Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-04-2014, 17:13   #1
Senior Cruiser
 
s/v Beth's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Posts: 4,066
Walden Boat

I know this has been discussed, but with ever changing technology comes new approaches. Given a boat (like a Falmouth 22) and only one solar panel, could you make a safe boat for ocean cruising?
Only systems aboard would be Nav. lights, VHF (with AIS) Depthfinder. and a 12v plugin.
Cellphone (mine acts as a chartplotter), Sat phone on rechargeable batteries.
Camp stove or rocket stove for cooking and heating (in cockpit) Heat water for warm bed and home inside.
Advantages: Simplicity and economy.
Disadvantages: Truly a camping lifestyle. But if you were on your toes I think you could remain dry, healthy and constantly in new adventures! You wouldn't have a lot for people to steal!
Kinda like these guys!
Building Ganymede from a kit boat-Zartman Cruising

Comments?
__________________

__________________
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 17:41   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
I know this has been discussed, but with ever changing technology comes new approaches. Given a boat (like a Falmouth 22) and only one solar panel, could you make a safe boat for ocean cruising?
Only systems aboard would be Nav. lights, VHF (with AIS) Depthfinder. and a 12v plugin.
Cellphone (mine acts as a chartplotter), Sat phone on rechargeable batteries.
Camp stove or rocket stove for cooking and heating (in cockpit) Heat water for warm bed and home inside.
Advantages: Simplicity and economy.
Disadvantages: Truly a camping lifestyle. But if you were on your toes I think you could remain dry, healthy and constantly in new adventures! You wouldn't have a lot for people to steal!
Kinda like these guys!
Building Ganymede from a kit boat-Zartman Cruising

Comments?
You're just trying to start trouble, aren't you?
__________________

__________________
Tantalus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 17:47   #3
Registered User
 
Rhapsody-NS27's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: VA, boat: Deale, MD
Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Posts: 1,409
Re: Walden Boat

I thought you were describing this guy.

Art Of Hookie | Will work for food or money.

He is certainly living a simple life.
__________________
Daniel - Rhapsody Blog,
“A sailor’s joys are as simple as a child’s.” — Bernard Moitessier
"I don't need therapy, I just need my boat"
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 18:22   #4
Senior Cruiser
 
s/v Beth's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Posts: 4,066
Re: Walden Boat

He has Hookie up for sale, if he hasn't already sold it. He was in Bellingham bay when I was, and I kinda wish that he had managed to keep the boat. Why did he quit? I think he really couldn't attract (keep) chicks with the "simplify" type of attitude.
As I think about it, I don't think many (any) people can just give up our crazy life. When did it become so important not to live well, but to live with everything we possibly can get? As I look at even my own family, materialism rules. It is pretty depressing really.
We have had this discussion before- but how many of us are really listening? How many of us will at some time of our lives, try to live with less?
Now there's a novel thought- how about "around the world on 10 dollars a day!" we could write one of those rare earth books, if DOJ doesn't do it first! After looking at a few blogs of the French in Bangladesh, maybe I would add a personal garden.
__________________
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 19:16   #5
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Custom cutter, 42'
Posts: 378
Re: Walden Boat

Hi Newt,

Nice link to the Zartmans. I enjoyed it.

Sure, of course you could build a small cruiser. And if it suits what you want to do it could be fine. The way I see it, any boat can be safe for ocean cruising if it is strong enough to take what the sea can throw at it, if it has a high enough angle of vanishing stability to guarantee it will always right itself, and it can keep you comfortable enough that you can get enough rest to be able to keep on keeping on.

Personally, I'm very much in favor of simplicity. It has an aesthetic that appeals to me. If I was contemplating this I'd go for simplicity, but a bigger hull. Bigger and simple can make the boat a lot more comfortable and it can really simplify living and working on the boat. When its little you're forever moving things to dig out something. You can't carry all the tools and supplies you'd like so you spend more time making do. You can't carry as much food and water so you need to re-provision more often. Etc. I'd vote for larger, and simple.

Regards, Paul
__________________
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 19:28   #6
Registered User
 
Terra Nova's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Marina del Rey, California
Boat: Freya 39 cutter- Terra Nova
Posts: 3,651
Re: Walden Boat

I know a guy who sailed the south seas in a Flicka 20. But that's not how I want it.
__________________
1st rule of yachting: When a collision is unavoidable, aim for something cheap.
"whatever spare parts you bring, you'll never need"--goboatingnow
"Id rather drown than have computers take over my life."--d design
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 20:09   #7
Registered User
 
oldragbaggers's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Wherever the boat is
Boat: Cape Dory 33
Posts: 1,019
Re: Walden Boat

I like the way you think Newt, and this is the way Lance and I have always wanted to do it, small and simple. I don't necessarily equate a Falmouth Cutter with economy as they tend to be in the high end pricewise for a boat that size, but the principal is good and it's an amazing little boat.

In one of the Pardey's books , the Cost Conscious Cruiser I think, they ask the question "do you want to be a cruiser or a consumer?" Of course they are addressing the question to people with limited budgets who think they can't go cruising without x,y. and z, or who are asking "how can I do this on such a small budget." It can not only be done, but some of us see it as preferable.

My favorite cruising book is Sensible Cruising by Don Casey and Lew Hackler (with considerable input from Henry David Thoreau). My dog eared, well read copy has passages highlighted....inspiration for the simple life.
__________________
Southbound on the ICW

https://share.delorme.com/SVAnteris
oldragbaggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 20:35   #8
Senior Cruiser
 
hpeer's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Philadelphia
Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Posts: 3,900
Re: Walden Boat

I presume you all have heard of Annie Hill? Voyaging on a Small Income?
__________________
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2014, 22:03   #9
Registered User
 
Barefootnavigat's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Boat: Falmouth Cutter
Posts: 44
Re: Walden Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Beth View Post
He has Hookie up for sale, if he hasn't already sold it. He was in Bellingham bay when I was, and I kinda wish that he had managed to keep the boat. Why did he quit? I think he really couldn't attract (keep) chicks with the "simplify" type of attitude.
As I think about it, I don't think many (any) people can just give up our crazy life. When did it become so important not to live well, but to live with everything we possibly can get? As I look at even my own family, materialism rules. It is pretty depressing really.
We have had this discussion before- but how many of us are really listening? How many of us will at some time of our lives, try to live with less?
Now there's a novel thought- how about "around the world on 10 dollars a day!" we could write one of those rare earth books, if DOJ doesn't do it first! After looking at a few blogs of the French in Bangladesh, maybe I would add a personal garden.
Just to set the record straight she is not up for sale nor has she ever been and its Sookie, not Hookie . But yes it is hard as hell finding a girl who wants to sail, is it my spartan lifestyle? Maybe but I have friends with 40'ers in the same situation. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said materialism rules.

My boat is safe and comfortable and yes very spartan, it works for me but honestly I doubt many could live happily on a small boat while cruising or at the dock. Having said that I have turned several interested candidates down so are are some out there willing live that life just haven't found my bilge babe yet. 10 bucks a day, is that a challenge?
__________________
Barefootnavigat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 10:28   #10
Senior Cruiser
 
s/v Beth's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Posts: 4,066
Re: Walden Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefootnavigat View Post
Just to set the record straight she is not up for sale nor has she ever been and its Sookie, not Hookie . But yes it is hard as hell finding a girl who wants to sail, is it my spartan lifestyle? Maybe but I have friends with 40'ers in the same situation. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said materialism rules.

My boat is safe and comfortable and yes very spartan, it works for me but honestly I doubt many could live happily on a small boat while cruising or at the dock. Having said that I have turned several interested candidates down so are are some out there willing live that life just haven't found my bilge babe yet. 10 bucks a day, is that a challenge?
Welcome to the forum! I am so glad I am wrong! When I saw one of your boats for sale in Bellingham I just assumed it was Sookie. Are you still in the area? If so, let me fix you some crab, salmon and salad this next August!
__________________
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 10:35   #11
Senior Cruiser
 
s/v Beth's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Posts: 4,066
Re: Walden Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauls View Post
Personally, I'm very much in favor of simplicity. It has an aesthetic that appeals to me. If I was contemplating this I'd go for simplicity, but a bigger hull. Bigger and simple can make the boat a lot more comfortable and it can really simplify living and working on the boat. When its little you're forever moving things to dig out something. You can't carry all the tools and supplies you'd like so you spend more time making do. You can't carry as much food and water so you need to re-provision more often. Etc. I'd vote for larger, and simple.

Regards, Paul
Hi Paul!
Yeah I have a larger boat too. But the complexity of upkeep makes me yearn for a smaller one. Somewhere there has to be a balance. Right now the loved ones kinda dictate the systems. But that may change.
__________________
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 10:38   #12
Senior Cruiser
 
s/v Beth's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Posts: 4,066
Re: Walden Boat

Becky and hypeer: thanks for the book tips. Will add them to my library. (Right next to Thoreau)
__________________
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 10:41   #13
Senior Cruiser
 
Cheechako's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Skagit City, WA
Posts: 19,365
Re: Walden Boat

Cruised Mexico with friends who had a a Falmouth 22. Great boat. Sailed just as fast as my 30 footer too. Small but setup well theirs was above the camping level. Permanent cookstove etc.
__________________
"I spent most of my money on Booze, Broads and Boats. The rest I wasted" - Elmore Leonard











Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 10:53   #14
Registered User
 
Barefootnavigat's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2014
Boat: Falmouth Cutter
Posts: 44
Re: Walden Boat

I will take that fish and repay you with wine. I sold an FC for friend, I have to say it was the nicest one Ive ever seen. I've been out in the islands since last July. I carried 10 cases of wine and used it to barter for fish and crab all summer This little boat sure can hold her own, I've yet to be able to sink her to her dwl. The whole spartan cruising thing is pretty interesting but I think for most its a lot more fun to read about than actually do. My only complaint is heat and thats on my list, I'm dying to do a winter cruise here, well lets just say extend my summer forever.
__________________
Barefootnavigat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2014, 12:28   #15
Senior Cruiser
 
s/v Beth's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Coos Bay, Oregon
Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Posts: 4,066
Re: Walden Boat

I might be able to help you with the heat. Do you know what a rocket stove is? I plan on building a tiny one for the cockpit. Heat water on it and transfer the water down stairs. Viola: heat.
Uses sticks and small deadwood....
Perfect for the PNW....
__________________

__________________
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:36.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.