Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2015, 10:00   #1

Boat: Cheoy Lee 33 Ketch
Aismon to open cpn

I have been fighting with this for several days now. So I have come to the higher powers for help. I have SDR# then VItual cables to aismon. That all shows fine. Aismon is registering good hits in the 98% range. Output on aismon is UDP iport 127.0.0.1:10110 open cpn has UDP address 127.0.0.1 data port 10110. I have tried clicking on the ais icon in the toolbar to toggle on and off but still no results. Any help with what I've missed will be appreciated. Thanks John

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 01-03-2015, 09:42   #2

Re: Aismon to open cpn

So after even more searches today am I correct that using the method I described above will not work unless connected to the internet?? If anybody has any ideas I could sure use one. Thanks again John

1976 Cheoy Lee
33 Ketch
Mandeville Louisiana
Old 01-03-2015, 10:41   #3
bcn

Boat: Rangeboat 39

John,

can you post a screen shot of your communication settings (OCPN|Options|connections) ?
bcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 14:16   #4

BCN
I got the two to communicate when I tethered my phone as a hotspot. So after looking for a while longer I'm now trying to set up a virtual com port between the two so Internet is not required. So if anyone has suggestions I'm open.

Closer but not there yet.
Thanks
John

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 01-03-2015, 22:10   #5

Boat: Nidelv 28, 28ft
Send a message via Skype™ to HotRod

Setup a virtual network card with fixed IP so that it registers as UP (connected) and set aismon to output on that.
Set OCPN to listen to that same IP and port or even localhost:your_port_number.

I guess whan you use 127.0.0.1 it's not physically connected to a router and then not registered as UP (connected). Then 127.0.0.1 would not work as loopback. Maybe setting fixed IP on this would work? That I don't know.

Hope this helps you.
HotRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2015, 08:19   #6

Boat: Najad 34

All..
For internal UDP-network communication in Windows I use these methods:

Within one PC: (When not connected to any network)
Sender:
IP:127.0.0.1 / 10110 (Don't forget to uncheck "Receive data on this port" and check "Send data...")
Receiver(s):
IP: 0.0.0.0 / 10110

When connected to a local net and you want all machines to receive:
Sender:
IP:192.168.x.x / 10110 (Don't forget to uncheck "Receive data on this port and check "Send data..." And, yes...use the letter "x")
Receiver(s):
IP: 0.0.0.0 / 10110

Håkan
Hakan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 01:54   #7

Boat: Westerly Oceanlord

Caveats are that I don't really do Windows, I don't know AISmon and due to the combination of a recent disc calamity and being at the end of my data plan until the new "month" starts in a few days, I don't currently have the OpenCPN source. But...

If using OpenCPN 4.0 and AISmon is sending data to 127.0.0.1, udp port 10110 on the data connections screen you'd want:
Connection type "Network"
Protocol UDP
Address: 0.0.0.0
DataPort 10110
Priority (unless you have other AIS sources, doesn't matter)
Checksum: Yes if AISmon correctly outputs this
Check "Receive input on this port" (should be default) and don't check "Output on this port" (unchecked should be default).

IIRC (see "don't have source", above :-) whatever you put for address, OpenCPN will *receive* on all addresses for all interfaces it listens on so best to make that explicit with the wildcard "0.0.0.0")

With the "I don't know much about windows" caveat applied (so "generally speaking"), you should be able to send to a loopback interface if an external interface is down. If Windows can't do that I'd find it "surprising". If you can send when the external interface is up I'd be questioning where AISmon is really sending the traffic. In many unix-y OSes it's possible for a privileged application to override the routing table and send via a particular interface but (a) that's network-** people don't generally do and (b) there's no *need* for it here. Remember, OpenCPN will receive on any address it listens for (i.e. all its interface addresses and all broadcast addresses) so just because you put "127.0.0.1" into the box doesn't mean that's what the data is being sent to when it successfully receives.

I'd normally attack the problem with wireshark: see what's being sent on the loopback interface and see what's being sent on the external interface when tethered, but that's a bit too involved for many people. Got a pointer to the documentation for AISmon? A bit of googling didn't turn it up for me
muttnik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, open cpn