Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2012, 12:10   #106

Boat: Taswell 49
Re: 12vdc Marine Computers

Looking for a monitor that will run off 12v DC so I dont have to use the inverter to run the computer. I know there are some monitors out there that have DC bricks but im having trouble finding them. I would like something in the 17" variety but could go up to 19". Im trying not to use anything wider than 17 1/2" which is where most 19" monitors end up.

Was thinking of heading to best buy and checking out the cords as this does not seem to be a spec that is ever posted even though many of these monitors actually run on 12v.

The plan is to use the laptop but keep it inside the chart table where it can be safely sedcured and allow me to use my chart table. Then use an external monitor and wireless keyboad/ mouse.
SV Demeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 13:19   #107

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Some of the Visio Brand televisions have a brick. I made up a cord for our 19-inch LED model and plug it directly into a 12vdc outlet. It's a TV, but like most flat panels, it also works well as a monitor. Dual duty is always good.
Old 22-03-2012, 13:22   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
Some of the Visio Brand televisions have a brick. I made up a cord for our 19-inch LED model and plug it directly into a 12vdc outlet. It's a TV, but like most flat panels, it also works well as a monitor. Dual duty is always good.

Thanks can you tell me the model visio?
Old 22-03-2012, 13:22   #109

Boat: Koopmans, 33 ft cutter

You will have a better chance finding a 15" screen with an external power supply (brick) as the move from 15" to 17" happened at about the same time as the move to the internal power supply.
Letting a laptop run inside a chart table might result in overheating and a computer crash.
Zoef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 13:25   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoef View Post
You will have a better chance finding a 15" screen with an external power supply (brick) as the move from 15" to 17" happened at about the same time as the move to the internal power supply.
Letting a laptop run inside a chart table might result in overheating and a computer crash.

Thanks, 15" would be fine. Hoping for specific models...

My chart table is sort of unique as there is a very large locker underneath it that is accessed from a plate that lifts up out of the bottom of the chart table. There is plenty of room inside this locker for the laptop to get airflow, thanks for the concern.
Old 22-03-2012, 13:36   #111

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Demeter View Post
Thanks can you tell me the model visio?
I'll look this weekend when I'm on board.
Old 22-03-2012, 13:59   #112

I have a VIORE brand monitor and it works great right off my ships 12VDC system.

Info here: S/V Deep Playa – Dawn and Patrick - New Nav Station Bench and Desk Completed

Took me forever to find the exact item I needed so I feel your pain. In the end the best info was in the pictures of the back of the monitors, the specs and ultimately contacting company support if the back of the monitor showed a DC jack but the specs did not indicate the output voltage of the AC to DC converter brick.

Best of luck!
-p
Old 22-03-2012, 14:52   #113

Boat: Endeavour TrawlerCat 36 - My Bluegill Heaven

I know it's a power hog, but the best nav computer monitor I've used is the Panasonic VDL-02. Runs straight off of 12V even tho it's specced for 15. full sunlight viewable! And the last thing I want to be doing is squinting at the monitor, moving my head to minimize glare, while trying to navigate an inlet.

Plus, it's touchscreen so I don't have to have a mouse swinging by its cord and bouncing off the bulkhead.

Usually available on eBay for $75 - $150 depending on condition. These come up in batches of 20 or more every time a police department somewhere upgrades. The 03 is out, so the 02's are going cheap. the new 03's are about $2k, so grab a deal when you can.
BluegillBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 15:12   #114

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

For any DC powered electronic you can find a DC-DC converter that will run it off your 12 (or 24v) DC system. A good source is Powerstream, powerstream.com, (note: no connection with them, just use them). All you need you do is find the DC input rating for the equipment, get a converter, 12v DC to that, and hook it up. For example, my laptop is 19.3 VDC, so I have a 12-19 converter and it works great. Same with two different TVs, Sharp HD, on the boat. Most of Powerstream converters are in the $20-25 range.
JayCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 15:30   #115

Boat: C&C 38
I use a Pyle PLVW15 it's a 15" with VGA and composite inputs. Was very reasonable from Amazon.

Ron
Mahaila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 19:24   #116

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach

I have a Mag Innovision monitor. It's LED so uses much less power than the usual fluorescent backlighting.

Many other monitors could work for you:

I-Inc IK141ABB 14" Widescreen LED Monitor
AOC e943F/e2043F/e2243F/e2343F
Hanns-G HL193AB/HL231HP
Mag Innovision GML1920/GML2226/GML2427
Samsung SyncMaster BX2035/BX2235/BX2335
LG E2250T-PN/E1950T/E2050T

Some don't have VESA mounting; that was a critical factor for us. We just lift it off the wall and restore the base when we move it around to a shelf facing the salon seating when we want to watch a movie from our digital storepile.

Many TVs today use 12VDC also, but you may have difficulty finding a barrel plug if it has the one with three parts to it rather than the center-positive/ring-negative typical. You don't need to destroy your brick to use these; save the brick for any time you might want to take it ashore, and get a pigtail, cheaply, from a myriad of sources, to tie into ship's power. Use a mike to get the right size in mm for both pin and barrel, or call the maker to get that spec - a pigtail is a couple of bux.

We listen to movies, or other sound items such as the radio or music, through an ordinary automotive unit which has 4x45W output, but also has USB (iPod, i.e.) input, SD chip input, and remote (male-male extension from the earphone-out jack on our computer). VR3, cheaply available at WalMart, includes a remote. The CD reads WMA and MP3s, too.

At this time, the only AC device in our system is our laser printer. Our computer and WiFi adapter/amplifier/high-gain antenna are both from Marine PC's & WiFi by IslandTime PC and use straight ship's power, as does our wrt54GL Linksys router. Our powered hub, and our 2x 2T and 1x 1T and 500G HDDs need "clean" 12VDC, so are powered through the 12VDC-out jack built into my computer.

HTH

L8R

Skip
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 23:30   #117

Boat: Koopmans, 33 ft cutter

I'm using a Compaq 1520 monitor, VGA + HDMI input, VESA mounting, consumes about 15W when switched on and almost nothing when the computer switches the screen off. Paid 20 $$ for it.....
Zoef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2012, 23:53   #118

Boat: Westerly Oceandream, 35-feet

LG makes LED backlit monitors that run on 12V. I use the 23-inch but they may have smaller ones as well. Mine draws 1-2A depending on how I set the brightness.

The are 12V computers available that use less power than most laptops and may even cost less. I got mine from Polywell in San Francisco but there is also the Fit-PC which may be even better. Also, netbooks tend to be low power and some, such as the Acer Aspire One, will run on 12V (although the battery will not charge).
Subtandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2012, 05:36   #119
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Westsail 32 #676

Here's a couple of 12 volt TV's that Newegg had in stock.
Haier LED-LCD HDTV LE22B13800 / LE24B13800
iSymphony 24" LE24IF20
Old 23-03-2012, 10:07   #120

I have a 12v monitor from MP3car.com Monitors and Touchscreens no problems in 2+ years of operation. They have quite a range there, mine is 10" Lilliput I think.. memory does not serve me well!
Littlechay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v computers, marine computers