Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2011, 11:39   #1
bzs

AIS with Internet

Short question:

Is my apparatus solvable bound onto AIS Internet in such a way that AIS is not meanwhile?

I saw some superb examples this way:

web:
Ship positions & movements in Greece Live | Automatic Identification System (AIS)
Meteomalaga - Live Maritime Data

progs:
noaadata-py 0.43 : Python Package Index
GNU AIS - Automatic Identification System for Linux
bzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 11:58   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Re: AIS with Internet

Sorry, I don't quite understand. Are you asking if AIS websites can be used instead of having onboard AIS?

It's not the safest thing to do because there will always be a time lag between what the website is displaying and what is currently occurring.

Onboard AIS is so inexpensive now that I would go ahead and purchase it. This way you know with certainty that there will not be a big time lag.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 15:19   #3

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

David is right of course,I think you can buy a 'B' class AIS receiver for around Dlrs 200.- these days.

Additionally,and this is only when you have internet connection on board,you can make FREE use of several good world-wide AIS networks such as:

marinetraffic-Mapa de Navios em tempo real -AIS -Trafego de Navios e Posições (mapa maritimo)

Siitech-Login

Tore
Old 13-11-2011, 03:38   #4
bzs

I know, that it's not safe, but I do not want it to be.
I want to avoid big ships because I am afraid of them.

AIS I cannot fix an apparatus onto my ship, drawn too small one to it.

This is my small ship:

(I can use internet on a mainland only, my crossings max. 40 miles...)

I reflect on what you said whatever.
bzs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 04:12   #5

Boat: Swan 56

Taking AIS information from websites for the purposes of navigation is nuts.

In my humble opinion
bewitched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 08:14   #6

Boat: 29'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzs View Post
I know, that it's not safe, but I do not want it to be.
I want to avoid big ships because I am afraid of them.

AIS I cannot fix an apparatus onto my ship, drawn too small one to it.

This is my small ship:

(I can use internet on a mainland only, my crossings max. 40 miles...)

I reflect on what you said whatever.

You have a small boat? maybe try Sinbad's link on a smart phone..like a Nokia or something.The Siitech one is pretty good and you can create a link for your area ...http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post641264

I haven't got a smart phone and my midp2.0 java phone won't quite do it ..but something like this should work,somehow....while a cell data usb dongle for laptop should definitely work but it's a bit of $$$

also try this one...
Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions
(bewitched,it is better than nothing,especially where there is not a lot of fast moving traffic- and even then,it helps to indicate predictable traffic...ferries,their routes,their names and whatnot.)

Or...better,for poor folk,check this out
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post755080
and plug it into OpenCPN...
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 09:02   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

It is better than nothing but be aware of its limitations. It will never be real time and you will never know with certainty the time difference.

Also, if you lose your cellular link to shore, it is worthless.

For not a whole lot of money, why not get the real thing?

I am certain you get charged for using your cellular connection as well. How long will it be before the additional cellular charges are greater than the cost of buying a real AIS receiver?

Once you buy the AIS receiver, there are no more additional charges plus you are not restricted to being in a cellular reception site for it to work.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 18:23   #8

Boat: Tollycraft 34' Tri-cabin

There are two things that an Internet type connection can provide a user: 1) look at the identity of a vessel you wish to call directly and hail them on the vhf, you will have a better chance of a response that way, 2) look ahead even around islands to check traffic instead of calling local traffic control.
sgschwend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 20:52   #9
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgschwend View Post
There are two things that an Internet type connection can provide a user: 1) look at the identity of a vessel you wish to call directly and hail them on the vhf, you will have a better chance of a response that way, 2) look ahead even around islands to check traffic instead of calling local traffic control.
Live AIS does both those same things.

The only thing the internet connection gives me is I can now see vessels that are too far away for me to receive the signal.

If they are too far away for me to receive normally, I don't care where they are.

And I certainly don't care where they were several minutes ago (or how ever long the delay is for that signal for that site at that moment).

I wonder what you'd get if you get a live signal that there is boat A 1 mile from you closing in, then you get the 5 minute delayed packet from the internet that boat A is 10 miles away. I think showing internet AIS in a live navigation program is only introducing dangerous noise.

For me, internet AIS is only useful for armchair sailing. And there it's very cool.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 23:03   #10
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
Maybe it is me, but I think you are looking to replace situational awareness with technology. AIS will tell you where the ship is now, looking at your boat, I will guess your cruise speed is 3 maybe 4 kts? Allowing for drift, current, using the head snack time, etc.... There is no way you can plot and thereby avoid an intercept course with a large vessel that is far off.

Having done many 30-40 milers and a 90+ mile crossing, the best AIS is your ears and a swivel neck- especially by shipping lanes and routes taken by yahoos. But judging by the look of the photo and your post, you probably already experienced that.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2011, 23:35   #11

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
Live AIS does both those same things.

The only thing the internet connection gives me is I can now see vessels that are too far away for me to receive the signal.

If they are too far away for me to receive normally, I don't care where they are.

And I certainly don't care where they were several minutes ago (or how ever long the delay is for that signal for that site at that moment).

I wonder what you'd get if you get a live signal that there is boat A 1 mile from you closing in, then you get the 5 minute delayed packet from the internet that boat A is 10 miles away. I think showing internet AIS in a live navigation program is only introducing dangerous noise.

For me, internet AIS is only useful for armchair sailing. And there it's very cool.

-dan
You are not getting the whole picture via an Internet connection AIS site. There are large gaps of coverage and the delay is undetermined. Also I have found some shote stations that feed those sites (such as in the NYC area) do not receive Class B AIS signals.

I have AIS aboard and have compared the Internet signals from MarineTraffic.com from NY to Boston recently.
SailFastTri is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2011, 07:03   #12

Gentlemen!

Whilst I must admit that the ability to follow ships voyages across the seas gives the much aligned 'armchair sailors' inmesurable pleasure,I do not think the intrepid sailor in action on the high seas should ignore ANY information contributing to his intelligent evaluation of his position and possible dangers.

Ignoring and refusing to evaluate AIS information received over internet is like refusing to accept weather prognosis because it may be inaccurate.

The navigator's conception of his situation relies on a great many factors which all contribute to give a position as accurate as the sum of information received.
A prudent navigator is constantly evaluating the information received.

Tore
Old 15-11-2011, 07:14   #13
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Theres no way that AIS over the Internet could be used onboard. It's not do much as inaccurate as completely mis-leading. It relies on a network of amateur listeners And frequently is no where near real time. An on board receiver is far and away a better system.

Dave
Old 15-11-2011, 07:34   #14

goboatingnow

Of course an on board AIS receiver is more accurate in the immediate vicinity of your boat,BUT, it has a very limited range,and is unable to see ANY oncoming traffic beyond that range. Nor can it check for the whereabouts of any ship outside your own limited range. What if you would like to call a ship outside your range if you could not see it's name or callsign? Again,please read carefully my arguments in # 12

I agree with Dave that internet derived AIS information should not be an integral part of OCPN but can be accessed using the Route Manager's 'Additional information' box with links to several internet based AIS networks without having to leave your OCPN map.

Tore
Old 15-11-2011, 08:29   #15

Boat: 29'

I have a good way to check internet AIS timelapse...ferries,with a schedule in hand.
I wouldn't stake my life on it ...but if I have a rough overview of some ships within a hundred miles of me before I set sail,that's a handy thing.
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, internet