Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2012, 11:20   #1

A BETTER OPEN CPN

GOOD DAY,
I'M A SECOND OFFICER ON A CAR CARRIER AND I USE OPEN CPN 2.5.0 WITH CM93 CHARTS FOR MORE THAN 5 MONTHS NOW,FROM UNITED STATES TO SUEZ,PERSIAN GULF TO SINGAPORE-THAILAND AND AUSTRALIA,MORE THAN 70000 NM AND I LIKE TO SHARE MY OPINION TO HELP IMPROVE THE PROGRAM.
FIRST OF ALL I NOTICE A PROBLEM,FROM TIME TO TIME HE IS LOOSING DISTANCE,REMAINING DISTANCE IS SHORTER WITH ABOUT 30-40 MILES.TO BRING BACK THE CORRECT REMAINING DISTANCE JUST NEED TO GO IN ROUTE MANAGER MENU,PROPERTIES AND OPEN....
NOW SOME THINGS THAT I BELIVE WILL HELP AND IMPROVE THE PROGRAM:
-IN ROUTE MANAGER MENU/PROPERTIES,IS SHOWING LIST WITH WAYPOINTS BUT YOU CAN NOT EDIT.IS VERY INCONVENIENT TO GO WP BY WP AND EDIT,SHOULD BE MORE BETTER IF IN THIS SECTION WE CAN EDIT WP.
-ETA (IN ROUTE/LEG) IS SHOWING ONLY TIME WITHOUT DATE.WHEN ROUTE IS ABOUT 4000NM IS GOOD TO SHOW ALSO WHICH DATE YOU WILL ARRIVE.
-ALL THE TIME TO SHOW THE CORRECT ETA I NEED TO CHANCE COMPUTER TIME WITH ARRIVAL LOCAL TIME.
-XTE THAT IS SHOWING IS VERY NICE BUT SHOULD HAVE ONE OPTION TO EDIT/CHANGE. FOR EXAMPLE IN SOME CASES IN SOME NARROW CHANNELS XTE IS NOT THE SAME LIKE IN OPEN OCEAN,AND IS SHOWING HOW MUCH YOU NEED TO COME BACK TO COURSE,NOT HOW MUCH YOU ARE OUT OF COURSE...
- ONE THING THAT IS MISSING,FOR EXAMPLE I LIKE TO INSERT THE REPORTING POINTS FROM MALLACA STRAIT AND SINGAPORE,BUT NO ANY KIND OF OPTION TO DRAW ONE LINE AND TO INSERT TEXT (LIKE...REPORT TO...BLA BLA...)AT THE MOMENT I JUST CREATE ONE ROUTE WITH 2 WPS AND AT THE NAME I PUT VTS NAME.
-WHEN YOU ARRIVE TO AN WAYPOINT TO BE ONE ARRIVAL SOUND BELL.OR LETS SAY 2 CABLE RADIUS FROM WP ALARM TO COME.
-THIS VMG FROM ROUTE MAY BE TO PE CHANGE WITH SOG (SPEED OVER GROUND)

- IS ANY WAY WHEN EXPORT A ROUTE WP TO COME IN EXEL OR TEXT FILE FORMAT,BY DEG.MIN.SEC
THANK YOU AND I HOPE I COULD HELP,PLEASE TELL ME IF I COULD HELP IN ANY OTHER WAY,I WOULD LIKE TO BE INVOLVED TO IMPROVED THE PROGRAM....

THANKS AND REGARDS
dj_app85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 06:51   #2

Boat: Irwin 37 CC
Re: A BETTER OPEN CPN

G7toWIN (it's freeware) will convert gpx to csv (comma separated values) that can be read by excel. There are other utilities as well.
Old 18-06-2012, 07:40   #3

Boat: 29'

dj_app385,

looks like you found some bugs in version 2.5 ! good comments!... per Route Manager ("no day" and "losing distance")

But have you tried the new version 3.0? the old 2.5 won't be fixed...
HappySeagull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 10:44   #4

Boat: Amel Sharki

I'm afraid your hints will not help him as long as he don't repair his keyboard. He could only write in capital letters...
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2012, 11:53   #5

Boat: Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj_app85 View Post
- IS ANY WAY WHEN EXPORT A ROUTE WP TO COME IN EXEL OR TEXT FILE FORMAT,BY DEG.MIN.SEC
The next beta will be able to copy-and-paste tracks and routes from the properties window into LibreOffice Calc or Excel. Or to a text file of course.
JesperWe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2012, 13:49   #6

Sorry about capital letters,i prepare this txt in advance,i'm still onboard the ship and i didn't have to much time and internet connection available,i will take/ download last version now.
All my comments and remarks are for the version that i use and as a guidance for next and next version.
I will come back with comments after testing/using version 3.0
dj_app85 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
open cpn