Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2019, 14:10   #31

Boat: Hunter 33 Cherubini , Catalina 14.2
Re: Struggling With Future of Boat

My preference is also for epoxy. You could however switch to polyester or vinylester provided the epoxy is fully cured and amine free. Epoxy sensitivity is, from memory, limited specifically to epoxy chemistry.

The former professional glass finisher I know still does side work locally on the weekends. Your job sounds too large for him.

Best Luck.
Secondshift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2019, 04:23   #32

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondshift View Post
My preference is also for epoxy. You could however switch to polyester or vinylester provided the epoxy is fully cured and amine free. Epoxy sensitivity is, from memory, limited specifically to epoxy chemistry.

The former professional glass finisher I know still does side work locally on the weekends. Your job sounds too large for him.

Best Luck.
Would your friend like to do some of the work part time? I have it all broken down into small bits.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2019, 23:51   #33

Boat: Outremer 40/43

No brainer...
Sell the half boat and finish the cat!

But I may be biassed
Tomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 00:25   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Exactly. That's the problem. It's not forever.
Even in a downturn, the high quality guys will still have jobs and be even less likely to walk away for a short term payoff.

If you want quality work, expect to pay for quality work.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2019, 01:39   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Even in a downturn, the high quality guys will still have jobs and be even less likely to walk away for a short term payoff.

If you want quality work, expect to pay for quality work.
Ready to pay for quality work.

Know anyone available to do it?
Old 19-03-2019, 01:40   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomahawk View Post
No brainer...
Sell the half boat and finish the cat!

But I may be biassed
Trying to, but no one has available time to do the work.
Old 24-03-2019, 09:12   #37

Boat: SeaClipper 38 Tri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secondshift View Post

Best Luck.

Regarding sensitivities to the amines in epoxy: a friend of mine put me onto a different and apparently reaction-free epoxy made by Entropy Resins called SuperSap. I understand that Entropy is now a division of West Systems, yet costs much less! (Remarkable in itself!! ) It is certified as a USDA Bio-based Product, and think it is plant based in some way. It works great. My friend, having been very affected by the amines in epoxy while he is building his tri, now works with the Entropy brand without difficulty - as do I. See entropyresins.com and ph. 310-882-2120. Good luck. RR.
Rotten Ricky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 11:52   #38

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

feeling your pain man. Damn shame theres no cheap labor available to do the poisonous work that put you in hospital. maybe we should start a charity.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2019, 14:23   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten Ricky View Post
Regarding sensitivities to the amines in epoxy: a friend of mine put me onto a different and apparently reaction-free epoxy made by Entropy Resins called SuperSap. I understand that Entropy is now a division of West Systems, yet costs much less! (Remarkable in itself!! ) It is certified as a USDA Bio-based Product, and think it is plant based in some way. It works great. My friend, having been very affected by the amines in epoxy while he is building his tri, now works with the Entropy brand without difficulty - as do I. See entropyresins.com and ph. 310-882-2120. Good luck. RR.

Whoa!!!

This is an absolute game changer!!

Thank you so much for posting this! I've searched high and low for alternative epoxies and only came up with some chemist's side project. They never answered messages and I was never able to get any. I had never heard of this one since it didn't come up on Google searches or in conversation before.

This changes EVERYTHING. I could hire someone to grind and abrade the old epoxy, hire someone to clean, then I can do the assembly and do it right.

You, sir, have just saved my boat.
Old 24-03-2019, 14:25   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
feeling your pain man. Damn shame theres no cheap labor available to do the poisonous work that put you in hospital. maybe we should start a charity.
Do you own a boat? If you do, you can shut up now because someone built your boat too.

Epoxy is not toxic per se and is a lot less harmful than polyester, which 90+% of all boats are built from. What's yours built from if you even have one?

I developed an allergy from over exposure and genetics. Do you even understand what that means?
Old 24-03-2019, 14:37   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten Ricky View Post

What do you make of this MSDS sheet though?

https://entropyresins.com/wp-content/uploads/EH-ONF-SDS.pdf

That's their most "green" product. The ONE system. That's an MSDS for the hardener. Says it's a bunch of amines and can cause skin sensitivity and asthma. I have the chemical induced asthma when I'm near regular epoxy amines.

Is the product you're working with different from this one? They have a few there .

Thanks
Old 24-03-2019, 15:03   #42

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

The shipwright who built our boat (epoxy strip planked) became sensitized to the epoxies and could no longer work with them. Started doing vinylester and foam hulls instead. Recently he has found that he can work with Boat-Cote epoxies with no issues. You might investigate that brand as well.

And being the adult result of "one of those kids who react to eating peanuts", and having had a few trips to the ER from that,, I sympathize with your anaphylactic reaction: ain't fun at all!

Jim

Tags
boat