Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2011, 03:37   #16

Boat: On the Hard
Re: Adding Information to Waypoints

Just an idea, I opened one of the sample files with openoffice writer (platform independent) and then saved is as a "myfile.gpx.txt" file. Changing the properties on the file to "myfile.gpx" gave me back the same gpx file. Would it not be possible then to template a gpx file where you simply fill in the blanks as needed and #out or remove the # the options not needed. Kinda a gludge but could possible work, in the interm.
sailias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 05:30   #17

Boat: On the Hard

easygps works fine in windows

tested:
mapsource waypoint creation, opens with opencpn then edit with easygps, opens fine in mapsource and opencpn

reverse:
seems to work as well.

....a text editor for linux and mac seem to work the easiest form a simple template.
sailias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 09:41   #18

Boat: 29'

Pjotr,Salias-good ideas to####HIGHLIGHT### edit areas...
Salias,Thanks! I'm trying out easygps! first I've tried that actually writes links into gpx.Of course,there's a snag.OpenCPN sees the link(there's an extra info in right click) but can't use em because they look like this
<desc>this is an interesting waypoint</desc>
<link href="./NewLog.txt" />
<link href="./Seagulltreat.jpg">
<type>image/jpeg</type>
</link>
not quite sure but no path seems a problem.I'm working on this.
also,easygps only seems to like the default triangle icon...
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 11:42   #19

Does anyone know the way to get two or more lines into the same field?
as in:
desc>This shows up as a single long line in OpenCPN waypoint description but I wonder if the window would expand if I could get this onto two lines in the gpx</desc>
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	25561
...so it would appear word wrapped as it does here
Or,same idea,that shows in the right click extra
<link href="file:///C:/OpenCPNLINKS/waypointnote.txt">
<text>There's room to write in here,eh.But again,it's one long line.Why can't I make a new line?</text>

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	25562
Old 28-03-2011, 13:26   #20

Boat: Dufour 35

Happy
Good question.
Write the line like this
Code:
	  <text>Bodrum Marina .There's room to write in here,eh.But again,&#xA;  it's one long line.Why can't I make a new line?</text>
The trick is
Quote:
&#xA;
the xml newline "code".
Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 16:55   #21

Location: Ft. Pierce, FL - Bislig, Philippines - Gladstone QLD
Boat: 1968 Alberg 30 #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappySeagull View Post
This is a good idea!GPX=XML and is tricky...so a good editor is needed.So far I've tried "XMLEditor" by Pavel Ugoltsev - it's good and helps with the spacing and notices errors too. It's bestwhen "associated" with GPX files...
I also tried "GPX_Editor010346" which screwed up the spacing and can't handle multiple links....
Any other suggestions?of simple editors or other faster ways to do this?
To use a template seems the best....and though still not perfectly simple,it helps me to have whatever log files,copies of pictures and all and so forth in the same folder to save that bit of typing anyways...reducing the typing would be the thing to do.Maybe to drag a picture,text,or whatever into the editor to save writing the path...stuff like that...
For simple editing like we are doing here, I find Notepad++ to be a very nice tool especially when the language is set to XML within the program.

Some real smart guy should write a script that would prompt for data and automate the procedure......HAPPYSEAGULL!!
Surveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 18:48   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Happy
Good question.
Write the line like this
Code:
      <text>Bodrum Marina .There's room to write in here,eh.But again,&#xA;  it's one long line.Why can't I make a new line?</text>
The trick is the xml newline "code".
Thomas
ha ha!

Name:	Cagney1.jpg
Views:	585
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	25580

Name:	Cagney2.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	25581

Name:	Cagney3.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	25582

that was pretty funny....! Fixes "note on waypoint" problem very well...Yes,I was wondering why the scroll capability was there and how simple is that?
Rtn= a new line.Oh,I thought I'd tried it already is my only excuse...
Old 28-03-2011, 19:08   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surveyor View Post
For simple editing like we are doing here, I find Notepad++ to be a very nice tool especially when the language is set to XML within the program.

picture...

Some real smart guy should write a script that would prompt for data and automate the procedure......HAPPYSEAGULL!!
hi,Surveyor!Oh,hey,THAT's a nice one...yes it sure helps to get the spacing professional...and colours too.

Surveyor,...believe it or not "BatchBoy" was at it right away trying to set up a text-replacement script but what's the difference typing paths into my chatty cmd window and using your colourful editor?...Common sense Simplicity,that's what.

Oh,by the way,if anybody didn't know?,(it's a whizbang crowd in here!)you can drag an xml/gpx file into a browser and it'll tell you where the errors are.At least Mozilla ones do.
Old 27-05-2011, 23:40   #24

I've been looking at this "Additional Information" feature. Now to me this is what you should get anyway when you right click on a waypoint. The "properties" stuff is what you want when you want to "edit" the waypoint.

It is a pity that the waypoint description doesn't show up in the "additional Information" popup too then you would have everything you need in one popup. The way things are you would have to pop up the properties window to see a description and then pop up the additional information window to see other stuff.

Is there a way include the comment in here? It's a much nicer and cleaner way to present information than the properties window.

Are links the only things that can be displayed in the addional info window?

I know you can link to a text document etc.. but I'm talking about comments such as in the situation where you notice that a reef breaks in a SW's swell ... you just want a comment on it that says "Breaks in SW'ly swell". This can be shown in the waypoint description field of the properties window but there it can get lost in the clutter of icons and such. In the Additional information window it would be obvious.

I think that it should be suggested that right clicking on waypoint presents two menu options "Edit" and "Properties" - Edit would be the current properties window and Properties would be something similar to the current additional information window.
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2011, 07:15   #25

I agree...maybe some kind of "hover" feature like the charts in the chart bar have...would bring up the description or even more?

The fastest way to make a note or comment on the chart is to drop a mark and write a looooong note as the name...(this worksbest if the font+colour has been set beforehand so as to be seen against the chart's colours)...It's going to obscure everything East in a line but otherwise,does work.