Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2012, 23:00   #46

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Re: Toasted?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
I hate to be the guy to cr@p in your Wheatabix but I don't think the police are required to be a towing service.....,,

Well I was not going to piss in your Budweiser, however,go to Google earth and have a look at Swansea Channel NSW. I was well on the lake side of that bridge when I broke down. For them to dump me on the ocean side they had to request a bridge openning. The distance is probably also marginally further than back to the lake. If it was not for the fact they were concerned I might have been obstructing the channel, I could have waited for an incomming tide and sailed back to the lake when the wind got up myself.

No this is not a police conspiracy. Nor do I suffer the implied paranoia. The body who enforce waterway regulations who I have obviously got on the wrong side of are Maritime NSW.

I should have guessed someone would distort the facts to make me look like a fool. Even worse, I got to the paddling festival today to discover the race I missed yesterday got some of the best downwind conditions yet on a worldwide scale. At least I discovered many of the competitors were boaties who had similar things to say about Maritime NSW and the draconian regulations they enforce.
Old 26-05-2012, 23:12   #47

Before things turn nasty, here is an amusing story one of the top competitors - and blokes - was telling me today. Apparently if more than three stand up paddle boarders paddle togather on a NSW waterway they need to apply and pay for a permit for each ocasion they do so. In contrast, the Maritime officer who informed him of this rule could not believe he was expected to enforce such B/S legislstion.
Old 26-05-2012, 23:19   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSun View Post
Hang in there Shane. We have just arrived in NSW and its pretty eye-opening to hear your story. We are budget cruisers too and are a bit worried about being a target for draconian rule-makers. Skipper is a mechanic, so if we get up your way (Port Stephens right?) before you have sorted your engine troubles he'd be very happy to have a look at it for you. Good luck mate.
Thanks,

The best advice I can give you to avoid getting on the Maritime most wanted list is to keep moving. In places like Sydney Harbour, Lake Maquarie and Newcastle, if you stay anywhete conspicuous too long you will come to their notice. Once you get further up the coast things are a lot more relaxed and welcoming.
Old 26-05-2012, 23:21   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane

Well I was not going to piss in your Budweiser, however,go to Google earth and have a look at Swansea Channel NSW. I was well on the lake side of that bridge when I broke down. For them to dump me on the ocean side they had to request a bridge openning. The distance is probably also marginally further than back to the lake. If it was not for the fact they were concerned I might have been obstructing the channel, I could have waited for an incomming tide and sailed back to the lake when the wind got up myself.

No this is not a police conspiracy. Nor do I suffer the implied paranoia. The body who enforce waterway regulations who I have obviously got on the wrong side of are Maritime NSW.

I should have guessed someone would distort the facts to make me look like a fool. Even worse, I got to the paddling festival today to discover the race I missed yesterday got some of the best downwind conditions yet on a worldwide scale. At least I discovered many of the competitors were boaties who had similar things to say about Maritime NSW and the draconian regulations they enforce.
[QUOTE="SurferShane"]

I am very offended -LOL. To accuse me of drinking Budweiser is cruel and unusual! In fact your pissing in it would definitely be an improvement, although I'll never check - LOL

Yank beer is swill. Sorry countrymen, but somewhere along the line we lost our nads and only drink "Light" beer and watered down piss - Like veggie bacon, you ain't fooling anyone and besides, what's the point?

What were we talking about again? Oh, NSW police. Again no offence, didn't intend to make you look foolish, just an observation. Although the cops may have helped stuff you up, at the end of the day it's your boat.

Hey, tough spot to breakdown. But I were gonna tow you back up channel it would depend on the tide and how much VB or Newcastle you were gonna donate to me.

Cheers mate. And again good luck on getting home.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2225731928.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	220.4 KB
ID:	41538  
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 23:38   #50

@ Ex-Calif,

It is obviously confusing how we have all these different bodies over here enforcing overlapping duties. You would not believe how rule based and politically correct things are getting in NSW. Like I have said on the threads complaining about customs and fees, it is even worse when you live here.

Sorry too for being cranky. As I stated that race I missed yesterday was a once in a lifetimer. While the Maritime might not believe me, I really have been planning my recent voyages around these events.
Old 27-05-2012, 01:16   #51

Boat: Moody 425

Quote:
Maybe the NSW water police are in a conspiracy against you but my observation of the thousands of boats in Sydney on a weekend indicates they are not all having the same experience as you...
Sorry if I sound harsh and good luck with your boat recovery.
Just to clarify here ( Although I think Shane has done a sterling job above himself).....

The organisation he has had problems with and that I referred to in my post is not the NSW Police, but the altogether different flavour of bureaucracy known as NSW Maritime( well actually they have recently just become part of the motor registry essentially).
I believe the NSW Water Police to be amazing people who do a sensational job. I have been on the water in the greater Sydney area all my life and I am not aware of any claim, ever of NSW Water Police having ever harassed a recreational boater. I am however aware of several situations where they have pulled off exceptionally professional rescue operations in a range of trying conditions.

NSW Maritime IMHO however are the equivalent of a giant red pimple on the backside of NSW.

They're greatest achievement in the past 5 years has been the removal of public courtesy moorings from every safehaven on the NSW coast, banning boat poo without providing close to adequate pumpout facilities, increasing my registration fees 140% in that period, and keeping the rick and privedged people's waterviews free from pesky liveaboards.
Oh sorry they did also send me a free sticker with 'watch out for the prop' written on it to stick to my transom
chall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 02:56   #52
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Quote:
...Yank beer is swill. Sorry countrymen, but somewhere along the line we lost our nads and only drink "Light" beer and watered down piss - Like veggie bacon, you ain't fooling anyone and besides, what's the point?...
You've been away too long, Dan. There are hundreds of craft beer breweries in the US pumping out some lagers and ales of amazing quality. No need to suffer the swill any more.
Old 27-05-2012, 13:33   #53

I hope those self righteous ones replying to the OP never need a little extra help due to dumb luck, or what have you. Geesh...Anyhow....

I do agree, however, that knowledge is power as is self reliance and being equipped and do not venture out beyond what your budget can afford to cover, period. As I tell my younger ones...Don't put yourself in situations you can not get yourself out of.
Siren o the Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2012, 14:01   #54

Boat: Skookum 53'

Where do I go? Now that I have gone too far?
Old 27-05-2012, 17:53   #55
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3
You've been away too long, Dan. There are hundreds of craft beer breweries in the US pumping out some lagers and ales of amazing quality. No need to suffer the swill any more.
Good point Hud... I was discounting specialty and micros...

Actually when in the states I survive on Pacifica or Red Stripe (hooray beer) - great american beers? LOL
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 02:26   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Where do I go? Now that I have gone too far?
That's the exact feeling I am getting. No sense giving up now that I have sunk everything into cruising in my yacht. It would just be too easy to give up and feel sorry for myself, but that would not be the best option and is something I would really regret in the long-run.
Old 28-05-2012, 02:42   #57

Lightbulb Re: Toasted?

And now for a nice story! I drove out to the industrial estate to get some nice new sharp cobalt drill bits to get this last beligerant bolt out. So I am running out of feul on the way back and pull into the nearest service station. While I was trying to transfer a few dollars on my mobile this well dressed bloke over from me cops a lecture from the attendant about using his phone in his car adjacent the bowser. So he looks my way and I cover my phone and give him a grin.

So I go to pay and the transaction was declined due the fact I did not complete the transaction properly. I tell the cashier that I will have to duck around the corner and do another phone transaction. Before I got out the door the gentleman who had been chastised said he would pay for me!

Outside I went to thank him. All he had to say was "it's ok, don't stress". Wow, he must have known where I was at? There are obviously others too out there who follow the saying, " treat others as you would have them treat you"? Talk about creating good karma!
Old 28-05-2012, 13:41   #58

Boat: Peterson 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane View Post
And now for a nice story! Before I got out the door the gentleman who had been chastised said he would pay for me!

Outside I went to thank him. All he had to say was "it's ok, don't stress". Wow, he must have known where I was at? There are obviously others too out there who follow the saying, " treat others as you would have them treat you"? Talk about creating good karma!
HE must be a yachty.

I knew a developer who regularly put a $100 note into the cash tin for a 'self serve' side of the road fruit barrow. Just to be nice anonomously.
[and I wont tell you where....]

good karma
rusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2012, 02:33   #59

Talking good karma I had an epithany today. While I carefully cleaned the bolts and the newly tapped holes, I have a really bad feeling I forgot to do the same where I tapped the flywheel. That is, while I used Loctite primer on the cleaned parts, all I have really done is relocate the tapping fluid from the flywheel to the cleaned threads. No wonder the Loctite failed?

Still, things must happen for a reason and I am sure my old girl is haunted causing it to happen only too often. Firstly, if I can do a decent repair I still need to address the underlying vibration. Secondly, on a parts mission I might have discovered what is left of the real local yachting scene near a mooring that gives me sailing access to the open ocean. Maybe things happen for a reason?
Old 29-05-2012, 03:08   #60

Hey, another epithany for the Maritime twits who towed me out of Swansea Channel. Instead of harrasing people with genuine dramas why don't you piss off the tinnies anchored off fishing in the middle of the navagation channel? Gotta love Maritime NSW!