Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-11-2010, 17:29   #91
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Another tack, but with its own severe limitation:

Nobeltec makes a "Black Box" that will allow you to hook up many other manufacturer's radars to their software. But, ONLY to Nobeltec software. And it's frightfully expensive.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 00:18   #92

asus 12v

asus does a 9 and 10 inch 12v laptop.eee900 series.some have flashdrives,some have harddrives.screens are non reflective and pretty good.a std 12v car cigarrete lighter charger works with them.the new models cost $300 but they are now 19v so no good.a used 12v model if you can find one for a couple of hundred dollars is a good option.
doocruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 21:59   #93

After some research on this forum and other places, I am building an onboard computer based around BeagleBoard+OpenCPN.

I'm only at the beginning, just got to the point of having proper 5V power from the boat battery and Ubuntu running on the BeagleBoard. Next step is getting OpenCPN up and running.

I'll post more detail in a separate thread, but I can already say the big winner is power consumption. At less than 1A including computer+screen, the baby is eating about as much as a stupid light bulb.
antoche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:15   #94
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoche View Post
After some research on this forum and other places, I am building an onboard computer based around BeagleBoard+OpenCPN.

I'm only at the beginning, just got to the point of having proper 5V power from the boat battery and Ubuntu running on the BeagleBoard. Next step is getting OpenCPN up and running.

I'll post more detail in a separate thread, but I can already say the big winner is power consumption. At less than 1A including computer+screen, the baby is eating about as much as a stupid light bulb.
Awesome. You might want to start a new thread and post your project log as you do it. I, for one, would be very interested.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 08:16   #95

Boat: Najad391
I have just bought a new computer to be installed in our sailing boat. Bought in Sweden for app 300€. Run on 12 VDC, less than 20W. Has 2 com-ports, 5 USB and CPU 1,6 GHZ 2 GB RAM and HDD 160 GB, also possible to be installed with SSD.
MP-HAHE-FC Atom 270 Flktls - Mini-ITX.se - mini-itx.se
(sorry text in the link is Swedish). Has installed XP and starting to load navigationsprogram.
I use 2 display, one at the nav. table and one "outdoor". To get vga signal to display nr 2 I use a USB to VGA converter. All work very well.
janp391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 09:30   #96

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Quote:
Originally Posted by W32PAMELA View Post
Here are some available 12 volt LED backlight monitors. Of these only the Mag Innovision have VESA mounts on the back.

Samsung SyncMaster BX2035/BX2235/BX2335
Samsung BX2050
LG E1950T/E2050T/E2250T
Mag Innovision GML1920/GML2226/GML2427
Furthermore, Bob (the original poster above, noted only because it's so far down the tree from here) builds 12V house supply computers which come with a 19.2V brick for when you want to take it to shore, as I do every time we hit land for a visit with kids/grandkids. From the above you can properly infer that I have one of his creations on the boat.

I used to build desktops from boards and frames, so I'm not afraid of doing it. However, given his customer support, including me when I wasn't even a customer and trying to solve a nasty WiFi problem (he got it to work when even those using the identical gear couldn't, all over emails), there was no way I was going to try to build my own when he'd supply a plug-and-play.

Further, given the above, you can see that his PS inside is quite happy with boat power at least as far up as 19.2V, an unlikely event on 12V systems. Further, he'll build in a filtered 12V out for things like HDs (I have 4 external HDs), routers, screens and the like, if you ask, along with every conceivable bell and whistle you might need (I have hdmi, dvi, vga, firewire, 8USB, 5RS232, 12V filtered out, 2 ethernet, parallel, sound in/out/mike, DVDburn, and prolly a few other features I've forgotten, all with XP if you prefer) or other goodies you might want.

I have mine mounted under a shelf, with only a couple inches of the 12" square, 2.5" tall box sticking out under my VESA mounted monitor (which I remove from the bulkhead and put back on the stand, on a shelf, when we watch movies). We connect sound out to our sound system, which means great sound when watching movies (Bose speakers beat the pants off any TV-mounted speakers!)...

As an aside, not to hijack this very active and pretty old thread, our sound system is an XR3 by Roadmaster, available cheaply at WalMart; it has USB, SDchip, Aux and CD/mp3/wma slot, along with the usual AM/FM. It's face mounted in a panel, so it looks like it would if it were in your car; it uses house power, too, of course, since it's designed for a car. The various non-CD inputs allow for no rotating parts when you want music or other sound output.

And a final aside, go to his website (Marine PC's & WiFi by IslandTime PC) to see his computers as well as the killer WiFi application; mousing over the WiFi will let you see his plug-and-play gear installed on my and a couple of other boats. 6-8 miles offshore, under way, and up to 15 miles at anchor connections are routine...

L8R

Skip, sorry to divert/distract the thread... There's a good discussion elsewhere on these forums about WiFi; can't say about sound systems...
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:03   #97

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Quote:
Originally Posted by skipgundlach View Post
Furthermore, Bob (the original poster above, noted only because it's so far down the tree from here) builds 12V house supply computers which come with a 19.2V brick for when you want to take it to shore, as I do every time we hit land for a visit with kids/grandkids. From the above you can properly infer that I have one of his creations on the boat.

I used to build desktops from boards and frames, so I'm not afraid of doing it. However, given his customer support, including me when I wasn't even a customer and trying to solve a nasty WiFi problem (he got it to work when even those using the identical gear couldn't, all over emails), there was no way I was going to try to build my own when he'd supply a plug-and-play.

Further, given the above, you can see that his PS inside is quite happy with boat power at least as far up as 19.2V, an unlikely event on 12V systems. Further, he'll build in a filtered 12V out for things like HDs (I have 4 external HDs), routers, screens and the like, if you ask, along with every conceivable bell and whistle you might need (I have hdmi, dvi, vga, firewire, 8USB, 5RS232, 12V filtered out, 2 ethernet, parallel, sound in/out/mike, DVDburn, and prolly a few other features I've forgotten, all with XP if you prefer) or other goodies you might want.

I have mine mounted under a shelf, with only a couple inches of the 12" square, 2.5" tall box sticking out under my VESA mounted monitor (which I remove from the bulkhead and put back on the stand, on a shelf, when we watch movies). We connect sound out to our sound system, which means great sound when watching movies (Bose speakers beat the pants off any TV-mounted speakers!)...
Pix of my installation:

First is what I see at my nav station, second is my computer and HDs (and other gear all driven from it), under the shelf, and the last a look t the back end of the computer...

L8R

Skip
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P7200676.JPG
Views:	377
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	22686   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7200658.JPG
Views:	371
Size:	108.8 KB
ID:	22687  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P7200659.JPG
Views:	396
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	22688  
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:27   #98

Boat: Örnvik 520DC
Send a message via Skype™ to Peep
Hi,

I found in market Asus Eee Top PC, only problem that Input is 19V DC.
I think it good for navigation with OpenCPN? Also touch screen is good
More info: === Eee Top ===
Peep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:16   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peep View Post
Hi,

I found in market Asus Eee Top PC, only problem that Input is 19V DC.
I think it good for navigation with OpenCPN? Also touch screen is good
More info: === Eee Top ===
12V to 19V converters are no problem. I bought one for my DELL ATG.
ktcanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 02:03   #100

Re: 12vdc Marine Computers

This isn't a very well organized list yet.. but here are some monitors I've found:

Monitors
Aleutia 12V 20″ Ultra Slim LED Display - 12V Monitor | Aleutia <- has an attached base module (minus)
ViewEra v172BN - 17" 40W - ViewEra.com - $240
ViewErav151HV - 15" 25W - ViewEra.com - $220
Mag Innovision - 22" 36W GML2226 21.5 -
Vizio M220va-w - 22" 28W - http://www.vizio.com/led-lcd-hdtvs/m220va-w.html - $299
Samsung EX2220X 21" 22 SAMSUNG Samsung EX2220X 21.5-inch Widescreen Black LCD Monitor with LED Backlight : Monitors | Dell - $180

Touchscreen
MiMo Monitors Mimo Monitors - Welcome <-- USB powered and touchscreen, but small (max 10")
ELO Touchsystems 1919L 19" 19W - 1919L 19" Desktop Touchmonitor - Elo TouchSystems - Tyco Electronics - $650

Not VESA
LG E2240V-PN - 22" 23W LG E2240V-PN LCD Monitors - 22&rdquo; 1080p LED Backlit LCD Monitor (21.5&rdquo; diagonal) - LG Electronics US - $240

Expensive:
SAMSUNG 22 inches Grade A Industrial LCD Widescreen Monitor - Bright LCD optional Quad Monitor LCDR8U22-03
8U Rackmount 19" Samsung TFT LCD Monitor - LCDR8U19-04 Sun Readable Rackmount LCD Monitor Panel
Old 17-03-2011, 02:37   #101

The Samsung and the Vizio aren't DC. Ignore those
Old 17-03-2011, 03:12   #102

Boat: Norseman 447

have a look at these, USB powered touch screen monitors
SD-OMEGA USB Monitor
Nauticatarcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 06:41   #103
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Daylight viewable monitor

Panasonic CF-VDL02

Somewhere I saw a recommendation for these, probably earlier in this thread. Bought one on eBay for $40. I think they are surplus from some Toughbook model.

They have a standard female 15 pin VGA input so can use a standard cord to any laptop or video card with standard VGA output. Power supposed to be 15.6 V 3.85 Amp but I hooked up to a 12V source and worked fine except would not go to the max brightness setting.

Have not set it up on the boat but connected it in direct sunlight at home and it was completely visible. First monitor I've found (except for some $1000 and up models) that I could really read outside.

It is NOT waterproof but I plan to set it up under the dodger and long term maybe make a cover for it.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2011, 13:16   #104

Here is a list of options for 12V and 19V PCs. The 19V list isn't really complete I just threw machines in that list I discovered it as I realized at some point I "could" run a 19V machine using a DC-DC Regulator. Of note MANY (if not all?) Asus Nettops are running on 19V

For machines not really meant to be directly from batteries (or if you love a 19V machine) you should consider a Carnetix DC-DC regulator: DC-DC Regulators for CarPC automotive computers They have models which can pump two or outputs so you can power PC, Monitor and USB off the regulator.

The W and A are from the specs. They may not always mean the power consumption they may be the specs of the AC to DC converter the box ships with. You should click the links, find the users manuals, etc and verify on your own.

I am leaning toward an Aleutia or a Habey...

12V Ideas:

19V Ideas:

Whew.... ;-)
Old 04-04-2011, 14:13   #105

Boat: Endeavour TrawlerCat 36 - My Bluegill Heaven
tips for vibration resistance

i run 2 purpose built (mini-ITX boards, Atom CPUs) computers - one dedicated to nav and one for AIS/media player/fun.

A couple times I've had a connector vibrate loose and cause havoc till I could isolate it and plug back in firmly.

so i took a small glue gun, and used it to secure each main board header and connector. nary a problem sice doing that!
BluegillBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v computers, marine computers