Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 26-03-2011, 02:06   #1
Marine Service Provider

Adding Information to Waypoints

Having just found this existing feature in OpenCPN I have started this thread to explore this feature.

In a nutshell a waypoint can include a href link to a local file such as Doc Jpg html etc or a link to a www site.

If a waypoint has additional information attached right click on it and select additional information.

As present the waypoint can only be created by importing a gpx file with the required href

sample

<wpt lat="54.597775" lon="12.659395">
<time>2010-05-11T08:52:54Z</time>
<link href="file:///Cocuments and Settings/Richard/My Documents/My Pictures/Passport/bodrummarina.JPG">">
<text>Photo</text>
</link>
<name>Bodrum Marina</name>
<sym>triangle</sym>
<type>WPT</type>
</wpt>

The above sample creates a waypoint with a triangle icon the text Bodrum Marina and a link to a photo of bodruum marina

I hope the next version of OpenCPN will have the facility to enter the ahref directly from the properties dialog box

I have tried creating a placemark with photo in GE and exporting as a kml file. I was hoping a conversion tool would convert to GPX but unfortunately the ahref is stripped out.

Perhaps a new version of OpenCPN will be able to directly import kml.

Richard Fairman JP BA Author Seaclear Unleashed

Old 26-03-2011, 02:20   #2

Re: Adding Information to Waypoints

I am using this standard GPX feature for including links to Adobe Reader text of Notices to Mariners.

example:

Code:
<wpt lat="54.597775" lon="12.659395">
<link href="file:///e:/ADMIRALTY_NOTICES/BA_NTM_2010/13wknm10_Week13_2010.pdf">
<text>NtM 1613/10</text>
</link>
<name>WIND FARM (under construction)</name>
<sym>triangle</sym>
<type>WPT</type></wpt>
the <text> names the individual Notice number.

I use it only offline (having all the Notices on my e drive as in the example).

There are still some attributes in GPX <link>, that I did not explore...

Old 26-03-2011, 03:00   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PjotrC View Post
including links to Adobe Reader text
continued...

Perhaps some people would prefer a complete .gpx file as an example, so they can experiment without editing anything. For the Notices example it is included Forums - Post 648930">here.

Of course if you do not have the same directories and files on local Windows drive E, it will complain...

Good luck,

Piotr
Old 26-03-2011, 04:54   #4
Marine Service Provider

Here is the full text for a gpx file that creates a single waypoint with a photo link. You will need an icon named camera in your UserIcons folder and change the href path to match your owned stored photo. This GPX file can be used as a template to create your own linked waypoints

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8" ?>
<gpx version="1.1" creator="OpenCPN" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/gpx.xsd" xmlnspencpn="http://www.opencpn.org">
<wpt lat="37.035038918" lon="27.426099883">
<name>Bodrum Marina</name>
<link href="file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/Richard/My%20Documents/My%20Pictures/sailing_turkey_bodrum_marina.jpg">
<text>Photo</text>
</link>
<sym>CAMERA</sym>
<type>WPT</type>
<extensions>
<opencpn:guid>60cbffff-27f2-498a-a436-ea151b240000</opencpn:guid>
<opencpn:viz>1</opencpn:viz>
<opencpn:viz_name>1</opencpn:viz_name>
</extensions>
</wpt>
</gpx>

I have also attched file Change the extension to .gpx

regards

Richard
Attached Files
File Type: doc bodrum..gpx.doc (911 Bytes, 43 views)
Old 26-03-2011, 12:42   #5

continue...

Let's make the next step, demonstrating two points:

1. a Waypoint can carry more than 1 link
2. a link can point to an Internet resource, as CruiserWiki (as promised)

So, attached is a slightly modified version of Richard's gpx, giving not only the picture (.jpg), but also information on Bodrum area Marinas (for online users).

Enjoy,

P.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bodrum_richard_plus_S.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	25510  
Attached Files
File Type: gpx bodrum_richard_plus.gpx (1.2 KB, 53 views)
Old 26-03-2011, 13:07   #6

I do not quite favour online links, since it is usually easier (if you know your way around) to find information in the Internet, than to follow fixed links, but for the sake of completeness, attached is the Network version of Admiralty Notices to Mariners online (I was sure it would be simple...)...

The syntax is simple, you need to know the year and the week of edition.
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Plantagenet_online.gpx (1.2 KB, 49 views)
Old 26-03-2011, 13:27   #7

So now, next step: the Cruiser's Diary...

Attached is a GPX file that for a Waypoint makes 3 links:

- a .jpg picture
- a local .doc document (Word, or - in my case - an OpenOffice) document
- another .jpg picture

The document might be anything... it may be read-only information, but may be your diary as well, that you maintain day by day.

If it is your diary, then in this document you can make full use of further text / pictures / hyperlinks etc.; possibilities are unlimited (well, rich enough).

I suggest not to integrate too closely to a "planning/underway navigation tool" (unless there is just one workstation around, ever), but to use word processing power and targeted applications...

The Voyage Recorder is upcoming, perhaps it will bring something for these needs...

Cheers,

Piotr
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	diary_linksS.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	25512  
Attached Files
File Type: gpx diary.gpx (767 Bytes, 49 views)
Old 26-03-2011, 14:36   #8

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Awesome Pjotr,

this goes exactly in the right direction!
When I suggested hyperlinks, I did this as a hyperlink allows the user to choose a local or www location as the reference it points to.

Your idea to allow the display of certain item directly within OpenCPN is fabulous too.

Maybe the addition of additional information to a waypoint could be a right click option on the waypoint when you create it?
And a rightcklick option when editing an existing one?

Would be cool if real "users" (like myself ;-) ) could use this feature without having to hack around in files like gpx or the like.

You do a great job!

Many thanks,

Franzi
Old 26-03-2011, 15:05   #9

Franzi,

Thanks for reading this simple tutorial... I hope it helps.

Those are not my ideas, this is standard GPX 1.1, as implemented long time ago by Dave and by Thomas Haller (I may be missing someone here), not perfect, but perhaps better than many other environments...

P.
Old 26-03-2011, 23:13   #10
Marine Service Provider

Thanks to all your exciting gpx's Just a note Firefox has a cache so can be used offline. Previously visited pages are stored in the cache. So waypoint links can be viewed offline. if you type about:cache in the Firefox address bar all is revealed including a list of stored pages

regards

richard
Old 27-03-2011, 08:36   #11

Boat: 29'

This is a good idea!GPX=XML and is tricky...so a good editor is needed.So far I've tried "XMLEditor" by Pavel Ugoltsev - it's good and helps with the spacing and notices errors too. It's bestwhen "associated" with GPX files...
I also tried "GPX_Editor010346" which screwed up the spacing and can't handle multiple links....
Any other suggestions?of simple editors or other faster ways to do this?
To use a template seems the best....and though still not perfectly simple,it helps me to have whatever log files,copies of pictures and all and so forth in the same folder to save that bit of typing anyways...reducing the typing would be the thing to do.Maybe to drag a picture,text,or whatever into the editor to save writing the path...stuff like that...
Old 27-03-2011, 11:31   #12

...not to distract from the GPX thread too much but this idea has been explored a bit in other ways useable now.
Cagney came up with this:
Revisiting Tiff2Kap
where the waypoint icon IS a photo.It has to be xpm format like other icons but that's not hard.Gimp and xnview will "do" xpm files.It could just be text,for a log,using the text function of an image editor.But the so-called icon would have to be turned off and on in the waypoint dialogue....and to quickly edit it would need a shortcut to OpenCPN's Usericon folder.Not hard.Template Versions (as to size and xpm format) could be quickly accessible for a new waypoint.There is however Only one image per "waypoint",unlike the GPX idea.
and in the same thread,
Revisiting Tiff2Kap
where I made a template of a screengrab,wrote all over it and rebuilt as a kap,so it sits in the chart bar as a chart(you can sail into it)when you're in the area...subsequent editing is not too difficult but to appear on your chartbar in a different area,the template needs position calibrating ...in CMD utility or a batch script.
Tiff2kap has since been rebuilt as IMGKAP so extracting the image,editing,changing,writing on it are easier now.

Still,Cagney's is obviously simpler and easier.
Old 27-03-2011, 13:39   #13

Boat: Dufour 35

I'm not sure all this is the right way forward.
We are digging into OpenCPN's "pre plugin" features. Wouldn't all this be handled better by a dedicated plugin, similar to Nohals GE plugin, that displayed a simple browser window (just a frame) instead of the GE window?
It's a bit awkward to change to your browser for information.

Thomas
Old 27-03-2011, 17:48   #14

But, Cagney-I could just minimise or shrink OpenCPN to comb my hard drive...if that's what you mean?
...a note ,a picture of an approach at lowtide,a page of the pilot...good ideas...I used something similar in Ozi to note what side of the rock was deep, or notes on a hotspot to fish or more.Waypoints can use detail.As can tracks made up of wpts....
I confess I'm a logbook guy but finding "the page" is much helped by waypoints made voluble .OpenCPN already has a choice of any icon you need to highlight the "sense"of it as to danger!,fish,topless beach whatever.

If Gods of the Temple O were to smile upon their miserable pawns and forge a plugin, I'd have it fill in the needed blanks of the gpx/xml without me being careful not to miss a "/>"
It would:
a)plop down a mark
b) browse to a file to link
and (maybe) c)include space to write and display notes...or just create and link to a textfile.

Anyways,the cleverness exhibited here needs only some practise to work for me as is!
Old 28-03-2011, 04:05   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
It needs only some practise to work for me as is!
Right, I would not rush to make a GUI here.

If a link is not worth hand-editing into GPX, probably it is not worth having in a navigation chart, unless loaded as part of an externally prepared file.

In today's OCPN it is hard to manage large number of waypoints, so - as Thomas pointed out elsewhere - something like layers is a precondition.

N.B. Hyperlinks are not supported for trackpoints in OCPN - just waypoints and routepoints. Sounds reasonable enough.

For editing GPX I use "Wordpad", sometimes "ed", because it lets me, e.g. change the colours for whole segments easily:

Code:
?trkseg?,/trkseg/s/empty/xmgreen/
I never make typing mistkaes.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: