Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-12-2013, 21:33   #16

Re: Advice On My Hardware Choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
I also run OCPN on my net book and love it. struggling with the same decision, so let me know if you make the jump. From reviews and stats the T100 looks like a great value with nice features... more a detachable keyboard netbook for power and performance than a tablet...
I am starting to think that I will hold off on the tablet for now. I am SO impressed with the Asus T100, and the price is unbeatable. For for my purposes, it has one fatal flaw, which is lack of screen brightness. It's fine for indoor use, but I have a RAM mount in my cockpit, so I need daylight viewability. The Dell Latitude 10 is about twice as bright as the T100, but it only runs Windows RT. So I'm hoping that their new Venue 11 Pro will be as bright as the Latitude 10. If it is, I may consider that - though the price will be at least double the T100.

In testing the Asus T100 at the store tonight, I realized that turning the tablet into portrait mode make it so much more effective for course-up mode. The current laptop trend of wide screen monitors wastes a lot of screen space for chartplotter applications, IMO.
RhythmDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 22:32   #17

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
Re: Advice On My Hardware Choices

My Acer One Netbook that I've been using for years to run OpenCPN finally got sick enough I decided to semi-retire it. I replaced it with the ASUS T100 with Win 8.1. The power draw is next to nothing and it runs for a full day on a charge. I'm still running OpenCPM only now I can use the T100 as a Tablet or with the keyboard. The only thing I miss is a rear facing camera

Tags
hardware