Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2014, 15:36   #331
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: Wife is Close to Axing Cruising Dreams

You can wait and wait hoping for Mrs Right to come along. Only to find out that her first name is Always. Works the other way round as well of course. Mr Right has the same first name, but his surname then becomes Wrong.

Coops.
Old 16-07-2014, 15:45   #332
CLOD

Boat: none

wonder if all this advise solved the problem

and who "won" - him, her, the boat
Old 16-07-2014, 16:00   #333
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

Well you can't go sailing unless you free the docklines.

Life is long but I am in the camp (in hindsight) that says you have to decide early and make the choice.

The tough reality is that you really "can't" have it all. What you can and can't have varies.

My observation is that any relationship with "control" issues is bedded on a foundation of insecurity.

If anything a relationship should be complimentary not contentious.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 16:22   #334

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryrsh View Post
Got a chuckle out of this... So your stuck in a corn field in "godforsaken Indiana" That amuses me... And be nice to my corn... It bough me a nice boat. And this fall when it's gone from the field I'll be gone to the boat it bought me. So see, when you think of corn as boat bucks it's really not so bad!
Sorry Tryrsh... I look across the road and I don't think boat - I think Monsanto. Warning, what I am about to say will probably piss you off...no bashing intended. When I think Monsanto and GMO, I think about the massive dumps of pesticides making the waters toxic, the soil barren, and mile-long list of negative side effects it has on the rest of the ecosystem. I think about the fact this dinky hole, with a town of 3,000 has 27 oncology docs - coincidence? I don't think boat, and never will. This moves into my next point.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
The reality is, finding a land partner just based on people's personalities and differences is hard enough. Add the notion of living on a boat and the pool of partners is extremely small.
No kidding. Try being *mostly vegan, holistic and socially aware on top of the fact sailing folk are harder to come by! I've come to terms with the fact I am likely going to be single for my remaining days - which brings me to Ann...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
The "womanly" woman who wants solely to caretake her man is pretty rare now. So you guys are stuck with women who have partaken of women's lib, and they don't want to be dictated to.
We have guys looking for ladies who can sail with them... stand their own watch and such. Women who are at least this involved have to have some level of independence... women's lib or not.

Besides, who wants to be told how, when and where they will have fun?
I sure don't.
NorthernSeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 16:27   #335
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:

It's interesting advice to offer, "Just hang out in a marina and prince(ess) charming will be along shortly."

Probably riding on a unicorn...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
You can wait and wait hoping for Mrs Right to come along. Only to find out that her first name is Always. Works the other way round as well of course. Mr Right has the same first name, but his surname then becomes Wrong.

Coops.
And Coops also rides a unicorn
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 16:28   #336

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernSeaWolf View Post
Sorry Tryrsh... I look across the road and I don't think boat - I think Monsanto. Warning, what I am about to say will probably piss you off...no bashing intended. When I think Monsanto and GMO, I think about the massive dumps of pesticides making the waters toxic, the soil barren, and mile-long list of negative side effects it has on the rest of the ecosystem. I think about the fact this dinky hole, with a town of 3,000 has 27 oncology docs - coincidence? I don't think boat, and never will. This moves into my next point.....

No kidding. Try being *mostly vegan, holistic and socially aware on top of the fact sailing folk are harder to come by! I've come to terms with the fact I am likely going to be single for my remaining days - which brings me to Ann...

We have guys looking for ladies who can sail with them... stand their own watch and such. Women who are at least this involved have to have some level of independence... women's lib or not.

I sure don't.
Try being a pescatarian socially responsible guy in the Alberta tar sands. A brutal trip downstream to Fort Chip or Fort Mckay can make you want to move to a GMO cornfield where you can watch your dog run away for two days.
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 16:51   #337
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

I sure don't.
The other, oft unspoken, truth is that most skippers (M & F) already have a boat and they are looking to add a partner - kind of like the last step in the refit, "Gotta add a partner."

For the Skipper this makes complete sense, "Who would not like to join my castle, ready to go, and be my mate."

The relationships already starts with "Ship's Master and Mate" - Now I do think that the right partnership has the roles worked out - but it comes from mutuality not singularity.

No stats at all but I guess the couple that picks, buys, outfits and launches the boat "together" is more successful - until all the "normal" stuff that kills a relationships sets in...
Old 16-07-2014, 17:15   #338

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
Try being a pescatarian socially responsible guy in the Alberta tar sands. A brutal trip downstream to Fort Chip or Fort Mckay can make you want to move to a GMO cornfield where you can watch your dog run away for two days.
Ha! *Almost vegan - IE I am weak, and enjoy a little seafood. How can you be from BC and not eat salmon????

Alberta tar sands doesn't have the 'Murica' factor - it may be a close call as to which sucks more....

Quote:
The other, oft unspoken, truth is that most skippers (M & F) already have a boat and they are looking to add a partner - kind of like the last step in the refit, "Gotta add a partner."....
No stats at all but I guess the couple that picks, buys, outfits and launches the boat "together" is more successful - until all the "normal" stuff that kills a relationships sets in...
These statements probably carry a lot of truth. I don't have a boat yet - so I guess I should be fishing for a guy with a boat?

Nah...

Maybe if 'Mr. Always Wrong' sails in with his unicorn at the helm, I'll let him raft up on occasion.

NorthernSeaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 19:22   #339

Okay here it is. She controls the supply. Can you control the demand? If yes, find other crew. If no, find a shore side hobby.
Sam_Plan_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 20:12   #340
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
These statements probably carry a lot of truth. I don't have a boat yet - so I guess I should be fishing for a guy with a boat?

Nah...

Maybe if 'Mr. Always Wrong' sails in with his unicorn at the helm, I'll let him raft up on occasion.

Maybe it's just me but guys are different - If I found a woman with a boat who was gonna pay the bills and wanted to make me a boat "b!tch" I'd pull the plug immediately.

But I am totally comfortable in my extreme manliness -
Old 16-07-2014, 21:29   #341

Boat: Solar 40ft Cat :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

the OP just disappeared didn't he? I say the wife won, the boat is sold..
Old 16-07-2014, 21:35   #342
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblemotors View Post
the OP just disappeared didn't he? I say the wife won, the boat is sold..
Na....his wife just banned him from facebook, blogs, chat rooms after she stumbled on this thread...heck...half the guys here talking large would have their nuts chopped off if "The Boss" ever found out what they were saying and they know it!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 21:52   #343

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Rich,

You're right, with all the posturing, it's hard to get a feel for how the guys really feel. Sometimes they sound pretty misogynistic to me, but there's no way on earth I can tell if that's how they really feel, or it's just what they want to be seen to express. Tis a puzzlement.

Ann
Old 16-07-2014, 22:02   #344
D&D
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: now skippering Syd Harbour charters

Quote:
No stats at all but I guess the couple that picks, buys, outfits and launches the boat "together" is more successful
We'll stand up as #1 for stats confirming your guess!
D&D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2014, 23:32   #345

Boat: Beneteau 36.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&D View Post
We'll stand up as #1 for stats confirming your guess!
We agree on boats together but it didn't help my cruising dream, which will stay a dream a while longer. My plan is to loop back, buy a gunboat and try again when the kids are out of school. Donations towards this approach welcome.

Meantime I'm sailing several times a week and and making sure that next time the stars align I'm ready. Last time the chance was there the confidence wasn't.

Tags
cruising