Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > OpenCPN
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 13:03   #1

Boat: Merchant Vessel Worldwide
About The Latitude Display In OpenCPN

the latitude is described in 2 digits in most of the time in navigation, you can see the GPS navigator,the latitude is displayed in only 2 digits,eg,01.12.35N or 33.45.50S,but in opencpn,the latitude is displayed in 3 digits, I don't konw why you do this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4444444025732.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	102.1 KB
ID:	44492  
xiurong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 13:19   #2

Boat: Phantom 19
Re: about the latitude display in opencpn

xiurong...
The only reason is that the same formatting routine is used for latitude and longitude display, no magic behind it. In case of latitude the first digit for degrees is always 0 - Don't worry, our Earth also has just 180 parallels

Pavel
nohal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 14:18   #3

Boat: Dufour 35

xiurong...

Just set OpenCPN to show decimal degrees in the Etc tab, and you will get what you ask for.

Name:	nono.png
Views:	324
Size:	162.3 KB
ID:	44501

Thomas
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 23:50   #4

But nobody works in decimal degrees. The OP is correct; latitude degrees must always be shown as 2 digits and longitude must always be shown as three digits. That's the correct way and avoids confusion.

I know OCPN is great but it is not yet able to change the standard conventions in use the world over

Chris
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:16   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
xiurong...
The only reason is that the same formatting routine is used for latitude and longitude display, no magic behind it. In case of latitude the first digit for degrees is always 0 - Don't worry, our Earth also has just 180 parallels

Pavel
most of the ECDIS,RADAR and navigational equipment displays latitude in 2 digits in default , so suggest you enhance this item,indeed, we need opencpn like a more professional navigation software.I can not programming, so I don't know the difficulty to remove the first 0.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:19   #6

I've done it in the master tree a couple of days ago - it will be in the next 3.1 beta...

Pavel
Old 11-08-2012, 04:22   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
xiurong...

Just set OpenCPN to show decimal degrees in the Etc tab, and you will get what you ask for.

Attachment 44501

Thomas
yeah,that's working,but the latitude display in chart and GPS is 2 digits, we need some extra minutes and seconds conversion calculation if use the decimal degrees display mode.that's not so convenient for using.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:27   #8

xiurong...
I implemented what you asked for - what Thomas posted we've had before.

Pavel
Old 11-08-2012, 05:36   #9

Thumbs up Re: about the latitude display in opencpn

Quote:
I've done it in the master tree a couple of days ago - it will be in the next 3.1 beta...

Pavel
Very appreciate for your focus on this.

Two more thing,first is about the MK/WP properties,in the mark properties window,it is not so convenient to input or update the latitude and longitude data,for example,you must select the latitude(make it blue) by mouse or delete the exist data,and then input or update the new data,after finishing ,you'll repeat doing this when input or update the minutes and seconds data.

Here is my suggestion for quickly and convenient input or update the data:when click the latitude input area,the 2(currently 3)digits latitude is automatically selected, then you quickly input the data,when finish the filling,press the right arrow key,the 2 digits minutes data selected,when finish or press right arrow key the 4 digits seconds data is automatically selected,when finish filling press right arrow key,the Northe or South is selected,and can change by pressing up and down key to change between N and S. the longitude should be the same.

The second is about the seconds display in the route properties,there is only 1 digits displayed in it,this is not enough to display the seconds in accurate and detail.I think 3 digits is needed at minimum bcs most of the GPS displays seconds in 3 digits.

At present that is all, It would be glad if you can read this and make change in the future version.OPENCPN is the best I have ever seen!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MarkProperties.png
Views:	162
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	44725   Click image for larger version

Name:	seconds display.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	251.6 KB
ID:	44726  

Old 11-08-2012, 05:44   #10

sorry,I have not read more in the forum,you can delete this topic if it is mentioned b4.
Old 11-08-2012, 05:51   #11

xiurong...
Quote:
Here is my suggestion for quickly and convenient input or update the data:when click the latitude input area,the 2(currently 3)digits latitude is automatically selected, then you quickly input the data,when finish the filling,press the right arrow key,the 2 digits minutes data selected,when finish or press right arrow key the 4 digits seconds data is automatically selected,when finish filling press right arrow key,the Northe or South is selected,and can change by pressing up and down key to change between N and S. the longitude should be the same.
I'm afraid we will never implement this as it would work for you, but would totally disappoint anybody using other formats, not talking about copy/pasting from all the different NTMs and other position data sources, which use about a zillion different formats we have to be able to enter and parse...
Quote:
The second is about the seconds display in the route properties,there is only 1 digits displayed in it,this is not enough to display the seconds in accurate and detail.I think 3 digits is needed at minimum bcs most of the GPS displays seconds in 3 digits.
1/10 arc second equals to about 3 meters at the equator. I consider it to be more than adequate for a list of waypoints in a route. If you want the position to 3 decimal places (and to be able to work with it, like copy it into clipboard etc.), it's just two clicks away in the properties of the waypoint itself.

Pavel
Old 12-08-2012, 07:50   #12

Quote:
xiurong...

I'm afraid we will never implement this as it would work for you, but would totally disappoint anybody using other formats, not talking about copy/pasting from all the different NTMs and other position data sources, which use about a zillion different formats we have to be able to enter and parse...

1/10 arc second equals to about 3 meters at the equator. I consider it to be more than adequate for a list of waypoints in a route. If you want the position to 3 decimal places (and to be able to work with it, like copy it into clipboard etc.), it's just two clicks away in the properties of the waypoint itself.

Pavel
ok then,I wait til you implement this.never give up the waiting and hope.
Old 29-08-2018, 18:01   #13

Boat: Wellcraft, St. Tropez 3200, 32 ft
Re: About The Latitude Display In OpenCPN

n.b. -- I realize this is an old thread, but I have a request related to it. It took me a long time to find it, and I couldn't find anything newer. Feel free to point me to the right resource if I should be posing this in a different place.

First off, let me say that I love OpenCPN - so a huge THANK YOU to everyone who has contributed to it in any way.

I want to be able to use OpenCPN to do route planning at home on my desktop PC, then bring a printout (or electronic file, or screenshot, etc.) of my route and waypoints to my boat and manually enter them into my GPS, which is an old-school Garmin GPSMap 210. (yes yes, very old, I know, but it is my backup GPS!)

The problem I'm having is that OpenCPN (as of now, v4.8.6) only seems to show me or print 1-digit decimal place on for the minutes of the lat & long when displayed as "Degrees, Decimal Minutes" which is why my GPS takes. My GPS requires 3 digits on the Decimal Minutes, as does my sanity and well-being. Because, in Boston area waters and where I boat, a 3 meter difference either way is a big deal and can mean fouled running gear, so I don't buy the argument that seems to have been made here that it is "good enough."

Sure, I could go into each properties box where there are more digits for each waypoint's minutes, and copy and paste them into a spreadsheet, but that's a pain, and defeats the time-saving purpose of using OpenCPN in the first place. :-/

Is there any way you'd consider giving users a setting under "Units" that allowed us to configure how many digits we want to show in the Lat/Long choice of "Degrees, Decimal Minutes" in the Route Properties chart and when printing? THAT would be much appreciated and a huge time savings!

Again, if this is the wrong place to post this, my apologies - please help by pointing me in the right direction.

Thank you!
Aquasition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 03:16   #14

Boat: Shuttleworth Advantage

Why not connect to a cheap netbook and just upload the waypoints direct. The 210 has NMEA183 capability.
Tupaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:58   #15

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
My GPS requires 3 digits on the Decimal Minutes, as does my sanity and well-being....so I don't buy the argument that seems to have been made here that it is "good enough. ...giving users a setting under "Units" that allowed us to configure how many digits we want to show in the Lat/Long choice of "Degrees, Decimal Minutes" in the Route Properties chart and when printing? THAT would be much appreciated and a huge time savings!

Post this in Tracker, Vote for it and get others to Vote!

https://opencpn.org/flyspray/index.p...index&switch=1
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
opencpn