Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2015, 18:45   #1

Boat: Soon
To buy or not to buy

So. New sailors and are in a bind.
Looked at all the new Shiney boats at Annapolis this weekend. Then stopped and lookEd at a 38 Morgan. The hull has been completely redone but the rest of the boat needs a lot of attention.
I have 5 years but thoughts?
He is asking 21K for the boat.
Quote:
new bottom, several coats of military spec barrier coat, a hard marker coat and then the ablative bottom paint. She has a beautiful and near half inch solid fiberglass bottom better than new. Also a new three blade prop.
Just not sure......
couple2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 20:05   #2

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38
Re: To buy or not to buy

Look at a bunch of boats. Sleep on it. The market is flooded and there is much more to know than just that the bottom is good. Better to skip it for now and learn what makes a boat decent. And before you commit to anything get a survey done.
Based on your vague description you may be able to do better for the money.
Sea Dreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 05:42   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Which model/year?

Over 600 Morgan 38 sailboats were constructed between the late 1960s and the 1990s. There are 5 different models as follows:

Charley Morgan 38 ~ 80 built between 1969 and 1971
Morgan 382 - Ted Brewer design, ~ 300 built between 1977 and 1981
Morgan 383 ~ Taller mast, bigger rudder, traveller on deck, ~ 100 built 1982-1983
Morgan 384 ~ Slight Modifications, ~ 100 built 1983-1984
Catalina/Morgan 38 ~ Different design, built by Catalina after they acquired Morgan Yachts, Center Cockpit, ~ 60 built in 1990s.

BoatUS - Boat Reviews - Morgan 38

$21,000USD would be on the low end for a decent 382 (77 - 81), and the high end for a decent original 38 (69 - 71).

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 05:59   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You just can't compare a new boat to an older boat that the asking price is 21K, those are sort of opposite ends of the spectrum, don't ya think?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 07:06   #5

Boat: Soon

1980 Morgan West Indies 38 ft..
Wasn't trying to compare as there is no comparison. Really trying to find the boat that fits.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
couple2sail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 07:11   #6

Have you looked into 'Sailtime'? Before you buy a boat check out their timeshare program I found this program to be better than ownership.
Bobbyewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 07:44   #7

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Quote:
Originally Posted by couple2sail View Post
So. New sailors and are in a bind.
Looked at all the new Shiney boats at Annapolis this weekend. Then stopped and lookEd at a 38 Morgan. The hull has been completely redone but the rest of the boat needs a lot of attention.
Don't do it!

Its a buyers market. You should be able to get a boat where the hull and just about everything else is done too. Old boats are difficult to sell and usually get no where near their asking price. I just sold my 1974 Pearson 30, and thats the story from the sellers side.

Keep looking!
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 08:04   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

All I'm saying is if you can afford new, then you can afford newer than a 70's boat, or at least better than $20,000 asking price would indicate. There are I'm sure wonderful boats made in the 70's, but doubt many start with a 20K asking price.

Boats, cars, airplanes, almost everything hits a point age wise to where depreciation begins to taper off, you may want to discover what that point is on the type of boat your looking for and look at that age range, beyond that year they don't usually get all that much cheaper, just older.
The age will vary of course, some make of boats hold value longer than others.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 08:06   #9

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

When we purchased our first boat it was the first boat we looked at, that said we looked at many others before deciding. The range of care given older sail boats runs the gamut, and you really should explores other boats, as has been said its a buyers market. The real important stuff is not how shiny it is, but is the hull, deck, deck fittings, RIG, up to snuff, is the engine in good shape, is the electric system sound, is the interior reasonably clean, imo those are what one should be looking at when purchasing a good old boat. Then get a survey done. Hope your search goes well, and enjoy the process.
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 08:11   #10

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Instead of a surveyor, how about getting a competent knowledgeable friend to look at it with you. If you are anywhere near me, I'll volunteer for the job...I'm in Kingston Ontario Canada...
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 09:00   #11

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Take a deep breath and take a pass for now, it's probably going to be there for a while.

You were on a "Boatshow High". Know it well. Bad decisions on our part were made by shopping directly after leaving a boat show.

Lots of good boats out there within the $25K - $30K range. You should be able to do better than "it has a good bottom" for that money. Good luck.
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 09:08   #12

One thing to keep in mind is that if the bottom was "redone", that usually means the boat had blisters. Not the end of the world, but you need to know more about what it had. A few shallow blisters? deep large problem? How was it dried out? etc etc.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 09:38   #13

Boat: Gulfstar Custom 40

There's nothin like the beautiful lines of a classic 70's sailing vessel, especially a Morgan, however, don't be swayed by initial purchase price. After spending the weekend winterizing my 1977 forty footer, including replacing the split exhaust hose, manual bilge pump, water pump gasket, etc., my next boat will definitely be on the newer side. You should not assume the overall carrying costs of a newer boat will be significantly more than the carrying costs of an older boat that will require lots and lots of maintenance and parts replacement. Good luck and enjoy your search.
Marblehead1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 10:08   #14

Boat: Baltic 52

Suggest joining a sailing club. There are many out there, relatively inexpensive, with dues applying to charter fees. Sail some weekends, with and without the family, and determine if you're really going to use the boat when and if you buy one. All too often, when the new wears off, you can wind up with an expensive but beautiful hull in a slip, resulting in good deal for the next guy.. My son-in-law bought a 30 ft. power boat for fishing, wound up at sea once every six weeks or so, and realized that he was paying more than $500 for a bass, or about $1500 for a halibut.

Try the clubs, and if the lifestyle fits your family, and you've got a bit of experience, the buy.
phydeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 12:03   #15

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by couple2sail View Post

Just not sure......

5 years to go? Kind of putting the cart before the horse. A lot of good suggestions here to gain sailing experience through clubs and lessons. After a few years of that, you will have a better idea what suits your needs and fancies.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote