Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2014, 21:52   #376

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: 12vdc Marine Computers

The waterproof mouses look interesting but also very expensive.

The voice interface... good idea but I don't think it would work very well.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 23:16   #377

Quote:
Originally Posted by seglar-lulle View Post
I used a beta from June / July. If I remember correctly it took between 0.5 and 0.7A when running and less than 0.1 when asleep. That is Windows sleep.
I just found the notes where all different electricity consumers were measured.

The NUC consumed 0.5A at normal usage. Which pretty well equates to 6W. The 22" high resolution display ate 1.7A which is about 20W.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
seglar-lulle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 14:42   #378

thanks Freddie. Sounds to me like an arm is a low power breadboarded processer with IO decoders, display driver and buffer amplifiers. Never new someone was selling them already configured but they would be handy for lots of applications.
21 inch display, I like that as a minimum for me is 15 inch. I would prefer a waterproof display as my boats get wet, even my trawler had wet times inside crossing bars from spilled drinks and during weather.
This is a great thread. Sounds like most posters are on the same track as I except from a different direction. I have gone the netbook way instead of an arm but may now switch.

Oh, and thanks to everyone for there informative posts
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 15:17   #379

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
thanks Freddie. Sounds to me like an arm is a low power breadboarded processer with IO decoders, display driver and buffer amplifiers. Never new someone was selling them already configured but they would be handy for lots of applications.
21 inch display, I like that as a minimum for me is 15 inch. I would prefer a waterproof display as my boats get wet, even my trawler had wet times inside crossing bars from spilled drinks and during weather.
This is a great thread. Sounds like most posters are on the same track as I except from a different direction. I have gone the netbook way instead of an arm but may now switch.

Oh, and thanks to everyone for there informative posts
Actually, an ARM is a CPU or processor. Its analog in the PC world would be an Intel Pentium or its more modern flavors like the i5 or i7 that is likely in your Windows based laptop. AMD also makes processors for the Wondows laptop market. ARM, on the other hand is the core design architecture of a CPU. This core design is sold (as intellectual property) by a company called ARM. However ARM (the company) does not actually make or sell CPUs, only the design. Other companies buy this core architecture and integrate it into their parts. A (very good) example of this is the Freescale i.MX6 Cortex-A9 that is integrated into the Wandboard. Freescale (used to be Motorola) integrates the ARM Cortex-A9 core into their processor. I only explain all this because the terminology can get confusing to the uninitiated.

BTW, the Freescale i.MX6 Cortex-A9 is the processor used by B&G in their Zeus^2 chart plotters. They have a single core in the 7 and 9 inch models, and dual core in the 12 in. I'd think a quad core would do well running CPN.
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 16:08   #380

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Quote:
Freescale i.MX6 Cortex-A9 is the processor used by B&G in their Zeus^2 chart plotters. They have a single core in the 7 and 9 inch models, and dual core in the 12 in. I'd think a quad core would do well running CPN.
Is this the current B&G Zeus ? ...Very interesting. Wonder what they use for a graphics processor.
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2014, 16:50   #381

Boat: Perry 59' 2006
Send a message via Skype™ to Is05land

I've used laptops on my boats for years. Here's what works absolutely. Don't screw around with anything fancy, just get a small inverter and use it just like you would at home. As mentioned, the laptop mfg's seem to all use a different voltage system. With the inverter, you can plug in anything (small watts) at it will run just fine, plus your laptop battery will stay charged. I previously used a laptop purchased in 2002; it still has the original battery and it still works just fine.
And you can also use the inverter to charge all your other toys.
Is05land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 01:56   #382

Normally the psu that converts 220 volts into 20 volts for a laptop is not designed for maximum efficiency. Usually around 70% Note how hot it can get. Also the inverter is usually 80% efficient.

I try never to use an inverter, instead a dc-dc converter to drive laptops which is normally 85-90% efficient.
Old 14-10-2014, 02:39   #383

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
I try never to use an inverter, instead a dc-dc converter to drive laptops which is normally 85-90% efficient.
Agreed , I use one of these DCDC-USB, Intelligent DC-DC converter with USB interface
Not only more efficient but also much less interference when sucking down satellites and stuff.
Old 14-10-2014, 03:39   #384

Also, it is very difficult to pick up ssb transmissions when an inverter is running.
Old 14-10-2014, 03:48   #385

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Also, it is very difficult to pick up ssb transmissions when an inverter is running.
Yup... when I used to use my bog standard Jaycar inverter it had to be switched off when doing any radio work.
Old 14-10-2014, 04:08   #386
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Normally the psu that converts 220 volts into 20 volts for a laptop is not designed for maximum efficiency. Usually around 70% Note how hot it can get. Also the inverter is usually 80% efficient.

My little asus netbook seems happy enough running off one is for these..
http://m.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_nkw=...+&sqp=&trksid=
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2014, 04:33   #387

.80 x .70 = .56 That means 30w requires 54w for example.
Old 14-10-2014, 12:40   #388

Quote:
The waterproof mouses look interesting but also very expensive.

The voice interface... good idea but I don't think it would work very well.
to much noise for accurate interpretation of voice commands. Maybe windows 10 will have improved capability in this area
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 12:04   #389

Boat: 1983 Fu Hwa Seahorse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post
Would the Cubieboard 2 install instructions apply to CubieTruck (Cubieboard3) since it is the same processor etc?
Yes, for the most part.

I got OpenCPN running on a CubieTruck in a long afternoon. Every step of the process is outlined on my blog.

It seems to run very nicely, and is quite stable (I had it running for about 6 hours, and it had no problems).
mattkab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 04:03   #390

Thanks very much MattKab . Your blog is a wonderful source for opencpn on raspberry pi and cubietruck, as well as painting countertops. You make arduino sound so easy to make gps ais autopilot controls.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Tags
12v computers, marine computers