Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2010, 11:18   #46
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Tobago 35 [sold]
Quote:
Originally Posted by raisin56 View Post
I'd go with the Vizio RazorLED 22" LCD 1080p HDTV. It too uses a wall wart to supply 12 volts to the TV. With both HDMI and computer inputs, a VESA wall mount, 1080p native and only 28 watt power draw. Now I have a navigation monitor and a TV at anchor.

Dan

Can you post the model # on this unit? The ones I see want 19V...

Mark
kiltym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 16:11   #47

Boat: Pursuit 2200 22'
OpenCPN with Beagleboard and Lilliput Transflective Display

Hi all, after trying out OpenCPN on my laptop, I decided to put together a boat computer system using a low power Beagleboard.

My system consists of:
1) A BeagleBoard C4 revision running Ubuntu Linux 9.04, running an OMAP processor at 720 MHz.

2) A 12 W wide input 5 Vdc power supply, utilizing a Max1626.

3) A usb hub with the following components:
ddclapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 17:48   #48
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddclapp View Post
Hi all, after trying out OpenCPN on my laptop, I decided to put together a boat computer system using a low power Beagleboard.

My system consists of:
1) A BeagleBoard C4 revision running Ubuntu Linux 9.04, running an OMAP processor at 720 MHz.

Woops. You must have hit "Submit Reply" before you finished.

I want to hear it all.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 07:04   #49

BeagleBoard OpenCPN system

Yes, sorry about that I got side tracked - darn kids!

Here I go again:

Goals for the system are to have a low power system for monitoring engine components and chart plotting, be able to view in bright sunlight, fast booting, weather proof if possible, ability to run overnight for anchor monitoring without draining my battery.

I targeting this for use on a 22' boat, not a huge cruiser.

My system consists of:

a) USB touchscreen input
b) USB to serial for GPS input
c) USB Flash stick for Charts
d) Mouse input, which I hope to replace with a, above after I get a driver going.

4) A Lilliput Touchscreent 7" Transflective Screen 669GL (modified by a third party) for sunlight viewing. This is a great little display.

Currently I am running at for the computer, .3 amps at 12 volts (~ 4 W) but hope to get this down to closer to two or 2.5 watts, by eliminating the USB hub. The Touchscreen spec is for 7W @ 12 V input but I think this varies quite a bit with the brightness of the screen.

It took me a while get things compiled but got out for a couple of sea trials. My issues still are to get the touchscreen working, and somehow make the display more water tight.

If anyone wants more info, let me know. I can try and create a package for the build, but I am new at this linux development so it might take me some time.

Dan
Old 05-10-2010, 08:12   #50
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Dan,

Thanks for the info.

Did you choose the C4 for a particular reason? What do you think of using the xM? $30 more, but 1Ghz and more I/O options. BUT, brand new, so maybe not as much support? I am asking from ignorance as I was not familiar with these until your post.

I will not be ready to build a nav computer for quite a while, but when I do, what you are doing sounds like a great idea. I'll compare it to the other way I am considering which is to use a mini-itx with plug-in 12v PS.

In the end, maybe two? I still need Windows for some things. But maybe by the time I build one, I no longer will.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 08:30   #51

Hi Dan,

I chose the C4 because I had one sitting on my desk, but it has been around for a while and I knew it was quite stable. The only real question as far as processing power (720Mz on C4, 1 gHz on xM), is for the vector graphics. I prefer the raster charts, as I am more used to the traditional charts, but if you are creating the charts for ECNs, then you use more processing power, and the xM might be a better choice. But I would want to base line that before I made a choice. Usually more processing power means more power...

As far as I/O goes, it depends what you are hooking up. The C4 by itself only can supply 100 ma on the USB port, so if you have lots of devices, you need the USB hub. The xM, eliminates this, but if you do not need them, then again you use more power. I think some system design would be appropriate to list all your in and outs and define what ports you really need.

Hope that helps,

Dan
Old 05-10-2010, 08:42   #52

Also, some useful cost summary:

Power Supply - MAX1627 EVAL board, 50 bucks (this was in my spare parts and several years old, but still at good part).

BeagleBoard - 140, digikey

Sunlight capable Lilliput 669GL with touchscreen (make sure you get the transflective version, if using outside cabin) 400.00 USD

Serial to USB - 20.00, but should be able to use the COM1 port on beagleboard and eliminate this.

USB hub - 30 bucks? Also should be able to eliminate this part

OS and Software - free! (of course if your time is not free, then add many hours to get linux going!)
Old 05-10-2010, 08:45   #53

Oh and you will want a 4G SD card (20 bucks), to store charts and OS/Software. or a 2G SD card and use a Flash Stick for charts for easy updating.
Old 05-10-2010, 17:50   #54

Mike,
The recent Pixel Qi announcements have caught my eye as well. I've been waiting (and waiting) for an inexpensive, sunlight-viewable display to mount on the pedestal of my old C&C 33-1. Seems like a USB-powered display (low wattage = low heat = no fans and few, if any vents) should be easy to waterproof.
Touchscreen would be nice. I hope the OpenCPN developers give some more thought to a touchscreen user interface. Inexpensive, sunlight-viewable, low-power, touchscreen displays are coming real soon now. :-)
bobmor99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 14:48   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiltym View Post
Can you post the model # on this unit? The ones I see want 19V...

Mark

Vizio model m220vv
My Sams's Club has them for less that $250.00 right now.

Dan
raisin56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 07:33   #56
Marine Service Provider

Boat: FP Tobago 35 [sold]
Quote:
I'd go with the Vizio RazorLED 22" LCD 1080p HDTV. It too uses a wall wart to supply 12 volts to the TV. With both HDMI and computer inputs, a VESA wall mount, 1080p native and only 28 watt power draw. Now I have a navigation monitor and a TV at anchor.

Dan
Quote:
Vizio model m220vv
My Sams's Club has them for less that $250.00 right now.

Dan
Thanks for the info, but there is no model m220vv, at least not on Vizio's web site. The closest I see is M220nv, did you mean that?

If you did, the back panel (at least the photo in the user manual), shows it as wanting 19V/3.42A.....

I am looking for a ~20" HDTV Back Lit LED TV/Monitor (Monitor should have HDMI input) with low power consumption, and also want to run it off 12V. However, if they TV wont take the normal 11V-15V found on a boat, it would need a DC-DC converter anyway, in which case it doesnt really matter I guess if its 12V or 19V. Either way a converter is needed.

Anyone do something like this?

Mark
kiltym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 15:05   #57

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 331
Quote:
I am looking for a ~20" HDTV Back Lit LED TV/Monitor (Monitor should have HDMI input) with low power consumption, and also want to run it off 12V.
Have a look at car and caravan suppliers, too. As there are also 12V DC they offer a wide choice and mostly the prices aren't that high as in the marine sector ...

Gunther
Old 07-10-2010, 16:18   #58

Quote:
Thanks for the info, but there is no model m220vv, at least not on Vizio's web site. The closest I see is M220nv, did you mean that?

If you did, the back panel (at least the photo in the user manual), shows it as wanting 19V/3.42A.....

I am looking for a ~20" HDTV Back Lit LED TV/Monitor (Monitor should have HDMI input) with low power consumption, and also want to run it off 12V. However, if they TV wont take the normal 11V-15V found on a boat, it would need a DC-DC converter anyway, in which case it doesnt really matter I guess if its 12V or 19V. Either way a converter is needed.

Anyone do something like this?

Mark
Sorry, my bad.
model m220mv not vv
I also pulled up the wrong info page it's rated as 41 watts
but definitely a 12 volt input.
raisin56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:34   #59

Boat: Lagoon 500 51' No Wiki, Teknicraft 58' Three Saints
It seems you are never satisfied with a computer system running on a marine 12v system. You seem always looking for something better. Here is my current configuration on the "No Wiki" of which I am somewhat pleased. It consists of the following:

Computer 1 is a headless fitpc2 with Ubuntu and small Intel SSD drive. Headless means there is no monitor, mouse or keyboard installed. One uses VNC from another computer to access its applications. There are a number advantages to this configuration:

* Low power 12v 8 watts.
* Low memory requirements.
* High speed remote access with VNC. Remote response time is almost the same as local.
* Works fine if an attached monitor is turned off. Monitor is only used during software installation.
* No Software Bloat, just install Ubuntu 9.04 i386 server edition selecting only "Open SSH" server software.
* then install only metacity tightvncserver gnome-terminal and of course Opencpn.
* Higher reliability in theory.
* Simple install.
* Does not require the special fitpc2 display drivers.
* Tightvncserver is configured for screen size 1200x900 optimized for using OLPC computers with with VNC remote access. Add 'su <username> -c "/usr/bin/vncserver :20 -geometry 1200x900 -alwaysshared"' to /etc/rc.local

Computer 1 hosts the following applications:

vsftpd - ftp server that I use for security camera image forwarding.
gpsd - gps server
opencpn - chart plotter
cgpxlogger - gps track logger

BU-353: GlobalSat BU-353 Waterproof USB GPS Receiver (SiRF Star III) gps. 5v < 1 watt. This unit may not be suitable for a fast boat. Further testing needs to be completed. It seems ok at sailing speeds however. On my fast boat, I seem to be ahead of the opencpn displayed position, sometimes by a good distance.

An OLPC computer comes standard with VNC install and works out of the box. Day light readable in full sun light is the biggest plus. Unfortunately it is not tolerant of salt spray. It is not capable of running Opencpn but is very capable of using VNC in full screen mode to control Opencpn on another computer. 12v 5 watts.

Computer 2 is a fitpc2 Ubuntu computer 12v 8 watts with a Intel SSD drive and a Samsung px2370 Monitor. It has fitpc2 display drivers installed.

Samsung lx2370 or px2370 led back lit monitor for $299 at Best Buy. This monitor works great in a bright solon on a sunny day. 12v 36 watts. I wish they made a smaller screen model as is hard to find a place to put such a large 23" monitor.

Linksys WRT54GL wireless router/switch with dd-wrt third party software. 12v < 12 watts.

I use two v-infinity VCD30-D12-S12-T 12v to 12v 30watt dc to dc converters for all 12v computer equipment except the monitor. They can be purchased from Digikey.

For the led backlit Samsung monitor I use a 12v dc to 12v dc Weiduller CP DCDC 50W 12V 3A. They can also be purchased from Digikey.

The dc to dc power converters clean up the battery power and insure this equipment runs trouble free on a 12v marine system and they are well worth the expense.

Icom MX5000 AIS receiver with built in antenna spitter. 12v 3 watts. Works well with Opencpn.

I have been relatively happy with this setup. Low power and multiple computers for backup. Many mobile devices now days have VNC capability and can access Opencpn wireless and I am continuously looking for the perfect VLC compatible touch screen, waterproof and low power, wireless device, so far without sucess.

Hope this is of some value.
nowiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 07:42   #60

Boat: Amel Sharki
Always nice to profit and learn from the experience of others, thank you for the report.
Any pros and cons about an iPad to use as an OpenCPN client via VNC and WiFi? Before I buy one at this high price any suggestions are welcome. Is it possible to make it waterproof?
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v computers, marine computers