Old 13-06-2015, 18:02   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Which is the Bleed Screw - 2GM20 Fuel Filter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Curious.

Did you ever try new washers or even two washers per bolt?

I will store this snippet of info for furture consideration as I always had the faintest screen of diesel on the bottom of the filter. Not really moist or damp but always returns after awhile no matter how well cleaned off.
Thanks for the heads up.
I've found that the banjo bolt at the inlet to the fuel filter tends to vibrate loose over time. Every few months I have to tighten it a smidgen again.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 18:12   #17
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
I've found that the banjo bolt at the inlet to the fuel filter tends to vibrate loose over time. Every few months I have to tighten it a smidgen again.
Now there's a point!

I use torque seal indicators at work to see if anything has come slightly loose but never thought of that for the boat

New project to do
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 18:18   #18

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser

No trouble since I shortned them!!! & yes I tried all sorts of combinations of washers & thickness even high pressure hydraulic washers. Just put a bolt in the housing & see how much a gap is left for sealing. I used to think it was vibration but now all is good on both engines.
(even tried Glyptol!!)

Bill
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 19:08   #19

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Wow. I never heard of torque seal. I found some on Sky Geek Organic Products F-900 Torque Seal from SkyGeek.com but haven't a clue how to use it effectively. I have been having a persistent air leak in my system, and because the fuel pump/filter/banjos are in such an awkward place, I haven't got to them for inspection, yet. Is the torque seal just used for confirmation of movement, or does it function as a sealant also?
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 19:20   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Wow. I never heard of torque seal. I found some on Sky Geek Organic Products F-900 Torque Seal from SkyGeek.com but haven't a clue how to use it effectively. I have been having a persistent air leak in my system, and because the fuel pump/filter/banjos are in such an awkward place, I haven't got to them for inspection, yet. Is the torque seal just used for confirmation of movement, or does it function as a sealant also?
Instructions say to not put it on threads or you may never be able to remove the bolt. It is just to be used as an indicator.

I'd think nail polish could be used as well.
rgesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 19:31   #21

About to order a torque wrench for my new-to-me Yanmar 3GM30's, and wondering what is the highest torque value I will need so I know what to buy??
rgesner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 19:37   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgesner View Post
About to order a torque wrench for my new-to-me Yanmar 3GM30's, and wondering what is the highest torque value I will need so I know what to buy??
From memory, the highest torque setting was 70-75 foot pounds, 65 for crank nuts and 70 ish for the head bolts.

If you have to ever take the crank out you'll need to fabricate a 6" deep 36mm socket.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 20:25   #23

Boat: Vancouver 27

Mine is also equipped with the slight fuel sheen around the filter. I replaced all the washers so I guess it's time to try a double washer and then the bolt shortening. While I can't say it's been a problem, being curious I usually end up closing the engine bay with a thin film of diesel on my left fingers.
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 02:16   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Most important thing to know is that it is NOT a sealant.

Really just a convenient thick paint in a tube that dries reasonably fast. It is about the consistency of toothpaste and the tip of the squeese tube is say 1/16" in diameter or maybe a bit smaller.

Applied in a stripe along or across the nut, bolt pipe fitting etc.

Can used as an indicator that the fitting has been torqued or as an indicator that the fitting has been loosened or undone at some stage.

Say complex piping is loosely fitted up and hand tightened until everything is nicely aligned. As the fittings are torqued, each operator applies their colour of torque seal. Next shift comes along and can tell right away what work remains to be done.

At a later inspection, a quick visual will tell is something has come loose or has been tampered with (assuming the one doing the tampering hasn't packed his own torque seal .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 14-06-2015, 07:20   #25

Very cool! Now I know why it was referred to as "anti-sabotage" indicator. Thanks folk.
Old 14-06-2015, 07:35   #26

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Well the big one is slightly higher than the small one so using the big one is better in principle!

And easier to use with a socket if you are like me and prefer sockets to screwdrivers!
Either of those top-bolts works (on a 3GM30F)equally well and if you're ever a bit clumsy using a socket on the larger/outboard bolt, you can get the body re-drilled/threaded and make it even bigger
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2015, 15:05   #27

I think I marked mine & found that the tightning to prevent leak indicated the vibration was causing either or both the washers being flattened, the thread in the body changed slightly. Also Yanmar tried a flex line on the input side in later production motors. From memory it is more the problem of the length of the input side. Had the problem for over 10yrs before shorting the bolt & now no leaks at all.

I think the stripping of the bleed screws is caused by trying to fix this problem.
Old 20-06-2015, 00:56   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
OK, just managed to tighten the inlet banjo bolt maybe 20 degrees and the outlet say 10 or 15 degrees. Used "normal" hand force and normal spanner (wrench!).

And then prettied it up some

Let's see how it works out!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fuel Filter - Version 2.JPG
Views:	335
Size:	206.1 KB
ID:	103982  
Old 20-06-2015, 02:20   #29

Last price for one was near $300! Be careful with the wrench work!!
Old 20-06-2015, 07:03   #30

Wotname, thank you for that picture. It clearly describes the use and value of the torque seal, as well as (hopefully) reducing the incidence of an air leak from that one inaccessible spot on my engine. I love CF. By the way, what is the red-painted bolt head below the fuel filter?

Tags
2gm, 2gm20, crew, fuel, fuel filter