Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2016, 12:28   #61
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Which sealant for Lexan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Have you ever seen the curved plexi windows on a circa 49 Steel Craft. Checked all to hell. Granted it may have improved. I have used it for other applications in R&D but not for UV exposure just nasty chemicals. I have used Lexan for of all things 76 kennel pull up doors. Provided light and never had a 100+ dog run through it but did scratch.

I have no dog in the fight, no pun intended . All I can do is offer an opinion maybe based on experience?

I don't know the windows nor craft you're talking about, but doubt it is plexiglass. Note that Plexyglass is a brand name and this is actually an acrylic. Here is the info:

Q: Should I keep acrylic out of the sun?
A: No, sunlight will not affect your acrylic items. All plastics come from petroleum and natural gas. Sunlight, especially ultraviolet radiation, has a disastrous effect on most plastics. This is why many children’s toys become brittle and crack when left outside. Acrylic is derived from natural gas and is completely inert in its solid form and will NOT yellow in the sunlight.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lexan, sealant