Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-08-2016, 20:59   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 2007 Beneteau 393 Cyclades
Tips for Newbies

Hi Everyone,
As I mentioned in my intro I'm new to the boating world and am here to learn. I'm wondering what tips you seasoned folks have to share with newbies. I'm interested in tips about anything related to boating that you think will be helpful. Things like, "if I had only know such-and-such when I first started boating" type thing. I've already found one thing that has been really helpful. I got Navionics and have discovered the automatic route option. You select a starting location and a destination and it calculates the best route. It even highlights precautions on the route like for shallow water and bridges and other hazardous things. I LOVE it!
Thanks in advance for any help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Route.PNG
Views:	206
Size:	220.5 KB
ID:	129653  

Old 15-08-2016, 21:17   #2

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37
Re: Tips for Newbies

Welcome here, and I may have missed it but you have a boat? Sail or power? Where do you want to go?

1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 21:24   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Spend time & money to gain knowledge & experience first, quality gear later, toys much much later.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 23:28   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Send a message via Skype™ to Jim Cate

Greetings SS, and welcome to CF.

Here's my tip for new users of the knowledge base of CF: ask more specific questions with narrower fields of view. What you have posed is like going to Dear Abby and asking her to give you tips that will help you understand women. (If that worked, there would be a lot fewer confused men!)

We're all here willing to help, but I wouldn't have a clue how to answer your plea for tips relating to "anything about boating".

And filling out your profile with some info about you and your boat, if any, will help guide us in our answers when you ask answerable questions.

Jim
Old 16-08-2016, 01:45   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

My first suggestion, forget the automatic routing for now and figure your own routes on a chart. Very educational and I find it very enjoyable. Also, I'm not sure I would trust my boat to an automatic routing algorithm anyway.
Old 16-08-2016, 09:51   #6

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Welcome to CF. Lots and lots of knowledge here and asking questions is a good way to start.

I think that part of the attraction of sailing the old fashioned ability to get safely from point A to point B on our own and possibly without horsepower. As in any sport you'll find cutting edge aficionados who have all the latest gear and pave the way for the rest of us. Then there are traditionalists who advocate celestial navigation and the power boaters, and the wooden boat society vs the ... well, you get my point.

We are a diverse community. You will not get a list of "Things I Wish I Knew" because each of us has a different priority list. Most of us fall in the middle, we have motors and radar and chart plotters, but we also know how to read and plot on paper charts, how to exist if the refrigeration craps out for a week, and how to hoist sail and get to point B to get the darn thing fixed.

I've been at this for 20 years and I'm still learning. Read, ask, study.

Since you like navigation, it's probably where you should start. Tons of stuff in books and on the internet. Good luck and let us know how you're doing.
Old 16-08-2016, 10:07   #7

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Important tips:
1. Stay in the boat
2. Keep the water on the outside
3. Keep that tall stick pointing up

The rest is just details.

S/V B'Shert
Old 16-08-2016, 11:21   #8
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Important tips:
1. Stay in the boat
2. Keep the water on the outside
3. Keep that tall stick pointing up

The rest is just details.

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42-LOVE IT! Haha! Thanks!
Old 16-08-2016, 11:33   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Greetings SS, and welcome to CF.

Here's my tip for new users of the knowledge base of CF: ask more specific questions with narrower fields of view. What you have posed is like going to Dear Abby and asking her to give you tips that will help you understand women. (If that worked, there would be a lot fewer confused men!)

We're all here willing to help, but I wouldn't have a clue how to answer your plea for tips relating to "anything about boating".

And filling out your profile with some info about you and your boat, if any, will help guide us in our answers when you ask answerable questions.

Jim
Hi Jim,
Thanks for the helpful info and suggestions! And Dear Abby was a great (and funny) analogy. A little more about me (which I added to my profile):

I've always loved the water and have kayaked my whole life. I've also participated in lots of other water activities and boating trips with family and friends (scuba diving, snorkeling, paddleboarding, sailing the Caribbean, shrimping, scalloping, sharks tooth hunting, spear fishing, and lobstering to name a few), but I've just recently begun learning things for myself such as piloting the boat, navigation, maintenance (kayaks don't require nearly as much maintenance as motor boats), etc. We got a Carolina Skiff about a year ago but haven't taken it out much (we want to make sure we know what we're doing). We also have a Super Sunfish which we got about a year ago and we love it but we are hoping to get a larger sailboat soon. We travel a lot for work and play (so that's why my location in my profile says "East Coast"). We currently don't have any set plans for places to travel. We are pretty spontaneous and are open to any adventure that we run across. The only thing that holds us back is sometimes we have to work (boo) and work doesn't pay us as much as we think they should (boo again).

As I learn more I'm sure I will have much more specific questions so I'll be sure to post those.
Old 16-08-2016, 12:12   #10

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
Tips for Newbies

SuperSunny, seriously, there is a lot to learn about sailing, cruising and maintaining a boat. You seem to have a good attitude and I'm sure you will learn what you need to know and practice what you learn. There are many books available to learn from. Read as many as you can. They all have something to offer and they fuel the sailing/cruising dream. There have been many threads listing people's favorite books. Here is one thread.

Best Book for a Solid Intro to Sailing?

Enjoy the journey.

Oh yes, and go sailing as often as you can.

S/V B'Shert
Old 16-08-2016, 13:48   #11

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Hi, there, Super Sunny,

Use sunscreen, it may keep you from having skin cancers taken off every year.

Seriously, the priorities really are to keep the water on the outside and with the boat. Obviously, the mast up is optional, depending on the type of boat. Next order is learn to fix what breaks.

Ann

"Today's misfortune is tomorrow's adventure."
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2016, 17:35   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

Hmmm, Another screen capture of a navionics app?

This post looks just like those of another couple of posters who are no longer around.

They, too, were viral advertisers for Navionics.
Old 04-03-2017, 10:08   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

You actually bought an navionics unit for a Carolina Skiff which you don't use often and / or a Super Sunfish?

Boy did they see you coming! Bet you bought it from some guy in a loud plaid jacket, wearing a fake eye patch and calling himself "Honest Ahab"!

Seriously, there are a ton of things you need and can really use before even thinking of overpriced stuff being pushed by people who are more concerned with raping you for a fast buck and zero concern for your welfare or safety
Old 04-03-2017, 10:11   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Hmmm, Another screen capture of a navionics app?

This post looks just like those of another couple of posters who are no longer around.

They, too, were viral advertisers for Navionics.

Ya think?

This thread sure does have the odor of week old fish.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: