Bob

I started Linux with Red Hat 6.2 and kernel 2.2.9(I think), but gave up on Red Hat with Fedora 2, but that's another story.
Unfortunately we don't have many users who have Fedora installed. It sure would be nice if someone could maintain a rpm package and write a wiki entry on how to compile using Fedora.

I installed OpenCPN on Fedora 11 and posted my experience.

Would my approach in that post, still work with Fedora 13?

Thomas

PS Check this post:Fedora Package Review -- [Bug 612224] New: Review Request: opencpn - An open source chart plotter/navigator and the following posts in the opencpn thread.
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2010, 15:34   #5

Boat: Flush Poker, 8.25m (Point Barre)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Unfortunately we don't have many users who have Fedora installed. It sure would be nice if someone could maintain a rpm package and write a wiki entry on how to compile using Fedora.
Well, I'm using Fedora daily, that's part of my job. I'm using GNU/Linux since about 15 years now, I must have Red Hat 4.? floppies laying somewhere.

I updated Compiling the Source in Linux | Official OpenCPN Homepage a few hours ago to include Fedora/CentOS build process.
The only problem with Fedora 13 is with shipped CMake version, there's a bug that fail to include a lib, you should upgrade to the latest CMake binary available on their website (or from rawhide, it works)

Thomas, make package do create .rpm, can you include it in Download OpenCPN | Official OpenCPN Homepage It should install fine with all the deps required for Fedora.
SethDart is offline   Reply With Quote