Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2013, 08:00   #46
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: What is the best boat to circumnavigate with a two person crew

you people are not very good dreamers!!!!
Old 26-05-2013, 08:14   #47
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
An owner and their partner - that's two. How many crew then?

One thing with the 625 they did make a huge effort to improve the layout over their earlier designs.

BTW Maximum luxury is elsewhere. Oyster is just a middle class dream.
HoekDesign.nl

;-)
;-)
;-)

b.
Nice boats..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 08:57   #48

I would spend as much time picking the "one girl" for a the circumnavigation as the boat. She will have more impact on your voyage than the boat, and is sure to be far more complicated.
mesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 09:43   #49

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

How about a felucca? You'll eventually get there! Mauritz
Attached Images

Teknav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 09:58   #50
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

no reason for me to dream about that which i am already doing.

best boat is whatever you are comfortable sailing. learn to sail first or during trip...might help.

also might help you pick a boat you might actually enjoy sailing instead of something someone said to buy.....go figger...

have fun and smooth sailing.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 10:29   #51

Boat: PETERSON 44
Okay but currently way up on Chester river md usa and this is about as good as it gets. 5 knots in. Narrow creek 2 days since the engine ran and its good sailing plus - for my boat Peterson 44
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 10:35   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
One of the primary factors as to why I'm recommending the Oyster 625 is for Oyster's first rate worldwide customer service and support. Just the other day, I emailed Eloisa at Oyster customer service from the USA and ordered 10 different spare parts from 10 different vendors; she assured me that the package will be waiting for me upon my arrival in Menorca, Spain on Monday. The price was the same, if not cheaper than if I'd hunted down each item myself.

Don't underestimate how important it is to have this kind of support after you buy the boat.
I guess the takeaway there is that things break on all boats, even Oysters, and that most of the components are supplied by the same component makers other boats use.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 14:45   #53
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post

OK. And 'the' is one very important word here.

Design/layout/hardware.

Will you agree?
b.
Yes, you need a modern design which had a short handed crew as one of the design parameters, but Sundeer, Amel, even Oyster all have that. I would not put a Swan in that list (just to illustrate). The problem with Oyster, Contest, Halberg Rassy etc. is that they are not made for a couple to live aboard and sail the boat. The Sundeer and Amel are, so will fit better.

For smaller boats I wonder why nobody mentions new boats; just old old old and tired...

s/v Jedi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 15:16   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
Yes, you need a modern design which had a short handed crew as one of the design parameters, but Sundeer, Amel, even Oyster all have that. I would not put a Swan in that list (just to illustrate). The problem with Oyster, Contest, Halberg Rassy etc. is that they are not made for a couple to live aboard and sail the boat. The Sundeer and Amel are, so will fit better.

For smaller boats I wonder why nobody mentions new boats; just old old old and tired...
i'm in the process of down sizing from 63 ft sundeer type boat to a 37 ft catamaran,both are equally fast,have similar living space,but the cat is about one fifth of the cost to run.....which leaves four fifths more lucre to spend on wine, women and song
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 15:31   #55

So a 37 ft boat is plenty big enough to get by on the ocean? I appreciate people starting to throw boat names out but they appear to be mono makers not cat boats. I'm doing my own research but the manufacturers web sites have boats with fancy glassware and things that would seem to get in the way more then help get across oceans. I know it is just a selling point but im interested in a sailboat not a camper built for water. I swear I saw a sauna on a 50ft St Frances. It was just a pic not on the specs but this is why I'm asking what many have deemed a silly question. Just trying to learn from the folks who have been there. My first boat purchase is most likely going to be a 16ft hobbie cat to learn on the lake......just to show you how "just starting out" I am. I do thank everyone for the advice.
WantoSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 15:44   #56

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

My boat is a Nor'sea 27. It's built strong and built to go anywhere. It's reported that there are 4 of them that have circumnavigated. Once couple I know of went back and forth over the Atlantic between the US and Europe, then went to the Caribbean then through the Pacific to New Caledonia. Then they shipped it to France by barge.

This is my first boat and going to get familiar with it on a local lake. It's a fun boat to work on and soon it'll be in the water to start sailing. I've already been daydreaming of what I would get if I were to go larger and so far, I've been leaning toward a Cape George 38 or 40. I considered getting a larger boat but I saw advice elsewhere that I thought was good saying that for the systems you want on a boat, get a boat that has them but on a smaller scale. That way, you'll have some experience when you upgrade later on without it everything being overwhelming. Then, you'll also have an idea of what costs are later for fixing, maintaining, replacing etc.

Plenty of different boats out there. I did a lot of research for what I wanted and just happened to get one I really wanted at a bit of a stretch of what I originally budgeted but I'm glad I went for it.

Like mentioned already, just do some research and see what works for you.

Good luck to you. Have Fun!
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2013, 16:55   #57

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

To the OP,

There's another thread on the forum, sort of starting at 50' catamarans; you might look at that.

I understand the desire to make the question open ended to gather the greater variety of responses, but without having any idea of how much you want to spend, the contributors to the forum lack guidelines as to where to start. Knowing that you could change your mind at any time, a few guidlines could (a) bring in the catamaran contingent, who are very enthusiastic and (b) make our answers more meaningful to you.

Here's an example to illustrate my point: suppose I suggested to you an aluminum custom built Samoa 47? And you're really lusting after a St. Francis 55? Just how useful would that be....

FWIW.
Old 26-05-2013, 18:24   #58

Aluminium custom built Samoa 47! Now you have me lusting.Wow!
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 08:47   #59

I have researched a little a have come across a Hirondelle 24 MK 1 for what would seem to be a good price. Obviously I'm not going around the world in it but I'm interested in your opinions about using it as my first boat and learning on Lake Erie.
WantoSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2013, 08:57   #60
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantoSail View Post
What would be the best boat to circumnavigate with a two person crew. Not worried about skill level or money or any details other then people's opinions on the hands down best boat to circumnavigate with a two person crew (one guy one girl).
The "best boat" question is more about boater psychology than boat physiology. For the girl on my crew, the best boat was one we bought new and fitting out according to our personal tastes. I was okay with that because it meant she wanted to spend more time on the boat.

The best boat ends up being the one you both want to spend time on.

Tags
crew