Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 13:56   #1

3.3.2028 Excludes?

After 'git pull' and root@localhost: cmake -DPREFIX=/usr -D CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE:BOOL=TRUE /home/android/Downloads/OpenCPN
3.3.2028 ***
-- *** Package will NOT include documentation ***
-- *** Package will NOT include GSHHS data ***
-- *** Package will NOT include tide and current data ***

Sorry if this has been addressed already, but my search turned up nada.

Command to include GSHHS, current and tide data?

Thanks.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 14:04   #2

Boat: Dufour 35
Re: 3.3.2028 Excludes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
After 'git pull' and root@localhost: cmake -DPREFIX=/usr -D CMAKE_VERBOSE_MAKEFILE:BOOL=TRUE /home/android/Downloads/OpenCPN
3.3.2028 ***

Sorry if this has been addressed already, but my search turned up nada.

Command to include GSHHS, current and tide data?

Thanks.
Have a look here:
https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/pull/151

Try to use: cmake -DBUNDLE_DOCS=1 -DBUNDLE_TCDATA=1 -DBUNDLE_GSHHS=1
cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 14:51   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagney View Post
Have a look here:
https://github.com/OpenCPN/OpenCPN/pull/151

Try to use: cmake -DBUNDLE_DOCS=1 -DBUNDLE_TCDATA=1 -DBUNDLE_GSHHS=1
Thanks. I initially visited github and found nothing suggesting this change.

Another issue is after changing to /OpenCPN/build and executing cmake, the build files are written to OpenCPN, not 'build'...

I'll give your cmake variables a try.
Old 04-09-2014, 14:58   #4

Quote:
Thanks. I initially visited github and found nothing suggesting this change.

Another issue is after changing to /OpenCPN/build and executing cmake, the build files are written to OpenCPN, not 'build'...

I'll give your cmake variables a try.
Tried and there's no change.

Still 3.3.2028 ***
Old 04-09-2014, 15:22   #5

Boat: Phantom 19

Wrong...
Clean your build dir and try again. Any reason why you actually need the monolithic package instead of installing the modular ones?

Edit: Until the next beta is officially out and they make it into the normal beta repository, they are prebuilt at https://launchpad.net/~nohal/+archiv...u/opencpn-data

Pavel
nohal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 16:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nohal View Post
Wrong...
Clean your build dir and try again. Any reason why you actually need the monolithic package instead of installing the modular ones?

Edit: Until the next beta is officially out and they make it into the normal beta repository, they are prebuilt at https://launchpad.net/~nohal/+archiv...u/opencpn-data

Pavel
I'm approaching the build and installation of OpenCPN as I always have.

The
"3.3.2028 ***
-- *** Package will NOT include tide and current data ***"

message has never appeared before.

Why wouldn't users want GSHHS and tide/current data? Bypassing the docs build makes sense as a space saving option.

First time I've ever had to choose between 'monolithic' or 'modular' packages.

How are users building from source supposed to choose one or the other?
Old 04-09-2014, 16:38   #7

Also.

Launching OpenCPN yeilds this message "Failed to initialize the user interface. OpenCPN cannot start. The necessary configuration files were not found. See the log file at....for details."

This in spite of the configuration files being located where they have always been. /usr/share/opencpn and /home/android.opencpn/opencpn.conf
Old 04-09-2014, 16:43   #8

Quote:
I'm approaching the build and installation of OpenCPN as I always have.

The
"3.3.2028 ***
-- *** Package will NOT include tide and current data ***"

message has never appeared before.
Yes, it is a new feature, follow link in cagney's post above for description of the configuration parameters involved in configuring what gets included in your package.
Quote:
Why wouldn't users want GSHHS and tide/current data? Bypassing the docs build makes sense as a space saving option.
Of course users would. That's why they are being packaged and the opencpn package has the dependencies on them set. Why would users want to download 32 megabytes of exactly the same data with every minor update? They wouldn't.
GSHHS data change first time since we started to use them, there's no need to include them with every OpenCPN package we publish, same with the tidal data and documentation. That's why they are now separate packages on Linux, where there are packaging systems supporting making this totally transparent for the user in every distribution.
Quote:
First time I've ever had to choose between 'monolithic' or 'modular' packages.

How are users building from source supposed to choose one or the other?
Don't understand, sorry. If you use Linux, you use this concept every day - most of the software you have installed consists of several packages (xxx, xxx-doc, xxx-dev, xxx-data, etc.) We are just finally implementing what is absolutely common.
If you want to make your own packages, you have to make this choice, of course. My advice is not to build the huge monolithic package, it makes little sense when you now have an (default) option not to.

Pavel
Old 04-09-2014, 16:47   #9

Quote:
Also.

Launching OpenCPN yeilds this message "Failed to initialize the user interface. OpenCPN cannot start. The necessary configuration files were not found. See the log file at....for details."

This in spite of the configuration files being located where they have always been. /usr/share/opencpn and /home/android.opencpn/opencpn.conf
Launching OpenCPN from where? /usr/bin? Your build directory?

Pavel
Old 04-09-2014, 16:52   #10

Quote:
Also.

Before installing 3.3.2028 I renamed /usr/share/opencpn to opencpn.bak which includes the files in question. After installing 3.3.2028 I renamed the associated 'opencpn to 'opencpn.new and opencpn.bak to opencpn. Unless I misunderstand I have done precisely what you suggest. Still, the configuration files are not found. I also edited opencpn.conf to make certain the paths to configuration files were correct.
Old 04-09-2014, 17:01   #11

Quote:
Before installing 3.3.2028 I renamed /usr/share/opencpn to opencpn.bak which includes the files in question. After installing 3.3.2028 I renamed the associated 'opencpn to 'opencpn.new and opencpn.bak to opencpn. Unless I misunderstand I have done precisely what you suggest. Still, the configuration files are not found. I also edited opencpn.conf to make certain the paths to configuration files were correct.
To be honest, I'm lost.
The message you get is complaining about the files defining the GUI, installed into /usr/share/opencpn and of course being included even in the minimal package.
Post output of
Code:
ls -la /usr/share/opencpn/*
And be sure you are running
Code:
/usr/bin/opencpn
Pavel
Old 04-09-2014, 17:02   #12

Quote:
Launching OpenCPN from where? /usr/bin? Your build directory?

Pavel
From terminal "opencpn" <enter> which produced the message.

But /usr/bin/opencpn worked though.

I suspected a path problem previously and executed export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr

'ldconfig'

So, why? Never had to start opencpn with /usr/bin/opencpn before.

Thanks.
Old 04-09-2014, 18:10   #13

Wrong...
Don't you have one in /usr/local/bin (or somewhere else in your $PATH where it is searched first, like a local directory, if you PATH contains ".")? If you cleaned up your build dir completely, it would make a lot of sense as you have to copy the data files there manually, as described in the build instructions, paragraph 5.

Pavel
Old 05-09-2014, 06:01   #14

Quote:
Wrong...
Don't you have one in /usr/local/bin (or somewhere else in your $PATH where it is searched first, like a local directory, if you PATH contains ".")? If you cleaned up your build dir completely, it would make a lot of sense as you have to copy the data files there manually, as described in the build instructions, paragraph 5.

Pavel
Really don't know how it got there since I've always installed in /usr, but yes there was an 'opencpn' executable in /usr/local/bin. Fixed.

I not only ran 'make clean', but deleted, then recreated 'build'. As for copying the data files manually, this is a new requirement, no? In this respect I suspect I'm possibly one of the first using 'git pull' to update OpenCPN to 3.3.2028 and encountering the changes. I'm not making excuses, but I treat GitHub like the Sports Pages in the daily paper. Don't go there to read for the heck of it. And definitely don't read the Sports pages.

Somewhere along the line I've lost the default red ownship too. Read the part about creating UserIcons in /.opencpn and dropped ship_red.png in there. But in the Ships settings the only options displayed are 'Default', 'Real Scale Vector' and Real Scale Bitmap. Selecting Default gives me a tiny circle... Real Scale Bitmap, same-o... In opencpn.config OwnShipIconType=1, which is the Vector (a SHIP). Don't see an option for selecting a custom ownship.

Finally. I'll try building again to see if the build files still land in 'OpenCPN' rather than 'build' where they ought to.

Yep.

-- Build files have been written to: /home/android/Downloads/OpenCPN
Old 05-09-2014, 06:18   #15

Quote:
Really don't know how it got there since I've always installed in /usr, but yes there was an 'opencpn' executable in /usr/local/bin. Fixed.
/usr/local is the default for local builds, you probably simply used cmake without the PREFIX parameter sometimes
Quote:
I not only ran 'make clean', but deleted, then recreated 'build'. As for copying the data files manually, this is a new requirement, no?
No, it was always like this. Note that it is needed just in case you want to run from a non-standard location, once you make package or make install, it is irrelevant.
Quote:
In this respect I suspect I'm possibly one of the first using 'git pull' to update OpenCPN to 3.3.2028 and encountering the changes. I'm not making excuses, but I treat GitHub like the Sports Pages in the daily paper. Don't go there to read for the heck of it. And definitely don't read the Sports pages.
Well, a good practice is to look at the changelog at least when something looks "broken"
Quote:
Somewhere along the line I've lost the default red ownship too. Read the part about creating UserIcons in /.opencpn and dropped ship_red.png in there. But in the Ships settings the only options displayed are 'Default', 'Real Scale Vector' and Real Scale Bitmap. Selecting Default gives me a tiny circle... Real Scale Bitmap, same-o... In opencpn.config OwnShipIconType=1, which is the Vector (a SHIP). Don't see an option for selecting a custom ownship.
The default red ownship is "Default"
If you want to replace it with your own picture, drop ownship.png there as said in paragraph 3 of User Icons | Official OpenCPN Homepage

Pavel