Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 18:18   #1

Boat: Orca 38
The Straits Kicked My Butt Today

Got caught in opposing tide/wind scenario early this morning by miscalculating departure time of a trip from Port Angeles to Seattle.

I spent 6 hours in some pretty nasty crap and scared moi to the core. I think the third wave cresting on me and filling the cockpit to my knees while knocking me about was definitely overkill on Neptune's part and really, I had already gotten the point quite thoroughly. Oh, and let's make it all happen at 2. a.m., solo, and a new to me boat.

I did it though
I'm tired and drained after 14 hours on the tiller, beat up, and at the same time extremely hyper. What gives?

I pulled into Port Townsend to get a breather after it happened and had a tug captain tell me that he was a quarter mile astern thinking I was going to lose it. He waited for me in case I needed someone. I owe that man a beer.

First, sleep.
Old 03-05-2011, 18:28   #2

Boat: Vamos, a Ranger 28 Tall Rig
Re: The Straits kicked my butt today

No, give that man a beer and drink a few for yourself! You deserve it, then you go sleep!
WillJacocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 18:34   #3

Many have been caught on the wrong side of our daily flood & slack cycle. Here's a handy link for PNW sailors : http://www.mobilegeographics.com:81/...=2011&m=3&d=31

This should help ya know all the flood/ebb times at a glance. Glad you made in in safely. All of us u[p here have been caught in that day of hell. NO FUN!
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 18:50   #4
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

You're not the first to get your butt kicked by Pt. Wilson! Those swells bouncing off Whidbey + ebb out of Admiralty + any wind with a W or an N can make that place a sailor's hell.

Hey, you got yourself some big-time Experience Points! Not to mention you also learned a lot about your new-to-you boat. Good for you, mate! Enjoy the sleep, you've earned it.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:31   #5

Boat: Haida 26
Re: The Straits Kicked My Butt Today

I too got my butt kicked, Was sailing from Everett-Coos Bay last August. Rounded Point Wilson about 6:00pm and it started to build. Had to motor straigh into it all night. Was pretty tired at 3:00am and pulled into Dungeness Bay an hove to until 5:30am. Cat napped a little, then headed out around the spit, to Port Angeles. Spent the next night there getting some rest for the next leg to Neah Bay. The rest of the trip was great. That was a terrible night, been in alot worse, 12' wind waves just are not fun. Think I'll stick to the open ocean. Michael..
rubyjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:51   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

It's a good reminder that while for the most part the Salish Sea is a mellow place to cruise there are conditions when it becomes dangerous.

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 08:53   #7

It happens man. Every smooth move I make is typically a direct result of a previously learned-the-hard-way lesson.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 09:24   #8
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
It happens man. Every smooth move I make is typically a direct result of a previously learned-the-hard-way lesson.
No kidding. I'd show you my bruises, but I'm afraid I could get arrested.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 16:44   #9

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strait Shooter View Post
Got caught in opposing tide/wind scenario early this morning by miscalculating departure time of a trip from Port Angeles to Seattle.

I spent 6 hours in some pretty nasty crap and scared moi to the core. I think the third wave cresting on me and filling the cockpit to my knees while knocking me about was definitely overkill on Neptune's part and really, I had already gotten the point quite thoroughly. Oh, and let's make it all happen at 2. a.m., solo, and a new to me boat.

I did it though
I'm tired and drained after 14 hours on the tiller, beat up, and at the same time extremely hyper. What gives?

I pulled into Port Townsend to get a breather after it happened and had a tug captain tell me that he was a quarter mile astern thinking I was going to lose it. He waited for me in case I needed someone. I owe that man a beer.

First, sleep.
Personally, I think you should change the title to The straits tried to kick my butt today.

Obviously it didn't succeed. You survived, learned some valuable lessons and got to know your boat better. You did good.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 18:57   #10

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

The "schedule" is your worst enemy.

Today would have been a cruising chute slide across a pond.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 20:01   #11

Thanks everyone for your valued input, encouragement and for sharing your own stories of our infamous Straits. I know a lot more of them that I've heard from local fisherman and the Salish is indeed a place to respect at all times.

"The Straits TRIED to kick my butt yesterday", if I could change the title I absolutely would. I DID learn a lot. I learned I can trust my boat when the crap gets hairy, I also learned a little more about myself. However, Mechanico's right, I thought I had compensated enough for beating the tide and onshore flow. I failed in my planning and will accept this as a valuable lesson learned.

I have blisters that have ripped open on both hands today. I think I actually knocked some bottom paint off of the hull (makes me wonder about the quality of the application), the cockpit drains no longer have any growth in them

I think I'll go sailing Saturday!
Old 04-05-2011, 20:09   #12

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

There are some pretty good posts if you search for them that are all about Horror At Point Wilson and some tricks to stay out of the rough. Just imagine how nice it would have been to have inside hydrolic steering for that mess. I am sealing the cockpit seats tommorrow and will get the Pix I promised you.

Don't feel bad about getting caught, we have all done it...hope you didn't tear anything up.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 20:13   #13

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Here is an example of the last time I got in a hurry.

Todd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Idora trip with Ross and Connor 046.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	414.6 KB
ID:	26984  
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2011, 20:21   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper
There are some pretty good posts if you search for them that are all about Horror At Point Wilson and some tricks to stay out of the rough. Just imagine how nice it would have been to have inside hydrolic steering for that mess. I am sealing the cockpit seats tommorrow and will get the Pix I promised you.

Don't feel bad about getting caught, we have all done it...hope you didn't tear anything up.

Todd
Nope, nothing torn up Todd (except maybe my hands and arm muscles), the pucker factor might have left me in dire straits (pun intended) for a few days. I have to go out of country on Sunday for a few weeks and when I get back the hydraulics are being added. I really look forward to seeing your set up.
I think I'll go do some reading.
Old 04-05-2011, 20:26   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper
Here is an example of the last time I got in a hurry.

Todd
Ouch!

A funny side note, I had a plastic container of blueberries in the cupboard. I found 4 blueberries in the V berth when I went to bed.

I had a toilet brush in the head under the sink. I found it in the pilothouse on the chart table. Ya think Neptune is trying to tell me something?