Since then, I worked on 1/ and sent a patch last week:

latest version is here
OpenCPN Version 2.1.0 Beta
read this for more detail

Before that, I send a few patches:
- CPA release alarm option
following a dialog with Dave about negative TCPA calculation. Some might be interested in such option.

- AIS target rollover enhancement
AIS Target Mouseover Data
this post has some info OpenCPN Version 2.1.0 Beta
Dave agreed on the basics of this patch (see OpenCPN Version 2.1.0 Beta)

- AIS target list sorting & column selection (see post above)
As per comment from Dave, this will require much more work. Maybe a simpler patch like this with some changes (saving changes in config) may work till then.

- GRIB navigate
was also a popular request (previous / next buttons to navigate in grib data)
Latest version here (bug in first version)
Description here
But I guess it'll need some more work: it changes from folder browsing to one file at once. Awaiting comments.

Others
- Route leg info display: currently only shown on right mouse click. May be displayed on mouseover (with alphablending as the AIS target rollover above)
- Show track for AIS targets (some code already found in source, status unknown)
- Revamp GPX import/export buttons: replace them with Route Manager button. Cleanup right mouse button menu as well (see comments in route/waypoint manager posts)

Now... awaiting comments from Dave about these. I guess Waypoint manager (Route Manager v2) & AIS target rollover may be included soon, may require some changes. No idea about others.
I'll start working on nav console now, Dave sent me some files from another contributor ; I'll get back to you as soon as I have something decent.

General comment: it would be easier for me to be able to work on branches (time to migrate to git? ) so people can test these new features without all this CVS/patch nightmare

Thanks a lot Dave & volunteer all around. You rock!

Old 28-06-2010, 05:42   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Chiquita 46 - Libertalia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SethDart View Post
Thanks a lot Dave & volunteer all around. You rock!
Impressive list! The 'leg info upon mouseover' would really improve that feature

Old 28-06-2010, 14:57   #18

Boat: Valiant Esprit 37
It would be much appreciated to add support for the Furuno GPS, GP-31, GP-32 etc. I haven't been able to successfully upload to these and this is my primary GPS. And thanks to all for a great nav program!
Old 28-06-2010, 20:09   #19

Boat: bristol 27
Celestial Navigation support with my new (more correct) patch:

0001-celestial-navigation-support.patch

Please test and give me feedback and feel free to change cosmetic things, it could be improved more (ofcourse).
Old 29-06-2010, 17:59   #20

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Hi!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
I have a little list.

2. We must, must come up with a dashboard screen similar to NavMonPC,...

4. Design/implement a plug-in architecture. First candidate is GRIB. This way, the GRIB support can be removed from the base code, isolated, and understood as a unit. Optimization will follow. With a plugin methodology, we could add KML support, GE overlay, etc.
I also vote for these points. And maybe the second one can already be implemented in the way supposed in fourth?

But beside new feature requests I'd like to propose some improvements in usability and the removal of some inconsistencies (in usage).

I guess the range of
  • different systems and configurations
  • used charts
  • personal preferences (of the navigator)
  • many other things
is extremely wide. That is why I always vote for making as many things as possible configurable by the settings in the toolbox.

Now here are my proposals or better my personal wish list:
  1. The Toolbar
    The toolbar represents the most important place for usability because it is the only place for "one-click" settings/ functions. Therefore there should be icons for the (probably) most used functions during cruising.
    Regarding for example the scale in and out icons. They are completely functionless when there are only CM93 charts used (which probably may often be the case for European sailors), so they could be removed in this case (or at least be disabled for not confusing the user).

Regarding point 2 of Dave's list I would still prefer some kind of split-screen (which will be extremely useful for users who have a large screen). And if there would be an icon on the toolbar to toggle the split-screen on/off, that would be perfect. Just some notes ...
    Separation of chart window and dashboard for systems with multiple (2) monitors, split-screen for wide screens, overlay with configurable transparency for small screens ...

An icon for switching the "Look ahead mode" on/ off would also be nice to have (e.g. as replacement for the change color scheme icon).

And maybe it would be possible to change some of the existings icons to some kind of drop-down menu/list with the corresponding config settings? I am thinking about the "Show ENC text" icon where there could be the settings for Vector Charts like SCAMIN etc.

IMHO the GPX icons should be removed and their functions should be integrated to the Route Manager (see 2.).
  2. The Route Manager
    The new Route Manager is great. But there is also some place for further improvements. As written above I'll find it great if all things dealing with WPs, Routes and Tracks could be combined in the Route Manager. Therefore things like the possibility for multi-selection of WPs, Routes and Tracks for export would be helpful.

Or the possibility to convert a track to a route.

Also a separation (visually) between WPs, Tracks and Routes will be helpful.
  3. MOB function
    I guess it is due to the "function design" of OCPN that there always have to be at least 2 points for a route? Personally I would prefer a solution (if it is possible) where the "Go To Here" and also the MOB function would work with the actual position as the "first" WP and calculating the route to the "real" (second) WP which is the MOB or Go To Here position.
  4. Windows Installer
    If possible the installer could be improved by localizing it and adding the language selection to it.
And some thoughts or more or less some questions because of lacking personal experiences or just not having the relevant knowledge:
  • Would it be of any advantage (e.g. for the performance) if the small bitmap which is shown for each S57 and BSB chart could be turned off by config setting? In my opinion showing the chart outlines will be sufficient (but I am only using CM93 charts).
  • Also the pop-up information window is imho of less use if you have only installed CM93 charts. In this case it would be nice if it could be switched off.
  • Is there any "technical" need/ reason why the context menu entry for the CM93 detail slider is absent when chart quilting is enabled?
    BTW: It would be very nice if there could be a possibility to integrate this setting in the toolbar (because it is very often used while cruising).
  • The context menu entry "Remove this chart from quilt" isn't very useful if there are only CM93 charts installed.
But even if I have some points on my wish list the new version 2.1.0 is a great piece of software and it is getting nearly close to perfect!
So let me thank you Dave and all the other contributors for your great work.

Thanks,
Gunther
Old 30-06-2010, 03:33   #21

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Lat/ Lon scale

Hi,

it is me again - forgot some small points ... .

A Lat/Lon scale (at the top and left side of the chart window) would be helpful. Especially when printing charts.

BTW: I have not yet figured out what size/ length the ruler at the left side of the chart window shows. Maybe there could be units added to it?

As I played around with the printing chart function (to file and convert it to PDF via Ghostscript) I recognized that there are always 2 pages produced, where the first one is a blank page. No big thing but I am just interested in if anyone can confirm this?

Thanks,
Gunther
Old 30-06-2010, 06:12   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Netsurfer View Post
Hi,

(1)...I have not yet figured out what size/ length the ruler at the left side of the chart window shows. Maybe there could be units added to it?

(2) As I played around with the printing chart function (to file and convert it to PDF via Ghostscript) I recognized that there are always 2 pages produced, where the first one is a blank page. No big thing but I am just interested in if anyone can confirm this?

Thanks,
Gunther
Re (1)
The S52 file says there are two such scales
- a one mile scalebar for display scales larger than 1/80,000 (SCALEB10)
and
-a 10 mile latitude scale for display scales smaller than 1/80,000 (SCALEB11)

Re(2)
Both CutePDFwriter and PDFCreator (Windows, Vista Home) output a blank first page.
Old 02-07-2010, 13:26   #23

Boat: Beneteau First 29 Ptizef
AIS

Hi all ,

I was far from connection for a few days ,so sorry , I was not involved in the last test days for 2.10 . As I discovered the release , I would like to thanks and congratulate all the team and particularly Dave for all the work and the formidable result . Opencpn is on the way to become the best chart plotter ever seen !

I would like also express some ideas of improvements for the AIS function, and what I would have liked to have during my navigations
1.a An icon (in the icon bar) to switch on/off the alarm (which have been previously set in the toolbox) .
Very annoying to have an alarm ringing always when arriving in a harbor with many targets .Going to toolbox to deactivate alarm is not easy in stressed conditions
1.b The transparency alarm dialog is not very easy to read and take too place in the screen . Could it be possible to have a more small dialog not transparent but always placed at a corner of the screen (the best should be at the opposite corner from the boat) ?
1.c When alarm state is not stable , if you "acknowledge" , the alarm is back soon and you have always alarm , acknowledgment , alarm ...
Could it be possible to have a permanent acknowledgment for the target meaning that there will be no other alarm for this target except if this target go out of the CPA calculation range ?
1.d Right clicking on the target is not easy in rough conditions . The boat is moving , the chart is moving .... It's like trying to shoot a bird while flying . I tested the rollover patch from Sethdar ( Thanks )
It's just what I would want . But I have some remarks about :
- It needs some adaptation for Windows see shot attached)
- All informations are on the same line (seams "/n" doesn't work)
- Course unit is not correctly displayed ( sign " ° " seams not recognized)
- When the target is near the screen left side , the informations are not visible , (outside of the screen)
- I didn't understand what exactly means the parameter "Display ship name if available" as ship name is always displayed if available but I would propose :
first line as a standard = Shipname , MMSI , Call sign
second line if selected = Class , type , status
third line if selected = SOG,COG
fourth line if selected = CPA , TCPA

regards
Jean Pierre
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ais-1.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	281.8 KB
ID:	17496  
Old 02-07-2010, 14:00   #24

Route manager

Hi

I tested route manager v2 patch from Sethdar (thanks once more) It's a very interesting improvement . I didn't test all but averything seams to work fine .Just a remark about transforming a track in a route .I tested with a track created during a 8 hours sailing . As I had set "creating a track point each 60 seconds" , the track had about 480 track points . The route created had also these 480 wpts .
First , I was obliged to cancel this route because I had performance problems , opencpn hanged , I could not open route manager etc ..
second remark , it makes no sens to create a route with as many wpts . May be this function would need a more sophisticated algorithm to create only useful wpts ?
In addition , for those interested , I propose attached two small patches to be run after Sethdar's patch
The first one
-add Length , plan speed (as set in properties) and plan time for routes
-add time and speed for tracks ( time is based on the offset between first and last track points timestamp and speed calculated lenght/time)
-add font change for active route (as for active track)
- add utilization of "find the best point to be activate" as when activate route by context menu
The second one updates the first track point of an active track before the boat has started to move . This ensure that the time calculated is always accurate

these two patches work with windows , but I don't know what happens with other OS

Others possible improvements :
Route manager trigger by an icon in the toolbar
Add "export all" for each categories (routes , tracks , marks) to be able to export its in different files

regards
Jean Pierre
Attached Files
File Type: doc routemanagerdialog-v2.2.cpp.patch.doc (6.2 KB, 30 views)
File Type: doc navutil-updatestarttime.cpp.patch.doc (573 Bytes, 22 views)
Old 02-07-2010, 15:37   #25

Ptizef,

It seems that your patchs do not work with Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 and cvs installation. It's a pity it seemed interesting .

For Ubuntu users : is it possible to apply a patch with a .deb installation ? And if yes, how ?

Jean-Pierre
Old 02-07-2010, 16:01   #26

Speed data for tracks

AWESOME SOFTWARE! I am a sailboat racer, and new to using this software...but learning quickly..it's very easy to use.

When using the track properties window, all points are displayed with dist, bearing, lat/long, timestamp....but no speed data. It looks like the window is a reuse of the route properties window. Speed data would be very useful to review past history and plan when I will get to a destination or point.

realtime speed and vmg would be cool too in the route window with xte, brg, and rng (or make those selectable).

-john
Old 03-07-2010, 12:26   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpiebrig View Post
Ptizef,

It seems that your patchs do not work with Ubuntu Lucid 10.04 and cvs installation. It's a pity it seemed interesting .

For Ubuntu users : is it possible to apply a patch with a .deb installation ? And if yes, how ?

Jean-Pierre

Did you run the two patches from SethDar first ? (see his post #16 in this threat
in any case there is problem with the font and the patch attached is corrected
you must run the four patches in this order from current CVS files
1- opencpn_routemanager-v2.patch
2- opencpn-aistargetrollover.diff
3- routemanagerdialog-v2.3.cpp.patch
4- navutil-updatestarttime.cpp.patch

I can't help you for the patch process , I don't know Linux

regards
Jean Pierre
Attached Files
File Type: doc routemanagerdialog-v2.3.cpp.patch.doc (5.8 KB, 27 views)
File Type: doc navutil-updatestarttime.cpp.patch.doc (573 Bytes, 23 views)
Old 03-07-2010, 14:46   #28

Pitzef,

I have applied the patches as said, but .diff are accepted but not .patch
May be it is not the same command line to apply .diff and .patch ?

Jean-Pierre
Old 03-07-2010, 17:53   #29

Boat: bristol 27
the diff command creates the patch, the patch command applies it.
Old 04-07-2010, 09:39   #30

Jpiebring,

Sorry , I can't help you
.diff Have been created by SethDar . May be He can help ?
For me in windows , .diff are teated exactly the same way as . patch (I use Patch.exe)
Try to patch the others files without this one , may it works as the .dif is for Aisrollover which is apart of the route manager ?

Jean Pierre

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: