Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2013, 22:14   #196

Boat: Beneteau First 44.7
Re: 12vdc Marine Computers

I built a mini AT computer in a mini case similar to that described on page 1 of thread. I did include a number of cooling fans to keep system running in tropice. Used a 12volt dc "automobile" power supply ie one that will accept from 18-10 volt dc input. I use a standard Acer 18" flat screen monitor. This came with an 18 volt dc input via an AC/DC converter. Initially I ran the screen using a variable voltage DC/DC transformer device (correct terminology escapes me) that was brought to charge an 18 volt laptop from the 12volt boat supply. However one day I happened to alter the output of this device (variable from 12 volt to 24 volt) back to 12 volts and the screen still ran. Now I simply run the screen direct from 12 volt supply. This is a major saving as an equivalent 12 volt screen will set you back $1000.s compared with an offshelf ACER or similar.
frant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 23:28   #197

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler

A long way back in the thread I think someone was saying it was hard to find a 12VDC stabilised power supply. I've installed this one Samlex IDC-100A-12 DC Converter 100 Watt | ChargingChargers.com to run my NEXCOM panel PC Nexcom - Panel PC and Displays - Applied Panel PC - APPC 1230T/1231T
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2013, 23:57   #198
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt-couillon View Post

Interested in any comments about this setup. Total cost with all new parts, ~$700 US
Might be worth having a look at the raspberry pi as well, bit sluggish but works. Much cheaper. I use a Samsung monitor straight into boat 12v.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 00:16   #199

Boat: Corbin Ketch 39ft

I'm using a jetway mini itx mboard with a daughterboard to giive me 4 serial ports plus usb., The serial ports make it easy for Nmea 0183, sailmail, pactor ec,, I use the AOC usb monitor on one usb, bluetooth radio on another. I have a miniplex bluetooth that allows easy conections for laptops, or other gadgets but keep it conected via usb to the pc because of a sometime bt conflict. Everything is at the chart table that is a stretch to see from the helm. I navigated from Palau to the Phillipines and amcurrently cruising the Phillipines using openCPN and CM93 ed2. E rything so far is almost spot on. I also was just gifted with an android tablet so I put Navionics on it. As far as I can tell they are the same charts, error in lights and all.
Joe
Jubilee
Jubilee39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 00:43   #200

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

I have got one of these as a general boat computer. Its a good ready made solution for those (like me) are have not got the time to assemble your own.

Sealed, Rugged Embedded Atom PC. Works up to 45 C.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	61094  
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 01:37   #201
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
I have got one of these as a general boat computer. Its a good ready made solution for those (like me) are have not got the time to assemble your own.

Nice

2 rs232's - very useful.
Old 21-05-2013, 05:20   #202
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

(Google for 12V mod if really want that)

Serial ports?

Keeps on running without problems unlike miniITX and picoITX that I had before. 14W idle but i5 cpu.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 06:11   #203

Boat: Cornado 25

@NahanniV
Quote:
This USB monitors power consumption looks good, but I would be concerned that there would not be enough processing power to run the display-link with OpenCPN on the CuBox
As the Displaylink board in the monitor is handling the actual rendering, I hope this will not be an issue. 800mhz board isn't fast but the 2 gig sdram should help.

@conachair
Quote:
Might be worth having a look at the raspberry pi as well, bit sluggish but works.
Thought about that... but the Pi is just a bit too "development" for my learning/patience curve. In actuality any ARM based system is probably going to be more of a PITA than I want to deal with. The 3W of the CuBox (or the Pi) is attractive but if I can scrape up twice the price, will probably go with a std architecture. Won't be as light in power use, but a lot more flexible.

@svJedi
I recognize the TrippLite hub, but what is the box in your top photo? Missed the description somewhere

Tks All
Old 21-05-2013, 06:38   #204
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64

Quote:
I recognize the TrippLite hub, but what is the box in your top photo? Missed the description somewhere
It's a Keyspan 4-port serial to USB box that works particularly well because of the quality of the drivers. Tripp acquired Keyspan some time ago yes.

The computer is a plain standard Mac Mini. Biggest performance @ low power consumption in about the smallest form factor on earth
I use it to run Windows7 with MaxSea. (plus MacOS with everything from entertainment to email etc. Windows runs as VM)
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 06:57   #205

@ s/v Jedi

Tks
Old 21-05-2013, 07:43   #206
cruiser

Quote:
@conachair Thought about that... but the Pi is just a bit too "development" for my learning/patience curve. In actuality any ARM based system is probably going to be more of a PITA than I want to deal with. The 3W of the CuBox (or the Pi) is attractive but if I can scrape up twice the price, will probably go with a std architecture. Won't be as light in power use, but a lot more flexible.
Unless you really like fiddling you're probably right, I have a mini itx based on an
Intel D510MO Atom Motherboard
motherboard as the main boat computer plus a couple of Pi's which I've had working but are lying on a shelf waiting some attention. Good for low power media servers though, with XBMC loaded. One day a Pi might get hard wired in tandem to run opencpn constantly offshore. But not this week
Old 21-05-2013, 14:10   #207

Boat: Nauticat 42 (Jersey, U.K.)
Send a message via Skype™ to bobsadler

I/O for the APPC1230T - there are 4 x USB, 2 x mini-PCIe slots, 1 x SIM card holder. Stand-by power consumption is 9.5W.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pc1.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	61127  
bobsadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 14:45   #208
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here's a blog post I wrote describing the computer setup I used during last year's sailing: New Navstation Computer? « VALIS
This is an Asus EeeBox computer and a USB monitor. The whole shebang, including computer, monitor, USB hub, quad RS232 adaptor, wireless keyboard and trackball, and satphone charger burned about 2.5A @ 12V.

While I say that the display can be dimmed appropriately, after using it for a while I think it is still too bright for night operation. I threw a towel over it when I wasn't using it.

It worked well, and freed up space on the chart table, but for normal use I've gone back to a low-power laptop / "netbook", since it's much more convenient to take on and off the boat. I'm not living aboard.
Paul Elliott, S/V VALIS - Pacific Seacraft 44 #16 - Friday Harbor, WA
www.sailvalis.com
Paul Elliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 15:49   #209

"That's my final answer Alex"...

Have decided that while the CuBox / Usb powered monitor is a project I might pursue sometime in the future (Hopefully 20 degrees of latitude south of here) it is just too expensive and time consuming for the present. With that in mind, have to have the basic electronics anyway, plus a laptop for trips ashore (email, etc) so here is what I am doing.

VHF Radio / Ais Rcvr / GPS Display (Standard Horizon GX2150)
GPS Receiver ( GlobalSat MR350)
Laptop (Assus EPC1000HE) running #! linux
Navware (PolarView / PolarCom / OpenCpn)
Powered USB hub
Power Supply 10-14.5 Vdc input 5v 12v dc output.

The system should be quick and easy to build, and the Assus (re-manufactured) is priced right close to the originally proposed CuBox, and only draws 9W vs the CuBox 3W. Plus it goes ashore in a bag.
No fussing around with ARM architecture.
With the MR350 running off a powered bus and tied into a NMEA bus with the GX2150, display and data xfer can run independent of the laptop and nav software. The GX2150 will accept storage of up to 100 way-points which can be uploaded prior to getting underway. Reduces power to <10W and I already plot to paper charts underway regardless of whether or not there is a chart plotter available.
If excess house power is available the laptop can be hot-plugged into the system for realtime plotting.
Upgrade to ultra-low power ARM based system with usb driven display can be done in the future with no reversion problems.

Thanks to y'all for your input, the discussion has helped to clarify my initial priorities. Now I might have time to hack up that tafrail generator..

Fair Winds,
David
(aka Cap' Couillon)
Onboard s/v Solitaire
Along side Deltaville Va
Old 24-05-2013, 08:44   #210

Boat: Oyster 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post

They look good. I have a 5 year old atom pc and I am getting tired of its poor performance. V. slow. Maybe the new ones are much better. It would be good to play video. Have you tried it with video?
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v computers, marine computers