Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2013, 21:36   #316

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'
I'm basic on electrical stuff, so asked an engineer at work. His recommendation was get a dc dc convertor specifically matched to your device requirements and leave the battery in as a buffer.
Old 18-11-2013, 22:07   #317

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)
Re: 12vdc Marine Computers

The lithium batteries used in laptops should not trickle charge, they stop taking in charge when full, so keeping the battery in should not draw more current once charged.
I'd think you want to charge up the battery as a backup anyway.

I've had laptops that require 18v to operate, would not work on 12v.
Old 18-11-2013, 22:38   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
The lithium batteries used in laptops should not trickle charge, they stop taking in charge when full, so keeping the battery in should not draw more current once charged.

From own experience I've seen the drop in usage as soon as I pulled out the battery. Even if it was fully charged. Given the time I can use my laptop by only using the battery, the battery itself is in good state.
George64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 04:08   #319
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by George64 View Post
From own experience I've seen the drop in usage as soon as I pulled out the battery. Even if it was fully charged. Given the time I can use my laptop by only using the battery, the battery itself is in good state.
How old is the laptop and which brand? Like said, the charge controller chip that is part of the battery itself, stops charge when full. Maybe that chip is dead.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 04:28   #320
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

I've never come across a ham radio that doesn't run directly off 12vdc.

I think finding a DC-DC converter that can handle 30 amps would be a bit of a challenge.
I've used this companies products and find then well priced and effective
http://www.alfatronix.eu

Dave
Old 19-11-2013, 04:45   #321

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

The T60 laptop I have uses 18V. The 12V car style inverter plug changes that up to 18V. I've found that if the car adapter fails it can be connected directly to a solar panel in emergencies, but the battery only gets to about 60% charged.

With an SSD boot drive and a 300Gb HDD I'm using 32 watts which I'm happy about for now, particularly since these laptops go for about $150 on eBay.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 04:46   #322

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
How old is the laptop and which brand? Like said, the charge controller chip that is part of the battery itself, stops charge when full. Maybe that chip is dead.
Its a Lenovo T510 and appr. 1.5jr old.
George64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2013, 14:20   #323

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post

Yea, BTW... I have to apologize for mistyping earlier that I was running my netbook off 12v. It runs off a DC12v/DC19v converter, with the converter wired to a breaker on 12v distribution panel.

In computer rooms we run through UPS to even out dirty power, seems a notebook battery provides that function. I had an old laptop where the AC/DC converter plug went into the battery...I too am surprised a battery would increase the average draw unless there is something wrong.

I can understand wanting to reduce consumption, but I wouldn't bypass protection and risk damaging my equipment.
Old 20-11-2013, 19:20   #324

Boat: Roberts 38 offshore

I use a computer for 4Wdrive cars 12 volt - computer in the boot, when you start the car computer start, use it with a USB driven screen all up 2 amp. At the same time I use a SD hard drive for less trouble or brake down all from porares.com.au except from screen.
Old 02-12-2013, 04:54   #325

Boat: None at the moment

Wow, this thread has a lot of great information on it and I'm working my way through it, but there's a lot to sift through. I started another thread here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f134/advice-on-my-hardware-choices-116380.html
about what I'm thinking hardware wise, and I was told I should trying linking to it from this thread. So if anyone wants to go check out my ideas and give me some feedback that'd be awesome!
Toubab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 12:24   #326

Boat: Westerly Sealord

I'm just in the process of upgrading mine.. my old Via puter must be about 6yo now and I wouldn't want it to go TU on the long sea voyage currently in prospect .

What I have just ordered is one of these E-ITX - VIA ARTiGO A1200 Dual Core Compact Fanless System with Advanced Heatpipe Design
An interesting feature is that they have a couple of serial ports which may be handy for some people.

I'll pick up another one of these to run it DCDC-USB-200, Intelligent DC-DC converter with USB interface
Theoretically it could run directly off the ship's supply but that can vary between 11.x and 14.x volts so the is just used to regulate the supply.

I've just been looking at those Victron and Mastervolt high amperage units... maybe I'm missing something but they all seem to be 24vDC - 12vDC units.
Old 05-12-2013, 16:00   #327
CPO

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 35

I’ve been searching, reading and thinking about a computer based navigation system to replace the current Raymarine chartplotter I have. I haven’t found exactly what I’m looking for in my search so far. So I decided to just list my criteria and see if anyone has a list of equipment/configuration already available. In a perfect world, I’m looking for a turnkey solution. Hopefully, someone has already invented this wheel. I’m also sure that there are others who are interested in this or a similar system.
  • Touchscreen (17 in or so) displaying chartplotter (opencpn), ais, and radar information at chart table. Radar can be left off the wish list if not feasible.
  • Weatherproof touchscreen (12in) displaying the same information at helm station. Helm station would also have separate wind, speed, depth and autohelm displays, but not integrated nor required to be addressed here.
  • Both touchscreens would be able to manipulate the displays. Connected either through Bluetooth or USB to the cpu. Both would be able to operate independent of one another (one screen displaying navigation information and the other showing a movie).
Some other information….I’m not technically expert, nor entirely clueless. I would want system compatibility, upgradeable – both hardware and software (I don’t care if its windows or unix based), powerful enough to also handle dvds and internet apps (streaming video, email, office apps, internet). I am looking for off the shelf equipment that’s plug and play and a roadmap on how to connect and configure this system.
I’ve seen similar systems described in other posts, but they have been entirely too technical for me. I don’t want to build a cpu, solder anything, take anything apart or build anything. Plug and play. Power consumption isn’t an issue. Price is….less expensive is better. Quality and reliability are required. Thanks in advance to all who respond.
CPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:53   #328

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

Intel Broadwell 14nm Core M TCP 4.5w for 9mm Fanless Tablets and 2 in 1 etc. Intels run at ARM based chips for Tablets, Apple etc. Also faster than Intel Harpswell chips.

Intel launches 4.5W Core M "Broadwell" chips for fanless tablets and convertibles - Liliputing

AnandTech | Quick Look at Core M 5Y70 and Llama Mountain

AnandTech | Intel’s Core M Strategy: CPU Specifications for 9mm Fanless Tablets and 2-in-1 Devices

Intel unwraps Core M chip that lets PCs run sans fans - CNET

All at what cost? ...will the screens become more sunlight readable? ..hardwire ethernet connection for the radar? ..inegral GPS sensor or enough USB ports for Nema and GPS?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 12:57   #329

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPO View Post
I’ve been searching, reading and thinking about a computer based navigation system to replace the current Raymarine chartplotter I have. I haven’t found exactly what I’m looking for in my search so far. So I decided to just list my criteria and see if anyone has a list of equipment/configuration already available. In a perfect world, I’m looking for a turnkey solution. Hopefully, someone has already invented this wheel. I’m also sure that there are others who are interested in this or a similar system.
  • Touchscreen (17 in or so) displaying chartplotter (opencpn), ais, and radar information at chart table. Radar can be left off the wish list if not feasible.
  • Weatherproof touchscreen (12in) displaying the same information at helm station. Helm station would also have separate wind, speed, depth and autohelm displays, but not integrated nor required to be addressed here.
  • Both touchscreens would be able to manipulate the displays. Connected either through Bluetooth or USB to the cpu. Both would be able to operate independent of one another (one screen displaying navigation information and the other showing a movie).
Some other information….I’m not technically expert, nor entirely clueless. I would want system compatibility, upgradeable – both hardware and software (I don’t care if its windows or unix based), powerful enough to also handle dvds and internet apps (streaming video, email, office apps, internet). I am looking for off the shelf equipment that’s plug and play and a roadmap on how to connect and configure this system.
I’ve seen similar systems described in other posts, but they have been entirely too technical for me. I don’t want to build a cpu, solder anything, take anything apart or build anything. Plug and play. Power consumption isn’t an issue. Price is….less expensive is better. Quality and reliability are required. Thanks in advance to all who respond.
have you tried opencpn Index of / ? This free software uses free noaa charts and interfaces to ais, radar and runs on any laptop netbook, desktop or sell phone. I'm considering buying a military spec monitor for a display on my boat run by a lap top with radar, fishfinder, ais, gps. Oh, I believe auto pilot can be run on opencpn as well.
I agree marine electronics companies are pricing their boxes way way to high and then making them obsolete after one year. Thank God for opencpn they have saved me a bundle. For a couple of years now I have been running opencpn on my netbook and I've come to rely upon it more than my lowrance chart plotter cause I never get to the end of a chart. With open cpn I download the charts to the netbook and opencpn opens them as they are needed. No more do I find myself operating off the chart like in the past when I relied upon lowrance, hummingbird. Navioncs uses the same noaa charts to make their charts from that you get free off the internet. Trouble is none of the companies that make chartplotters will allow you to run any charts but there own.
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 14:43   #330

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I have recently looked at ready made "Waterproof Sunlight Readable" (marine) monitors 10.5" and they generally cost just under the outrageous prices for Multifunction displays. When you add their "Fanless Mini PC Boxes" (generally with older slower, less power adaptive cpus) to the equation you have a setup that equals Simrad, Furuno and Raymarine costs for similar functionality. ...So this is not the route to go.

For our setup:
There appear to be two options:

A. CPU below receiving Seatalk/Nmea, GPS, AIS, Radar, etc. Wifi with Teamviewer to Tablet at helm.

B. CPU below receiving Seatalk/Nmea, GPS, AIS, Radar, etc. VGA or HDMI cable to small display on swing out arm. Perhaps Teamviewer + wi/fi for Tablets.

It does not appear to me to be possible to have a Tablet that will provide all the connections required. So the first priority is to figure out a mini box CPU that will be adequate for this marine task, but not overkill.
  1. If the unit is in a cabinet, protected from outside, is it necessary to have it "fanless" and sealed?
  2. Are there ways to filter or protect the unit from salty air that are not costly? In $ or space?
  3. Could it just be fanless, with some natural air flow?
  4. Are there small tube heat pipes available that can be added at little cost?
  5. Will salt air soon destroy it?
  6. If the Mini Box were inexpensive and would last 3-5 years, it could be replaced latter with an upgrade in performance.
  7. Just get an off the shelf mini box and install in a cabinet and see how it does.
Finding an inexpensive suitable Monitor 8" - 12"
1. What are the real minimum specs needed for viewing?
Nit: 800- 1000?
Contrast: 3-4?
2. Can a Dodger + an adjustable glare shield on top and sides help?
3. Some of the sunlight readable manufacturers have:
  • Layers of glass and components that capture the light and use it to increase brightness.
  • Software that senses light changes on the screen and adjust.
  • Can a user recreate some of this?
rgleason is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v computers, marine computers