Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-05-2012, 09:02   #1

AIS from VHF

question folks if I connect the nema out from my vhf to the the serial in on my pc will a locater show up on the chart for the distress ais when it is received just asking as I figured if it doesn't then I would not bother running the wires
yonubear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2012, 04:53   #2

Boat: Journeyman
Re: AIS from VHF

If you VHF has AIS, and a serial output port for AIS data, then the answer is soon yes. OpenCPN 3.0, which is coming out really soon now (you can run the beta releases if you are in a hurry) has good support for AIS SART devices.

In release 2.5 you will only see an unknown target icon.

Note that standard NMEA0183 is not the same as AIS data. The baud-rate, data format and content are different. So your VHF needs to have AIS out, not NMEA0183 out.
JesperWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2012, 22:07   #3

ok thanks and the radio asfar as I can tell has nmea0183 output wasn't sure they manual has it word that when a DSC call is recieved the location will be marked on chartplotter so I wasn't sure if opencpn would do with the data. I just didn't want to run wires for no reason

Thanks,
yonubear
Old 21-05-2012, 08:30   #4

Boat: Journeyman

DSC is not the same as AIS, it's a different system. And for your information, the DSC system has been around for over 10 years but almost no one is ever using it.

It does not sound like your VHF has AIS in this case.
/j
JesperWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 08:39   #5
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
DSC is not the same as AIS, it's a different system. And for your information, the DSC system has been around for over 10 years but almost no one is ever using it.
Actually the whole world uses it everyday. (leaving aside the Rescue 21 fiasco).
Old 21-05-2012, 09:47   #6
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Actually the whole world uses it everyday. (leaving aside the Rescue 21 fiasco).
Not quite the whole world, maybe just your part of it .

From AMSA:
"In Australian waters, VHF DSC is for ship-to-ship alerting. There is no
official shore-based infrastructure but there are a number of volunteer marine rescue (VMR) stations that have installed VHF DSC and a check with your local VMR should be made."
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2012, 10:54   #7
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Not quite the whole world, maybe just your part of it .

From AMSA:
"In Australian waters, VHF DSC is for ship-to-ship alerting. There is no
official shore-based infrastructure but there are a number of volunteer marine rescue (VMR) stations that have installed VHF DSC and a check with your local VMR should be made."
selective quoting being great of course, there is an network of DSC equipped HF stations. DSC being very much part of the Australian thinking.

Only the US of all industrialized nations, goofed up with GMDSS and DSC and is now frantically playing catch-up and is experiencing the problems that were experienced 15-20 years ago elsewhere.

"The Australian Maritime Safety Authority is responsible for the maintenance of a high-frequency (HF) DSC capability in Australia for shipping, meeting the requirements for operating under the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS). Other vessels, with HF DSC equipment, may also use the service
for distress alerting, urgency and safety-priority communications"
Old 21-05-2012, 16:27   #8

Quote:
selective quoting being great of course, there is an network of DSC equipped HF stations. DSC being very much part of the Australian thinking.

Only the US of all industrialized nations, goofed up with GMDSS and DSC and is now frantically playing catch-up and is experiencing the problems that were experienced 15-20 years ago elsewhere.

"The Australian Maritime Safety Authority is responsible for the maintenance of a high-frequency (HF) DSC capability in Australia for shipping, meeting the requirements for operating under the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS). Other vessels, with HF DSC equipment, may also use the service
for distress alerting, urgency and safety-priority communications"
Huh, wasn't this thread titled "AIS from VHF" with all posts to date referring to VHF; pardon me for not keeping up with the drift into HF systems, I didn't read that in your earlier post - must be my bad .

You are of course correct that the Aussie HF network replies heavily of HF DSC.

However the point I was making was to correct the notion that VHF DSC was used everyday by the whole world. Now that you have confirmed it in a round about way, I will consider the point to have been made.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 21-05-2012, 16:57   #9
Nearly an old salt

Im not looking for a scrap here Wotname, The fact is even in the US with Rescue 21 VHF DSC has been adopted. Its a mainstay of GMDSS. Just what are you trying to prove. You countered my comment my using Australia as a point. The lack of VHF DSC in Australia has nothing to do with DSC and everything to do with VHF and a huge almost empty coastline.

The fact is VHF DSC is in use all over the world. what point are you trying to make, that DSC isn't used , of course it is.

remember I was countering your quite ridiculous claim

" the DSC system has been around for over 10 years but almost no one is ever using it."

Thats just nonsense

heres a sample from an Australian company

"Complete implementation of the GMDSS in Papua New Guinea (PNG) - currently underway. This includes upgrade of the Coast Radio Network to GMDSS A3 and A1 standard, upgrade of the rescue coordination centre and the PNG Maritime College, review/rewrite of marine radio legislation and training of Coast Station staff and marine radio surveyors.

Design and installation of a GMDSS Sea Area A1 and A3 Coast Radio Station in the Solomon Islands (currently underway).

Design and installation of a GMDSS Sea Area A1 and A2 Coast Radio network for the Government of Taiwan (currently underway).

Design and delivery of a GMDSS Sea Area A1 and A2 Coast Radio station for Iraq.

Design and installation of a GMDSS Sea Area A1, A2 and A3 Coast Radio Station in Thailand.

Design and delivery of a GMDSS Sea Area A1 Coast Radio station for South Korea.

Design and installation of a GMDSS Sea Area A1 and A2 Coast Radio Station for the Indonesian Coast Guard at Bangka Island.

Design and supply of a GMDSS Sea Area A1 Coast Radio Network for the Thailand Coast Guard.

Design and installation of a GMDSS Sea Area A2 and A3 Coast Station in Mauritius.
Upgrade of the Namibian Coast Radio Network to GMDSS Sea Area A1 and A3 standard. This involved new HF and VHF radio facilities and a new DSC system.

Design and project management of GMDSS implementation at the Shanghai (China) Coast Radio Station - on behalf of the Australian Government International Aid Agency, AusAID.

Design and costing of a complete GMDSS Coast Radio Station Development Plan for the Pacific Region - on behalf of the International Maritime Organization (IMO).

Design and installation of a GMDSS radio system at the Australian Rescue Coordination Centre.

Dunstan and Associates and our partner company TransOceana have also completed GMDSS Coast Radio Station projects in Chile and France."
Old 22-05-2012, 01:09   #10

Quote:
Im not looking for a scrap here Wotname, The fact is even in the US with Rescue 21 VHF DSC has been adopted. Its a mainstay of GMDSS. Just what are you trying to prove. You countered my comment my using Australia as a point. The lack of VHF DSC in Australia has nothing to do with DSC and everything to do with VHF and a huge almost empty coastline.

The fact is VHF DSC is in use all over the world. what point are you trying to make, that DSC isn't used , of course it is.

remember I was countering your quite ridiculous claim

" the DSC system has been around for over 10 years but almost no one is ever using it."

Thats just nonsense

heres a sample from an Australian company

"Complete implementation of the GMDSS in Papua New Guinea (PNG) - currently underway. This includes upgrade of the Coast Radio Network to GMDSS A3 and A1 standard, upgrade of the rescue coordination centre and the PNG Maritime College, review/rewrite of marine radio legislation and training of Coast Station staff and marine radio surveyors.

Design and installation of a GMDSS Sea Area A1 and A3 Coast Radio Station in the Solomon Islands (currently underway).

Design and installation of a GMDSS Sea Area A1 and A2 Coast Radio network for the Government of Taiwan (currently underway).

Design and delivery of a GMDSS Sea Area A1 and A2 Coast Radio station for Iraq.

Design and installation of a GMDSS Sea Area A1, A2 and A3 Coast Radio Station in Thailand.

Design and delivery of a GMDSS Sea Area A1 Coast Radio station for South Korea.

Design and installation of a GMDSS Sea Area A1 and A2 Coast Radio Station for the Indonesian Coast Guard at Bangka Island.

Design and supply of a GMDSS Sea Area A1 Coast Radio Network for the Thailand Coast Guard.

Design and installation of a GMDSS Sea Area A2 and A3 Coast Station in Mauritius.
Upgrade of the Namibian Coast Radio Network to GMDSS Sea Area A1 and A3 standard. This involved new HF and VHF radio facilities and a new DSC system.

Design and project management of GMDSS implementation at the Shanghai (China) Coast Radio Station - on behalf of the Australian Government International Aid Agency, AusAID.

Design and costing of a complete GMDSS Coast Radio Station Development Plan for the Pacific Region - on behalf of the International Maritime Organization (IMO).

Design and installation of a GMDSS radio system at the Australian Rescue Coordination Centre.

Dunstan and Associates and our partner company TransOceana have also completed GMDSS Coast Radio Station projects in Chile and France."
Perhaps taking a deep breath here may be helpful. I am fairly sure I have never made such a claim as highlighted above. I certainly haven't made it in this thread but I note that others have made it. Perhaps you are confusing me with JesperWe.

The point I am disputing is your claim "Actually the whole world uses it everyday. (leaving aside the Rescue 21 fiasco)."

Now as this was in response to a post referring to AIS and as the whole thread is about VHF, I (perhaps mistakenly) assumed you were referring to VHF DSC. Certainly your post never qualified VHF or HF but when one is talking about one subject, one just assumes the post is taken in context of the current subject matter, i.e. VHF DSC / AIS.

This being so, I disputed your claim about the whole world - everyday, to me that is a misleading statement (not intentionally misleading but misleading never the less). To me it indicates that it is common or general usage everywhere. It is my belief that VHF DSC is not in common usage in Australia and the Australian Maritime Safety Authority seems to agree.

I agree that it is used occasionally in some VMRs here but it is uncommon.

You may disagree and if so, I guess we will have to agree to disagree etc.

The rest of your post seems to be about many other countries that do use VHF DSC and which Australian companies are involved in.

Now how about a beer, my shout.
Old 22-05-2012, 06:31   #11
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Now how about a beer, my shout.
all offers of Beer greatfully accepted, I find it wins over many arguments.!.
Old 25-05-2012, 19:28   #12

ok now that I think everything has settled down I just have a simple question if I run the nmea wires down to the nav PC and use the radio GPS will OpenCPN have any idea what to do with the DSC call data when it comes in or should I not even bother running the nmea connection to the PC?
Old 25-05-2012, 19:38   #13

could you be a lot more specific about what your exact, entire setup is? "the radio gps" ??? Do you have a standard horizion gx1700 VHF with gps? You've thrown out a lot of terms that are interchangable and interoperable, and yet also completely different and incompatible at the same time.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2012, 19:43   #14

sure sorry about that the radio is a Uniden UM380 VHF

my current setup is a touchscreen PC running OpenCPN for navigation and I am getting ready to put a cheap handheld GPS on the radio so that is has a dedicated GPS for itself and basicly I am trying to findout if I should even bother running the nmea lines down from the radio to the PC as I see no point if openCPN will not know what to do with the data

Hope this helps,
Yonu
Old 25-05-2012, 20:03   #15

Well, you will need a multiplexer, You can do GPS -> to the VHF but then when you go VHF -> PC the VHF will not forward/repeat the GPS sentences, it will only tell the PC the DSC sentences, and the PC will not be very useful because it will not know its position relative to the DSC positions.

Now, you can probably have GPS -> PC and VHF -> PC on different com ports and have the PC forward data between them, but it will not be easy to setup, I'm unsure if Opencpn can do this by itself or not.
xymotic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, vhf