Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-10-2013, 05:46   #271

Boat: Cornado 25
Re: 12vdc Marine Computers

Leaving is good..... Running opencpn in Win is a good start, you can certainly transfer your charts and routes over to Nx later.

As to the Sandisk problems. There has been a lot of folks with similar problems with 64gig sandisk sticks and windows 64 bit. First possible issue is make sure you are plugged into a usb3.0 port. 2.0 port "should" work, but depending on configuration, sometimes not so much. Second possible issue is if you have Samsung Kies or Sony Play Memories software installed, it can also cause issues as you have described. Uninstall or disable said software and try.

My solution would be to pickup a cheap 4gb stick at Wallyworld or the like, install the iso and use it to boot into nx. On the desktop, you will find an icon for " Make a copy for a friend" Use this to set up your 64gb stick? Linux is much more flexible as to formating, file systems, and drives than Win.

Good luck on the voyage and stay in toucb
Old 12-11-2013, 09:36   #272
GDD

Hi All

This is a great thread!

I"ve looked through all the past posts quickly, and did not notice an idea I had already being discussed. Maybe this is new...

But what about running a windows virtual machine on android tablet?

My goal is to run opencpn to view BSB and CM93 charts.

I don't own a tablet, so I haven't tried anything yet.

But this video is the proof of concept

The biggest unknown for me is how to get GPS serial data to the version of OPenCPn on the virtual machine.

Has anyone tried anything like this?

G.
GDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 09:57   #273

Boat: 1981 Bristol 32 Sloop

I know with virtual box the ports and share directories as well as the mouse and cut and paste between the host and the virtual machine are very useful, also disk drives and carom sharing. If citric supports these functions it should be possible. Also my wife's Samsung notebook 8 supports ^ has got built in. Would be very interested in any successes using this route. Rick
rgleason is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:07   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDD View Post
Hi All

This is a great thread!

I"ve looked through all the past posts quickly, and did not notice an idea I had already being discussed. Maybe this is new...

But what about running a windows virtual machine on android tablet?

My goal is to run opencpn to view BSB and CM93 charts.

I don't own a tablet, so I haven't tried anything yet.

But this video is the proof of concept

The biggest unknown for me is how to get GPS serial data to the version of OPenCPn on the virtual machine.

Has anyone tried anything like this?

G.
I wish opencpn was available for android.
bfloyd4445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 10:16   #275
GDD

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
I wish opencpn was available for android.

Yes, but a tablet running windows lets you LOTS of other things android can't do on its own yet.

Like run office software we've already paid for, other boat programs etc.

I think its because of all those other functions that we have a forum about low power 'computers'.
GDD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2013, 16:30   #276

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDD View Post
Yes, but a tablet running windows lets you LOTS of other things android can't do on its own yet.

Like run office software we've already paid for, other boat programs etc.

I think its because of all those other functions that we have a forum about low power 'computers'.
No, I have a problem with all the bloatware from the cell phone companies and with windows I can get rid of the crap I like that. I just wish I could use a tablet for a phone as well then I would do away with cell phones. But until then opencpn on my phone would be handy
Old 15-11-2013, 00:42   #277

Maybe a bit off topic. I have a lenovo t510 and noticed that removing the battery reduces the power consumption drastically. Would there be any option to directly connect the 12v to the computer with going convert it to 19v at first?
George64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 11:11   #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by George64 View Post
Maybe a bit off topic. I have a lenovo t510 and noticed that removing the battery reduces the power consumption drastically. Would there be any option to directly connect the 12v to the computer with going convert it to 19v at first?
what is a Lenovo t510? If it is a computer you could plug it into a cigarette lighter type plug. I use three different computers, netbook, laptop, tablet, all I power off one of these plugs when I need to. I have added several plugs in different locations because the other option I see is to use the inverter and then you have the extra draw 0f the inverter which is way more than the netbook alone draws.
Old 15-11-2013, 11:41   #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfloyd4445 View Post
what is a Lenovo t510? If it is a computer you could plug it into a cigarette lighter type plug. I use three different computers, netbook, laptop, tablet, all I power off one of these plugs when I need to. I have added several plugs in different locations because the other option I see is to use the inverter and then you have the extra draw 0f the inverter which is way more than the netbook alone draws.
It's a laptop. Never tried to directly connect it to the 12v. The inverter is using about 2.2Ah, way too much on longer trips.
George64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 12:00   #280

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
It's a laptop. Never tried to directly connect it to the 12v. The inverter is using about 2.2Ah, way too much on longer trips.
I took my AC converter (or you could take your computer) into Radio shack and matched up the plug... cost about $3 for two. I think you want to go through the battery though, cuz it helps smooth the flow and surge protection. I wired directly to my DC panel, but cigarette lighter plug would work fine.
Old 15-11-2013, 12:00   #281

I'll toss 3 more in the mix. These were all part of the first generation tablets & designed to run Windows XP, but also run Windows 7 just fine consuming in the 3-5watt range:

Fujitsu ST5022d (the d being for daylight viewing)
HP-TC110
Motion LE1600

Here are the specs on the Fujitsu. The others are pretty much the same. All these units are readily available in the $100 range, have built in USB, WIFI, BlueTooth, Ethernet, Modems, External monitor ports, and are FULLY functional PC's with good speed:

Quote:
Power usage and battery
Using cat /proc/acpi/processor/CPU0/performance we can read nominal power usage values:
state count: 5
active state: P0
states:
*P0: 1100 MHz, 5000 mW, 10 uS
P1: 1000 MHz, 4600 mW, 10 uS
P2: 900 MHz, 4200 mW, 10 uS
P3: 800 MHz, 3800 mW, 10 uS
P4: 600 MHz, 3000 mW, 10 uS

When in full throttle mode, the Pentium M processor works at 1.1GHz, requiring 5 watts. When in idle mode, the processor speed can be adjusted up to 600 MHz (3 watts only). More information can be found in the directory /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ (if you have the sysfs enabled and mounted on /sys).
Typical computer usage requires 8 to 20 watts, depending on processor state and peripheral usage (for example you can save extra 2 watts if you shut off WiFi card using the external switch located below the Stylistic; CPU fan also requires lots of milliamps).
Let's have a look to the battery information: using head -50 /proc/acpi/battery/CMB1/[is]* we get battery name and current status:
==> /proc/acpi/battery/CMB1/info <==
present: yes
design capacity: 4800 mAh
last full capacity: 4800 mAh
battery technology: rechargeable
design voltage: 10800 mV
design capacity warning: 576 mAh
design capacity low: 49 mAh
capacity granularity 1: 1 mAh
capacity granularity 2: 1 mAh
model number: CP219405-XX / CP219406-XX
serial number: 1
battery type: LION
OEM info: Fujitsu

==> /proc/acpi/battery/CMB1/state <==
present: yes
capacity state: ok
charging state: discharging
present rate: 0 mA
remaining capacity: 4710 mAh
present voltage: 12372 mV

http://www.alfonsomartone.itb.it/stmzir.html
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 12:37   #282

Quote:
then you don't need to use the inverter. Just plug it into your 12v plug. If your boat does not have one go to west marine and buy a marine spec plug and install it your self. I have several, three on my boat in different locations.

WEST MARINE 12V Flush-Mount Receptacles & Plugs at West Marine
Old 15-11-2013, 13:28   #283

Boat: Endeavour TrawlerCat 36 - My Bluegill Heaven

fyi, my Lenovo won't run on 12V - needs the 19 per spec. I got a 12V charger that plugs into a cigarette lighter-type outlet. that works great and without an inverter and the power loss that gives.
BluegillBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-11-2013, 13:33   #284

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiesuede View Post
I'll toss 3 more in the mix. These were all part of the first generation tablets & designed to run Windows XP, but also run Windows 7 just fine consuming in the 3-5watt range...
3-5 watts sounds excellent. I think ~12W draw on my 2yr old Win7 Netbook w/ Celeron 1.4ghz when it's working hard. Gotta admit I usually have WiFi in port, blue tooth if I'm listening to music, and GPS running. But I also have 280Gb drive, 6gig RAM, VM, and a couple OS loaded. Hard drives draw quite a bit.

I like the looks of the new ASUS Transformer Book T100 - Notebooks & Ultrabooks - ASUS. It's running about $360. I couldn't find the watt draw, it's a 1.3ghz Atom, and power supply puts out 10watts.
Old 15-11-2013, 13:33   #285

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluegillBoy View Post
fyi, my Lenovo won't run on 12V - needs the 19 per spec. I got a 12V charger that plugs into a cigarette lighter-type outlet. that works great and without an inverter and the power loss that gives.
the only way to get 19vdc is by converting to a 24vdc system or using an inverter from 12vdc....I'm confused because if you say it works from a cigarette lighter plug which is 12vdc why do you need 19V

Tags
12v computers, marine computers