Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-05-2014, 15:00   #271
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Posts: 1,273
Re: Wife is Close to Axing Cruising Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
It sounds to me like you and your husband have communicated and figured out best as you can what is right for you. You can find ways to share your dreams and help each other's come true.
As has been hinted at, the problem lies in expectation. Our tradition as human beings is to expect sexual fidelity from our partners.

Although we like to say that our marriage is not "about" sex, the truth is that in most marriages sex is the only non-negotiable element.

However, I think the real reason behind this is fear of loss. We aren't afraid of the SEX with the other person, we're afraid of losing something to that other person in a way that we have no control over. Thus, we attempt to control or prevent the sex in order to control or prevent the possibility of loss.

Anyway, anyone have any idea what happened to the OP, or what this thread was originally about?
__________________

__________________
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 15:02   #272
Registered User
 
Aussiesuede's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC & Seattle, WA
Posts: 641
Re: Wife is Close to Axing Cruising Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovestosail View Post
They just need to get to the place where they realize they are not joined at the hip and like to do some different things. .
Exactly. If my partner didn't desire to travel, then I'd simply ask em:

"Do you prefer 'Scenery' or 'Action' Postcards?
__________________

__________________
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 15:07   #273
Don't ask if you can't handle it
 
sailorboy1's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: On the boat somewhere
Boat: Hunter 410
Posts: 12,312
Re: Wife is Close to Axing Cruising Dreams

calling Dr CF
__________________
jobless, houseless, clueless, living on a boat and cruising around somewhere
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 15:18   #274
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2011
Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Posts: 1,273
Re: Wife is Close to Axing Cruising Dreams

Also, I offer these bit of speculation:

More often than not -
Occasional sexual infidelity is more normal than complete sexual fidelity
Marriages are not broken up as a result of affairs, affairs are the result of a broken marriage
Human sexuality is the single most powerful force in almost every adult's life, overpowering almost all other elemental human forces except that of self-preservation
Nearly every person over the age of 40 has almost certainly had several sexual trists. Those who have not are in a small minority, or possibly in denial
Men and Women are sexual equals, on the whole, though women might be more complex in their handling of their own sexuality
Men are much more emotionally and sexually complex than people think
__________________
ArtM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 15:48   #275
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 10,682
Re: Wife is Close to Axing Cruising Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
The marriage thing is a business! From diamond cartels to dress makers to honeymoon packages... Peer pressure prevents many from prioritizing what they really want in their lives.
It s only a monything when you are already vested in another lifestyle and that is what the marriage business is all about.
Pelagic:

I agree that there exist huge business gains to be made from people who want to benefit from other's lives, and that some people are both open to perceived peer pressure and other sales gimmicks. No one is required or forced to have a large wedding who doesn't want it. And if they give in to something they don't want to do, the whole deal is already compromised!

However, marriage can also simply be a commitment between two people that has a legal aspect which facilitates their lives as cruising sailors. So it has been for us. IMO, it is up to the people to decide between themselves what the exact nature of the commitment is to be, including none. To me, the details of such agreements have little to do with the marketing efforts surrounding marriage, and ought not to be confused.

Ann
__________________
Ann, with Jim, aboard US s/v Insatiable II, in Oz, very long term cruisers
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 15:51   #276
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 1,440
Re: Wife is Close to Axing Cruising Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post

However, marriage can also simply be a commitment between two people that has a legal aspect which facilitates their lives as cruising sailors. So it has been for us. IMO, it is up to the people to decide between themselves what the exact nature of the commitment is to be, including none. To me, the details of such agreements have little to do with the marketing efforts surrounding marriage, and ought not to be confused.

Ann
That's the kind I would encourage people to create.
__________________
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 16:21   #277
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,359
Re: Wife is Close to Axing Cruising Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
marriage can also simply be a commitment between two people
Ann
We honestly thought we'd just do a quickie wedding chapel wedding. But then we realized there were things we wanted to say on that day. We had songs we wanted to sing to each other and then together. Words, we wanted to share. And we wanted three people there to share that moment with us.

It was far more moving to us that we even anticipated. It was a way of expressing the depth of our love. Our commitment. We treasure that day, that time immensely. We look back at the video every anniversary. We went through some real hell to get to that point but we fought through some terrible challenges together and it was a culmination and a day we could say, "We made it." We got here together. If we can beat what we faced, then we can conquer anything together.

It's different things to different people but ours was in no way about money. Ours was less than 10% of what an average wedding costs. 3 guests versus hundreds. Every word carefully chosen form our hearts, no standard ministerial reading from a book. No till death do us part. Not even husband and wife, but instead "partners in life" as we chose to use a term available to all. And rest assured it ended with far more than a simple kiss when pronounced official.

I'm not saying it's the same for others. But at the same time, to the cynics, I am saying that for some of us it is a very special bond and it is something we treasure and we honor.

Maybe because we risked everything to be together, and were willing to risk our lives if it came to that. Thankfully, some wonderful people, in parts of our government that one would never suspect being that way, helped make it possible. Our married life has been so simple and easy compared to what it took to get there.

Again, just to all, find what makes you happy. If it's not marriage that's fine. But don't disparage it for all for to many of us it does work and is special.
__________________
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 16:33   #278
Registered User
 
Stu Jackson's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Cowichan Bay, BC (Maple Bay Marina)
Posts: 6,387
Re: Wife is Close to Axing Cruising Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post

Anyway, anyone have any idea what happened to the OP, or what this thread was originally about?
Nope. Either we scared him off or he took off on his boat!
__________________
Stu Jackson
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, (Maple Bay Marina) SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 16:49   #279
Moderator
 
weavis's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: SEVILLE - MALLORCA
Posts: 10,135
Send a message via Skype™ to weavis
Re: Wife is Close to Axing Cruising Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Nope. Either we scared him off or he took off on his boat!

__________________
- Never test how deep the water is with both feet -
10% of conflicts are due to different opinions. 90% by the tone of voice.
Raise your words, not your voice. It is rain that grows flowers, not thunder.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 17:04   #280
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,359
Re: Wife is Close to Axing Cruising Dreams

I think he's worked things out with his wife and they've figured out a solution for themselves. And they live happily ever after. Now not sure about many of the rest along the way in the thread.
__________________
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 17:32   #281
CF Adviser
 
Pelagic's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Posts: 6,891
Re: Wife is Close to Axing Cruising Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Pelagic:

However, marriage can also simply be a commitment between two people that has a legal aspect which facilitates their lives as cruising sailors. So it has been for us. IMO, it is up to the people to decide between themselves what the exact nature of the commitment is to be, including none. To me, the details of such agreements have little to do with the marketing efforts surrounding marriage, and ought not to be confused.

Ann
Ann, I can tell from your great posts that Jim and you have both developed a relationship full of love, admiration and respect.

That has nothing to do with the "Legality" of marriage... but the strong characters who joined together.

I am sure you have met dysfunctional married couples that make you both cringe.
It is then that same legality that is used as a weapon rather than a convenience.
The high divorce rate implies a 50/50 chance of mutual legal destruction and the strong chance that one our both come out emotionally scarred for life.

I have already protected my loving partner with substantial assetts in case anything happens to me without warning and her long term security after I die has been arranged.
This has been a high priority of mine once I found the right person

I see this as a moral obligation as the breadwinner... Not a legal one and it is more meaningful to me to remain in control of who I am rather than to secede to a romantic/social/religious/legal convention.

We still celebrate our anniversary of finding each other and renew our vows on a regular basis by enjoying our travels together as a couple.
__________________
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 17:47   #282
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 3,157
Re: Wife is Close to Axing Cruising Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
We honestly thought we'd just do a quickie wedding chapel wedding. But then we realized there were things we wanted to say on that day. We had songs we wanted to sing to each other and then together. Words, we wanted to share. And we wanted three people there to share that moment with us.

It was far more moving to us that we even anticipated. It was a way of expressing the depth of our love. Our commitment. We treasure that day, that time immensely. We look back at the video every anniversary. We went through some real hell to get to that point but we fought through some terrible challenges together and it was a culmination and a day we could say, "We made it." We got here together. If we can beat what we faced, then we can conquer anything together.

It's different things to different people but ours was in no way about money. Ours was less than 10% of what an average wedding costs. 3 guests versus hundreds. Every word carefully chosen form our hearts, no standard ministerial reading from a book. No till death do us part. Not even husband and wife, but instead "partners in life" as we chose to use a term available to all. And rest assured it ended with far more than a simple kiss when pronounced official.

I'm not saying it's the same for others. But at the same time, to the cynics, I am saying that for some of us it is a very special bond and it is something we treasure and we honor.

Maybe because we risked everything to be together, and were willing to risk our lives if it came to that. Thankfully, some wonderful people, in parts of our government that one would never suspect being that way, helped make it possible. Our married life has been so simple and easy compared to what it took to get there.

Again, just to all, find what makes you happy. If it's not marriage that's fine. But don't disparage it for all for to many of us it does work and is special.
I wouldn't want to subject anyone else to my horrible singing, but I do like the partners in life vows. I'd love to see that take off and become more of the norm.
__________________
socaldmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 18:13   #283
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Paradise
Boat: Various
Posts: 2,359
Re: Wife is Close to Axing Cruising Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by socaldmax View Post
I wouldn't want to subject anyone else to my horrible singing, but I do like the partners in life vows. I'd love to see that take off and become more of the norm.
Wifey B: Well, we sang the same songs that we sang to each other the night we met. A bit corny I guess but he sang "What are you doing the rest of your life" and I sang, "When I fall in love." Then together we sang, "All My Life." After we had our version of our vows which we couldn't put here even if we wanted to as a bit X rated....can't help that...we sang together, "Close to You" and "Unchained Melody." Then after the pronouncement of being partners in life and married by the laws of the state of Nevada stuff, we sang another verse of "Unchained Melody" but with words we'd written. Not by any means a traditional recessional either but oh well. Lot's of music. It's our second love behind boating, although often the two go together as we carry a keyboard and background tracks on the boat.

No one else reading. No one else singing. Minister got one sentence, "By the power vested in me by the state of Nevada, I now pronounce you Partners in Life".

Not one moment of our life has been conventional, starting with the night we met. Maybe we need Sinatra singing "My Way." Then we also recognize that our way isn't right for others, may not be right for anyone else, isn't that sort of like what our way means.

So, leave you with a couple of words from Mama Cass:
You've gotta make your own kind of music
Sing your own special song
Make your own kind of music
Even if nobody else sings along
__________________
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 18:22   #284
Freelance Delivery Skipper..
 
boatman61's Avatar

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: UK/Portugal
Posts: 20,209
Images: 2
Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Wife is Close to Axing Cruising Dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I think he's worked things out with his wife and they've figured out a solution for themselves. And they live happily ever after. Now not sure about many of the rest along the way in the thread.
Naah... he was just running an anal experiment.. and he got a few.
__________________


Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2014, 18:33   #285
CF Adviser
 
Pelagic's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2007
Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Posts: 6,891
Re: Wife is Close to Axing Cruising Dreams

For many marriages this song comes to mind

".....you may be a lover but you ain't no dancer...."

Helter Skelter - Paul McCartney with Nirvana (The…: http://youtu.be/tyXaRJUvWtM
__________________

__________________
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cruising

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Cruising plans and Dreams of Partnership Possibilities Kookaburra Multihull Sailboats 15 19-04-2012 08:39
How Close to Shore Is Too Close While Hove-to ? oldman66 General Sailing Forum 91 21-10-2011 18:25
The Boat of Cruising Dreams - Ovni ribbony Monohull Sailboats 29 17-09-2009 06:14
Too Close! WAY TOO CLOSE! Anchoring Near Jerks MarkJ Anchoring & Mooring 106 20-05-2009 13:58
The Circumnavigators - A Collection of Cruising Dreams maxingout General Sailing Forum 3 30-05-2008 00:31



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:52.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.