Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2012, 04:13   #46
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Re: this may sound silly.... mono cat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi303 View Post
You would not drop the Hp requirements by using 2 monohulls to make a cat, instead you would be doubling them since each monohull would require the same Hp as before, but now you have 2. + the extra weight of the bridging between the hulls.

Maybe you should cut the monos in half, add a 20 foot plug with specifily engineered bridging bracing and make a 72' cat. Then you would have a cat with similar length/beam ratios as a cat is made with! Same Hp as the two monohulls still, but a much faster displacement speed for that Hp.
the two monohulls have ballast in them to keep them, upright? 15,000# each. si i had figured they would ride much higher in the water then before.
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 05:08   #47

Boat: SAGA 27 AK
Re: This May Sound Silly.... Mono Cat?

Scoobert, you have obviously made up your mind, anything anyone says to warn you you dismiss... Just go for it and let us know how it turns out.
Old 29-10-2012, 05:10   #48
cruiser

my mind is not on this yet. i am leaning 90% for the kit.
i know it would be best. still trying to find a way to save money thou.
Old 29-10-2012, 05:31   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
i know people have been rude on here before...
People aren't being rude. They are being realistic. You just think it's rude, because they are telling you things you don't want to hear.

These schemes that you are coming up with are not going to work. At this point, if I were a betting man, I would say that you're going to end up spending a lot of time and money over the next few decades of your life chasing crazy ideas, maybe buying a few junk boats, only to have it all end up on a scrap heap somewhere. You say you want to save money, but every scheme you have come up with so far is--above all else--yet another way to waste money on something that won't work

You would be far better off to listen to what people are telling you. Save your money. Buy or build a proven design.

But it's your life and it's your choice. I wish you the best of luck. I think you're going to need a LOT of it!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 05:54   #50
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
the more cash we can save the happier we will be.
Good luck with that .

Be quicker and cause less heartache if you take the USD200k from the bank and simply set fire to it.

Of course the project will never happen .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 06:23   #51

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Here's a 50 footer - ready to sail for 111,000 USD
Katamaran , 1990, Pris EUR 84.000, Brugt Flerskrogsbd Slges, gnstiger Liegep... Kroatien

Why try to build one yourself?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 08:12   #52
Marine Service Provider

Boat: We have a problem... A serious addiction issue.

Realistically a good, skilled builder with a lot of experience can build about 7lbs of boat per man hour. An armature builder about 3-4 depending on skill level.

A Lagoon 52 has a displacement of 26,000kg or 57,000 lbs. So figure it will take about 14,000 man hours to build. Working full time, 40 hours a week you are looking at around 7 years to build it. Not the two years you are hoping for.

Secondly, when you run the numbers, a home build will typically cost more to build than a similar boat would cost to buy. You can generally assume it will cost between 10 and 20 percent more to build. Of course a lot of variation exists, but these are rough numbers.

Finally if you go talk to designers like Richard Woods who design mainly for home builds, they can tell you horror stories about builds like this. Which is why many of them won't even design a home build this large. If I remember correctly Richard has mentioned that he has never seen a home build larger than 40 foot splash. The time and cost realities just kill the projects before they ever get close to finished.

- If animals weren't meant to be eaten then they wouldn't be made of food.
Stumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 09:12   #53

Boat: private yacht always moving

If I remember correct you were going bankrupt and then was able to start a new business
in 2011. you must have done good for yourself since then

in this post
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post628944
scoobert

Boat: cat coming soon

sailr69, you are correct, i am still a long ways from embarking. i have 4-8 months to get under way.

you must have gotten sidetracked since then. been over 1 year. Business must have been good. at this point you should be able to buy a larger custom yacht all solar powered so you do not have to pay for sails or fuel
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 14:17   #54

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44

Quote:
1) the goal is living room for two adults, two? three? kids and two dogs, and a cat. we want to keep the cost per mile traveled very low. to be realistic 99% of travel will be coastal. and 99% of stationary time will be at anchor. we have no worry about speed when moving. my goal was 4kts. 40-60 miles a day is plenty for coastal travel.

we want to do a hybrid powerplant. using electric motors to drive the props, and having a generator for crossings. using the entire top of the yacht for solar power. solar power has become so cheap its almost stupid to put a diesel generator for full time use, on a boat with ample space up top.
If the desired end state is a 1200 ft house, get a 1200 foot house. Seriously. You are clearly, and I don't mean this to be taken wrong, a land person. Get a house and take vacations or get a Winnebago and be a gypsy. Boat people -- well, at least cruisers -- life more compactly and more efficiently. After all, they have some of the largest living rooms on the planet.

Also if you are looking to keep your costs low, doing it on a giant boat is not the way. The maintenance costs are huge and the costs don't scale linearly. Hell, just think of the paint. Or the cleaning the hull. Or fees to take the boat out of the water.

Now, that said I disagree with some other posts in this thread, one of which is yours. But first, SunDevil makes a rather breezy statement that 40' is too large for a first timer. RoyM built his own 40 and another former member I know is currently about 1/2 way through a 45' cat. That is by the way his full time job and he has been at it for about two years. Read that as "no second income". But the point is it can be done. I can think of three others of the top of my head who by using a different method are building and working full time.

Also your statement:

Quote:
i am not a boat designer, but when browsing plans, i cannot say i ever came to one that said, "build from wood, then coat with fiberglass" with the exception of the top half of the boat.
... is just wrong. So wrong that I'm just going to say go look at the west epoxy site and perhaps order the Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction book. There are whole METHODS of doing just that.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 14:26   #55
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
If I remember correct you were going bankrupt and then was able to start a new business
in 2011. you must have done good for yourself since then

in this post
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post628944
scoobert

Boat: cat coming soon

sailr69, you are correct, i am still a long ways from embarking. i have 4-8 months to get under way.

you must have gotten sidetracked since then. been over 1 year. Business must have been good. at this point you should be able to buy a larger custom yacht all solar powered so you do not have to pay for sails or fuel

i got sidetracked with marriage.
Old 29-10-2012, 14:34   #56
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maren View Post
If the desired end state is a 1200 ft house, get a 1200 foot house. Seriously. You are clearly, and I don't mean this to be taken wrong, a land person. Get a house and take vacations or get a Winnebago and be a gypsy. Boat people -- well, at least cruisers -- life more compactly and more efficiently. After all, they have some of the largest living rooms on the planet.

Also if you are looking to keep your costs low, doing it on a giant boat is not the way. The maintenance costs are huge and the costs don't scale linearly. Hell, just think of the paint. Or the cleaning the hull. Or fees to take the boat out of the water.

Now, that said I disagree with some other posts in this thread, one of which is yours. But first, SunDevil makes a rather breezy statement that 40' is too large for a first timer. RoyM built his own 40 and another former member I know is currently about 1/2 way through a 45' cat. That is by the way his full time job and he has been at it for about two years. Read that as "no second income". But the point is it can be done. I can think of three others of the top of my head who by using a different method are building and working full time.

Also your statement:

... is just wrong. So wrong that I'm just going to say go look at the west epoxy site and perhaps order the Gougeon Brothers on Boat Construction book. There are whole METHODS of doing just that.
if i build it, i am doing metal. aluminum most likely. i like the security of not having my life ruined by a semi-submerged container at night. i like not having to worry about gouging the hull when i scrap and paint. i like not having stress cracking. once i decide how i am doing it, i may put out bids to build the hull, then fit it out myself.
Old 29-10-2012, 14:54   #57

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

A professional builder would be budgeting over 20,000 hours to complete a 50ft+ cat. Most likely keep an individual partime occupied for many(5+) years.

A professionally engineered plan/drawings will be the cheapest part of your plan and at least offer an escape plan if you decide to exit down the track.
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 15:11   #58
cruiser

i have a plan set now.
Bruce Roberts, steel boat plans, boat building, boatbuilding, steel boat kits, boat kits
Old 29-10-2012, 15:21   #59

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44

Quote:
if i build it, i am doing metal. aluminum most likely. i like the security of not having my life ruined by a semi-submerged container at night. i like not having to worry about gouging the hull when i scrap and paint. i like not having stress cracking. once i decide how i am doing it, i may put out bids to build the hull, then fit it out myself.
A container would tear right though it. How do you feel about the security of stray current corrosion?

But if you want metal, that's fine. There certainly are good metal boats our there. I think it's more about what sort of maintenance you do over the material choice.

Ah! That's what you remind me of! At first I though you were one of our folks reincarnated but now I realize this is more like it.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2012, 15:25   #60

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Here's a 50 footer - ready to sail for 111,000 USD
Katamaran , 1990, Pris EUR 84.000, Brugt Flerskrogsbd Slges, gnstiger Liegep... Kroatien

Why try to build one yourself?
Send that to Sandcrab.

I haven't seen him put it on the thread.