Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-05-2016, 15:11   #511

Re: 12vdc Marine Computers

I am using the navionics app on my phone at the moment for my maps hear on the central coast of Australia and want a larger screen. What tablets are you using? I'm looking at spending around A$300 for one and would like to run open cpn with a is if possible and the lowrance app as well. Any recommendations on tablets? Thanks for your response
Norton79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2016, 15:21   #512

I'm looking for mapping and a is to start with. I want a tablet I can have the lowrance app running on with open cpn as my plotter with a is data as well. I have around A$300 to spend on a tablet and will need a tv tuner for a is and a case. What are your recommendations for a tablet. I fish in and off shore alone the central coast of n.s.w Australia and currently use the navionics app for plotting way points. Would also run the app on new tablet till open con is running the same. Thanks
Sorry for the double post.
Old 24-05-2016, 15:31   #513

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Norton, have you tried the TV tuner AIS setup?
I have one in my office to cover a corner of the Gulf Harbour Marina that is normally shadowed from the "real" receivers. I would NEVER use one of these at sea for collision avoidance - they are simply not reliable enough, in my experience. The range is limited (but a better antenna than mine would likely help!) and the stability is questionable to say the least.
My advice would be to get a real AIS - and a Transponder. Every receiver install I know of the owners now say "I should have bought a transponder".
Your call, of course.
Old 25-05-2016, 02:16   #514

Boat: Westerly Oceandream, 35-feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton79 View Post
Hi all.
Its been a while since I've read this post and would like a little advice. I'm thi.king of getting a tablet to run some nav app's on and open con looks really good. Has anyone got it running on an Android tablet? And if so have they got a is data working as well? Thanks all
I bought a cheap ($75) Chinese tablet with built-in GPS running android. OpenCPN runs fine on it and it is very low power. The display is not bright enough to use in daylight but it makes a good back up system. Still undecided how I like android. I usually run Ubuntu Linux.
Subtandard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 19:41   #515

i like anything with windows 7 or 10 on it. Most of the cheap netbooks tablets need more ram so make sure the one you buy can be expanded. I have a six year old gateway with an intell atomN450 that i bumped up to 2gig ram and its is great. Its a 10.1 inch lcd/led el cheapo but thats what i want for the boats. Broke the screen and it cost me $48 bucks for a new one i installed myself in five minutes. I use opencpn and also use it for national geo and wildflower land mapping charts without issues now that it has more ram
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2016, 19:48   #516

I only fish outside on good days and between Sun up and down so was thinking of giving the tv tuner aid a go on the tablet. Will have it connected to one of the 8 foot aerials. I have a und and vhf and was going to use one for a is while trailing it as I don't need a is yet. Thanks
Old 25-05-2016, 21:59   #517

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/...aspberry-pi-3/
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 11:01   #518
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Since we work from home (the boat) we have two computers for work -- one is a small form factor (SFF) Shuttle, the other an inexpensive notebook running Windows 8.1. Those aren't the boat computers though.

For the boat we use a 5V (usb voltage power is 5V) Raspberry Pi (this is the particular one we've got) and we use a HDMI monitor with it, wireless mouse and keyboard, and an external hard drive (Passport) with all our boating related reference materials, etc. Works great. It has OpenCPN on it and we run all the NMEA0183 sentences into it from an Airmar PB100 weather station (or is it 150? hum...), DST, and so forth. Like it loads but had to get a nice (12V in 5V out) power supply for it, the HDMI monitor, hard drive and all the other 5V things. Right now, the kind of HDMI monitor we have is no longer available at a good price. We hope that changes soon.

We do have a B&G 4G radar and display/chart plotter that can via wireless use a tablet or iPad to display and control the radar and plotter. We have not bothered to hook it up to one though. It's not necessary. At some point, we'll do it just because we can--and if we didn't already have the Pi set up we might have already done the tablet to B&G set up. We do use the B&G chart plotter more so than the Pi if we have the radar on. If we aren't using the radar, we have the OpenCPN going on the Pi.

We're also old school sailing folks who preferentially use a paper log book (rather than computer) and paper charts in the cockpit at all times (in a SealLine waterproof map case like the one I discuss in this blog post)
Old 05-06-2016, 15:27   #519

There's a company in England ( london chart plotters ) the guy refurbs Panasonic tough books that have been used by the military .
He then loads them with hundreds of sailing books.
Full charts for the world ( I presume open cps ) and also provides you with a gps locator .
They are very cheap and I know he sends them to the states .
Besides that this guy never sleeps ( it seems ) so if it ever plays up he'll be at the end of the phone or email too .
Sorry I can't remember his name . But I bought one as a present years ago for my sailing buddy in the keys and it's still going strong .
woodyapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2016, 12:46   #520

Boat: Pedalo ,2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton79 View Post
I'm looking for mapping and a is to start with. I want a tablet I can have the lowrance app running on with open cpn as my plotter with a is data as well. I have around A$300 to spend on a tablet and will need a tv tuner for a is and a case. What are your recommendations for a tablet. I fish in and off shore alone the central coast of n.s.w Australia and currently use the navionics app for plotting way points. Would also run the app on new tablet till open con is running the same. Thanks
Sorry for the double post.
You can get an Asus T100 Transformer for +/- US$ 100 ( may be AU$150 )
- "real" windows 10 pc so you can run all the desktop application.
- Integrated GPS
- SD Expandable Memory
- USB
- HDMI
- WiFi , Bluetooth
cheap so you can have a 2nd as back-up
Make sure you get the Z3740 Quad Core
el31415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2016, 06:35   #521

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by el31415 View Post
You can get an Asus T100 Transformer for +/- US$ 100 ( may be AU$150 )
- "real" windows 10 pc so you can run all the desktop application.
- Integrated GPS
- SD Expandable Memory
- USB
- HDMI
- WiFi , Bluetooth
cheap so you can have a 2nd as back-up
Make sure you get the Z3740 Quad Core
I've used ASUS T100 and T200. Both are pretty good tablets. My T100 didn't have onboard GPS... Maybe they do today. The onboard GPS on the T200 didn't play well with OpenCPN and I've been using the USB GlobalSAT dongle.
jkindredpdx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 06:50   #522

RPI boards

Better accuracy, for you RPI genius.

Two boards

Reach - High accuracy L1 RTK GNSS
https://emlid.com/reach/
RTKLIB is an amazingly powerful open-source software written by Tomoji Tokasu for RTK and postprocessing. Algorithms used to determine accurate position are computational intensive and RTKLIB was mostly used on PCs and laptops. We have created a tiny, yet very powerful module that runs RTKLIB and locates your position with centimeter precision.

9DOF IMU Knowing precise position is not always enough, Reach packs an inertial measurement unit with 3-axis gyroscope, 3-axis accelerometer and 3-axis magnetometer. This opens new possibilities for orientation estimation and for fusion with GPS data. In the future we will be able to improve positioning accuracy using the IMU.

NAVIO2 - Linux autopilot on Raspberry Pi
https://emlid.com/navio/
Navio runs well proven Ardupilot flight stack and can operate in different flight modes including manual, stabilize, follow-me and auto. Code is executed directly on Raspberry Pi with real-time Linux kernel

https://docs.emlid.com/navio/Navio-A...-raspberry-pi/
Old 27-01-2017, 07:05   #523
Marine Service Provider

Re: RPI boards

I bought both for more than a year ago, and yes this items works well with opencpn/openplotter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post

Two boards

RTKLIB is an amazingly powerful open-source software written by Tomoji Tokasu for RTK and postprocessing. Algorithms used to determine accurate position are computational intensive and RTKLIB was mostly used on PCs and laptops. We have created a tiny, yet very powerful module that runs RTKLIB and locates your position with centimeter precision.

9DOF IMU Knowing precise position is not always enough, Reach packs an inertial measurement unit with 3-axis gyroscope, 3-axis accelerometer and 3-axis magnetometer. This opens new possibilities for orientation estimation and for fusion with GPS data. In the future we will be able to improve positioning accuracy using the IMU.

Navio runs well proven Ardupilot flight stack and can operate in different flight modes including manual, stabilize, follow-me and auto. Code is executed directly on Raspberry Pi with real-time Linux kernel

petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2017, 07:11   #524

Perhaps, I saw a post of yours somewhere else?
Do you have any details or description of your installation and how well it works?
We could make a page in the Supplementary Hardware or Software section for others?
Old 28-01-2017, 10:29   #525
Marine Service Provider

Re: RPI boards

See this post: https://community.emlid.com/t/meet-r...-receiver/4906

You will get sub centimetre position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgleason View Post

Two boards

petter5 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v computers, marine computers