Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2011, 08:57   #1

AIS Receiver Compatible with OpenCPN

Hi friends,

i'd like to build infrastructure for receiving AIS signal which is transmitted by ship. I plan to use OpenCPN for mapping the ship ,which is covered by AIS receiver, on the map and display it. But, i don't get an information which is suitable AIS receiver that compatible with OpenCPN platform.

if you have an information about AIS receiver which is compatible with OpenCPN please shared with me

Thanks,
Yanuar
yanuar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 12:00   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Sailing vessels up to 200 tons
Re: AIS Receiver Compatible with OpenCPN

NASA AIS Engine 3 is what I use......

Delivering boats for a living - no more!
edsailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 12:57   #3

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7

Yanuar...

Basically ALL AIS receivers and transponders are compatible with OpenCPN.
The cheapest receiver on the market today is the Marine Gadget Radar at UK pounds 99.- It is a small USB receiver in pendrive size with no external power requirements. It is a two channel receiver,reading one at the time. The Nasa products are also very popular and low cost.

If you lash out and purchase an 'A' class transponder type,then existing satellite based AIS stations will also receive your signals across the oceans,otherwise only within range of internet wi-fi networks.

You can have a taste here:
Quote:
World AIS
Tore
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MarineGadgetRadar.gif
Views:	472
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	26549  
Old 24-04-2011, 14:10   #4

You can modify any VHF receiver capable of receiving AIS signals - it doesn't have to be an expensive dedicated AIS box. I use an old Tandy Realistic scanner that I have had for years. You need to modify the discriminator so you need a little dexterity with a soldering iron but it's not difficult. This link Discriminator Output will show you how. Click on the links down the LHS if you have a receiver in mind.
Tony
tonyappuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 14:45   #5
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyappuk View Post
You can modify any VHF receiver capable of receiving AIS signals - it doesn't have to be an expensive dedicated AIS box. I use an old Tandy Realistic scanner that I have had for years. You need to modify the discriminator so you need a little dexterity with a soldering iron but it's not difficult. This link Discriminator Output will show you how. Click on the links down the LHS if you have a receiver in mind.
Tony
Note: AIS broadcasts on two different channels for transmission collision avoidance. It automatically switches between these two based on traffic on the channels. It's totally automatic. So, a ship may transmit on only one channel if there is no interference, but if another ship comes into range using the same channel, it may switch to another channel and stick with that one for a while.

A modified VHF radio will only pick up one channel. So you'll miss some signals. The same caveat applies to some really cheap AIS receivers that only receive one channel. Receivers that multiplex (and the same would apply to a modified VHF scanner) will miss less, but could still miss transmissions.

Two modified cheap VHF receivers would work fine as long as your software can take two AIS inputs.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 18:04   #6

Dan
I'm sure you are right but if you just want to see how Opencpn handles AIS information this is a very cheap way to do it. In my trolling about in the Solent it just might help me avoid hitting another boat and I've had great pleasure as an old retired electronics engineer, making it work.
Tony
tonyappuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 19:06   #7
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyappuk View Post
Dan
I'm sure you are right but if you just want to see how Opencpn handles AIS information this is a very cheap way to do it. In my trolling about in the Solent it just might help me avoid hitting another boat and I've had great pleasure as an old retired electronics engineer, making it work.
Tony
Tony,

Absolutely. That's exactly the kind of project I'd do. Sounds like fun.

I only posted what I did to make sure people know the limitations if they are looking for a working solution for their boat.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais