Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2011, 16:34   #1

Boat: Shopping for a 30-ish cat
AIS 'Encoder' Info ?

Any software techs happen to know where I might find info on how to -encode- an AIS NMEA stream from standard text data? I need to generate a simulated stream of AIS for a course I'll be teaching. From what I've found so far (AIS decoding only, not how to encode), looks to be a fairly sophisticated bit of code. A simple example bit of code would be perfect. Thanks in advance.
prof_mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 20:21   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: AIS "encoder" info?

I write books on Electronic Navigation and I use Nema Studio in the trial version to generate AIS data. In the trial version the output is limited to only a set number of sentences. However you can monitor the output in the I/O panel. When the limit has been reached Copy and paste into notebook and copy and paste to extend the ais text data. The txt document can be used as a log file to input to another nav program or to Franson Gate that will then output to a com port. There is also a live AIS stream from San Francisco at hd-sf.com

hope this helps

regards

Richard Fairman JP BA Author SeaClear Unleashed
r.fairman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 21:36   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_mariner View Post
Any software techs happen to know where I might find info on how to -encode- an AIS NMEA stream from standard text data? I need to generate a simulated stream of AIS for a course I'll be teaching. From what I've found so far (AIS decoding only, not how to encode), looks to be a fairly sophisticated bit of code. A simple example bit of code would be perfect. Thanks in advance.
Can you explain what you mean by "standard text data"?

The AIS messages (there are several types you are likely to see) are comprised of multiple, various-length bit-fields. Each bit field can be from one to 30 bits long, as I recall. These fields can represent numbers or text (using a non-ascii text encoding).

These bitfields are then concatenated, encoded, and inserted into NMEA-0183 sentences using a 6-bit/char coding.

So what are you looking for? I would be happy to throw together a demonstration of how to encode (for example) the AIS "Type 5" static vessel data message, and point you to definitions for the other messages.

The inputs would be numbers (ship identification, dimensions, vessel-type code, etc) and text (name, callsign, destination), as defined in the message format. The output would be a formatted NMEA sentence.

Another complication is that the AIS data sometimes has to be split into two NMEA sentences, due to limitations on NMEA message length. Perhaps a better sample would be the "Type 3" dynamic message, which is short enough to fit into one NMEA sentence. This one doesn't contain any encoded text though.

PM me if you like, or we can continue right here.

It's not difficult to build the AIS NMEA messages, just a bit tedious.

(I do some of this in my NavMonPc program, but the AIS stuff remains hidden inside.)
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 02:56   #4

Quote:
Can you explain what you mean by "standard text data"?
I'm developing a simulator for training purposes. I've already implemented NMEA out so it can talk (via serial coms) to external instruments and chart plotters (like OpenCPN). In basic terms, what I want to do is convert: vessel name, position, course, speed into an AIS string. Ideally, I'd prefer not to have to encode anything, so if AIS "type 3" allows me to do that, then that would be perfect. Where might I find more info on this?
Old 28-02-2011, 09:21   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I'm developing a simulator for training purposes. I've already implemented NMEA out so it can talk (via serial coms) to external instruments and chart plotters (like OpenCPN). In basic terms, what I want to do is convert: vessel name, position, course, speed into an AIS string. Ideally, I'd prefer not to have to encode anything, so if AIS "type 3" allows me to do that, then that would be perfect. Where might I find more info on this?
There are two messages you will be interested in: First is the "Dynamic" report (Type 3), which contains position, course, and speed, but not name, callsign, etc. Then there is the "Static" report (Type 5), which has name, callsign, destination port, ETA, dimensions, etc, but not position, course, or speed. You will need to encode either of these.

The specs are not generally free, but there are some back-rev versions available on the web. Here's a link to a collection of these: DownloadLibrary. Document #1 (the ITU spec) is quite useful, but it doesn't reflect the current "Class-B" messages, and a few others. The Class-A stuff is good. A caveat: I design to the "official" specs, but I am not allowed to distribute these. The "escaped" documents may not be completely accurate.

Download the ITU document and look at Table 13. This lists the AIS message types. You probably want Types 3 and 5.

Table 14 shows the Message 3 format, and table 16 shows Message 5.

Figure 15 shows how the ship's dimensions are measured.

Table 17 shows how the ship type and cargo are encoded. There have been changes since this document was published

Document #3 (IEC Draft) has more info, including the encoding you will need to convert all the AIS message bits into the ascii subset is used in the NMEA sentence. Look at "Annex G", especially Table 7.

You still need to know how to encode text (ship name, etc) to bits. I know this is available in an escaped document somewhere , but here it is in a nutshell:

"Char" (ASCII decimal): 6-bit (decimal)
"@" (64) : 0
"A" (65) : 1
"B" (66) : 2
"Y" (89) : 25
"Z" (90) : 26
"[ "(91) : 27
"_" (95) : 31
--- note the gap here ---
"space" (32) : 32
"!" (33) : 33
"/" (47) 47
"0" (48) : 48
">" (62) : 62
"?" (63) : 63

Note that only upper-case characters are valid.

To practice your coding and decoding, here is a Type-5 message carried in a NMEA !AIVDM sentence (note that for some reason this hasn't been split into two halves):
!AIVDM,1,1,,,53ncF`0284nth54cB204l8E:2222222222222 217<PFA24`o0=Qi6CR@H88888888888880,2*7F

The AIS message portion is:
53ncF`0284nth54cB204l8E:2222222222222217<PFA24`o0= Qi6CR@H88888888888880

This decodes as follows:
ID: 5
Repeat: 0
MMSI: 258660000
Version: 0
IMO: 8917871
Call: LAQJ4
Name: AMBER
Type: Cargo, carrying DG or pollutant cat A
Dimensions: 209806402
PosFixer: 1
ETA: 167360
Draft: 54
Destination: GDYNIA
DTE: 0
Spare: 0

Note that bitfields such as dimensions and ETA need to be broken into sub-fields.

It's all kind of messy, designed to cram the most information into a small space without breaking the legacy definitions.
www.sailvalis.com
Old 28-02-2011, 09:30   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Wow Paul...good stuff!

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2011, 10:55   #7

Wow, thanks Paul. I can see that this is well above my head. I'll look through everything you posted and hopefully some of it will sink in. Thanks again!
Old 28-02-2011, 16:07   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Happy to help! If you end up digging into this and things just aren't working the way you think they should, it's probably a bit-order or word-alignment issue. You will find, for example, that the encoded text (ship name, etc) while encoded into 6-bit chunks, doesn't fall neatly into place when you have to encode the resulting bitfield. Instead, because the number of previous bits in the bitfield isn't a multiple of six, the top few bits of each character code end up in one word, and the bottom few bits in the next word.

As I interpreted the specs they seemed somewhat ambiguous on a few of these points, and I had to make a few guesses before I stumbled across the correct arrangement. Let me know if you need some hints.
www.sailvalis.com
Old 28-02-2011, 16:30   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

its really a crap protocol, shoehorned into NMEA, a complete dog of an implementation. The NMEA2K standardshould be better and more orthogonal in design.

Dave
Old 28-02-2011, 17:37   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
its really a crap protocol, shoehorned into NMEA, a complete dog of an implementation. The NMEA2K standardshould be better and more orthogonal in design.
Dave
No argument there, but given the dominance of NMEA0183 at the time AIS was being introduced, what did you expect then to do? For that matter, I would be amazed if even now N2K AIS was more than 10% of the current installed AIS base.

I used to design telecom gear and systems for a living -- a perfect place to be if you want to see the death-grip of legacy protocols, up-close and personal. While we were pushing the "convergence" and "next-gen" aspects of our gear, what probably was our biggest competitive advantage was our ability to hook up to legacy networks (wire and optical). I used to tell my team: "The great thing about legacy systems is that they keep installing more of them." I suppose you had to be there...
www.sailvalis.com
Old 01-03-2011, 01:58   #11

Re: AIS 'Encoder' Info ?

I think I might have to put off writing my own AIS encoder for now. Does anyone know of any free or open source AIS simulators? I found several that have demo versions available but didn't find anything for free.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:13   #12

Quote:
I think I might have to put off writing my own AIS encoder for now. Does anyone know of any free or open source AIS simulators? I found several that have demo versions available but didn't find anything for free.
Or a cheap windows app that will send AIS NMEA? I'm just looking for something that will send AIS data to OpenCPN that I can monitor.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:41   #13
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

Quote:
I used to tell my team: "The great thing about legacy systems is that they keep installing more of them." I suppose you had to be there...
oh i know, spent some time in telecoms design myself. ( billing systems and hardware!!).

DAve
Old 02-03-2011, 09:13   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Or a cheap windows app that will send AIS NMEA? I'm just looking for something that will send AIS data to OpenCPN that I can monitor.
When do you need this? I'm in the middle of a project right now, but when I have a day free I could whip up a (closed-source, freeware, windows) AIS ship simulator / generator.

I do recall already seeing something like this though.
www.sailvalis.com
Old 02-03-2011, 09:33   #15

Boat: Dufour 35

I use "phiggins" ais simulator quite often to test OpenCPN.
It used to be available at "dacust's" site but has been moved to Pauls own site GDAYII.com - Super Slogan.
This site seems to be down for the moment though.
I think "manimaul" whipped together something similar, but I can't find it at this moment. For pictures of Phiggins simulator in action just check AIS | Official OpenCPN Homepage.

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais