Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2012, 15:21   #31
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,452
Images: 69
Re: Steel or Aluminum

My 44' cat took around 6000 hours. I know a few others who have taken similar timeframes. No doubt a 65 foot cat in steel or aluminium would take MUCH longer, maybe double that or more.

Seems my experience has been a lot more positive than your's Boracay. Very happy with the result, and saved plenty over buying a similar boat.

Although the current financial situation does make buying much more attractive than it was a few years back.
__________________

__________________
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 16:45   #32
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: medusa NY
Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Posts: 2,098
Re: Steel or Aluminum

a steel boat would take far less time then any other type except aluminum, that would be the same time.
once you cut all the parts out you just weld them together.
if worst came to worst i can go to the votech to get a few kids from welding class to do some welding.
80,000 hours? no way. not sure there is even that many in a power barge.
__________________

__________________
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 17:56   #33
Moderator
 
Boracay's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Pelican Bay, Great Sandy National Park
Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
Posts: 5,175
Images: 18
Re: Steel or Aluminum

44'cruisingcat - That is one seriously nice boat. I'm jealous.
I probably work a bit slower than most though.

My 32' ferro took 1500 hours and three years to launch (should have put in another 1500 but I wanted to sail) and the 6.5m ply took about 500 hours and a year. All of it part time work.

Boracay was up round 5000 hours when we left and I really should have put in another couple of thousand more.

Also I'm not the world's best worker.
__________________
Rust never sleeps
Boracay Blog.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 18:07   #34
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: medusa NY
Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Posts: 2,098
Re: Steel or Aluminum

1300 man hours to assemble the hulls deck and superstructure from the kit.
that's from Bruce himself.
__________________
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 18:19   #35
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: medusa NY
Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Posts: 2,098
Re: Steel or Aluminum

oh, and i have to say after sales support is awesome.
__________________
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 19:28   #36
Senior Cruiser
 
44'cruisingcat's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,452
Images: 69
Re: Steel or Aluminum

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
a steel boat would take far less time then any other type except aluminum, that would be the same time.
once you cut all the parts out you just weld them together.
.
I disagree. Building from prefab flat cored fibreglass panels has many of the advantages of steel, plus a few more.

It's far easier and faster to cut.
Taping joins is faster than welding IMO.
Panels are lighter, so easier to handle. I handled a 44' x 6' sheer panel by myself.
With my boat, once I had built the outside shell, I had built the inside too. The inner skin is the inside of the outer skin. It just needs fairing and painting. With metal, you have to build an interior inside the shell - you virtually build another boat inside.

If Bruce Roberts can guarantee you'll have the shell of a 65 foot cat assembled and fully welded in 1300 hours, then go for it. But I seriously doubt it's possible.
__________________
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 19:53   #37
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: medusa NY
Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Posts: 2,098
Re: Steel or Aluminum

well 1300 is for steel that is pre cut. its like a big 3d puzzle with a cheat sheet.
i am not getting the kit. i will be cutting my own. so add 300-400 hours of cutting.
many of the parts are very large. as far as finishing the inside...
i have to spray insulate it, then put down plywood for flooring, and some type of wall covering. i will be doing hardwood flooring later over the plywood.
i hope to be living on it after 2000 hours of construction time, some of which i will sub out. i plan to have two people work on the major parts for 10-15 weeks 40 hours per week with me helping, once everything is cut.
__________________
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 21:36   #38
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: Steel or Aluminum

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post

However the hull cost is only about 1/3 of the total cost of a boat and the labour for welding is a much smaller fraction again. So having a hull professionally constructed and fitting out the boat yourself. Or working with a professional aluminium welder are all viable options that are worth considering.
I've built 3 steel boats. Two for myself. I will disagree slightly with noelex on the 1/3 factor. The hull is about 10%-15% of the total cost and time.
scoobert...If your afraid of the price of Aluminum welding equipment, you aint seen nothing. The welder will account for about 1/2% of the cost of building.
Frankly...I find your whole approach fool hearty. There is no, "do it yourself and save" by building custom. You'll end up with a lumpy, heavy potato unless you're a pro with years of welding gear. Ask anyone else on the forum that has built from scratch, how long it takes. For what you're attempting...years and years.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 21:45   #39
Registered User
 
Celestialsailor's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In Mexico, working on the boat
Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.
Posts: 8,013
Images: 5
Re: Steel or Aluminum

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
1300 man hours to assemble the hulls deck and superstructure from the kit.
that's from Bruce himself.
....and you believe this guy? I built his R34. Took much longer than he said.
__________________
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:36   #40
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: medusa NY
Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Posts: 2,098
Re: Steel or Aluminum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
I've built 3 steel boats. Two for myself. I will disagree slightly with noelex on the 1/3 factor. The hull is about 10%-15% of the total cost and time.
scoobert...If your afraid of the price of Aluminum welding equipment, you aint seen nothing. The welder will account for about 1/2% of the cost of building.
Frankly...I find your whole approach fool hearty. There is no, "do it yourself and save" by building custom. You'll end up with a lumpy, heavy potato unless you're a pro with years of welding gear. Ask anyone else on the forum that has built from scratch, how long it takes. For what you're attempting...years and years.

what are the other major costs?

according to what your saying i will be spending between 1 million and 1.5 million?
thats seems highly unlikely.
this reminds me of house building, in that as you get bigger the cost per square foot goes down.
EG a 1000 sqft home can cost $35 per.
a 4000 sq ft home can cost only $23 per.
that is self built pricing.
40' cat or 60' cat, you still only need two engines, 1 generator, 1 battery bank, 1 helm, auto pilot, radar,
you will need more cooling, sure. but thats not the major expense.
3 years is a goal, not a brick wall. i would be willing to spend as long as 5 on it.
__________________
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 05:36   #41
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: medusa NY
Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Posts: 2,098
Re: Steel or Aluminum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
....and you believe this guy? I built his R34. Took much longer than he said.
if i am going too slow, i would bring in more helpers for longer.
__________________
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:28   #42
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 13,649
Images: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert

what are the other major costs?

according to what your saying i will be spending between 1 million and 1.5 million?
thats seems highly unlikely.
this reminds me of house building, in that as you get bigger the cost per square foot goes down.
EG a 1000 sqft home can cost $35 per.
a 4000 sq ft home can cost only $23 per.
that is self built pricing.
40' cat or 60' cat, you still only need two engines, 1 generator, 1 battery bank, 1 helm, auto pilot, radar,
you will need more cooling, sure. but thats not the major expense.
3 years is a goal, not a brick wall. i would be willing to spend as long as 5 on it.
If you want to sail use the money and buy a used one. If you want to be a boat builder and not a sailor , knock yourself out. You know how you make a small fortune in boat building !!


Yes you need a mast two engines etc. but these are all progressively way more expensive. Look at sails and mast costs for such boats.

Many have been their before you. And most are failures. You need good equipment , good skills , and a lot of luck.
Dave
__________________
Check out my new blog on smart boat technology, networking and gadgets for the connected sailor! - http://smartboats.tumblr.com
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:33   #43
Registered User
 
cfarrar's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Brooklin, Maine U.S.A
Boat: Allures 44
Posts: 734
Images: 2
Re: Steel or Aluminum

Scoobert:

You have limited building experience, limited boating experience (judging from your description of your boat), and no parenting experience. Might your plan succeed? Sure! However, the most likely outcome is not that you will be "defeated" by the requirements of time and money - though this is certainly possible - but rather that you will change your plans as you gain experience building, cruising, and parenting.

Buy a used trawler, live aboard for a while, and spend time with your kids. You'll find out if you really need that 65 ft steel catamaran. If so, then go for it. If not, you will have saved yourself a whole lot of time, money, and heartache.
__________________
cfarrar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:43   #44
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: medusa NY
Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Posts: 2,098
Re: Steel or Aluminum

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
If you want to sail use the money and buy a used one. If you want to be a boat builder and not a sailor , knock yourself out. You know how you make a small fortune in boat building !!


Yes you need a mast two engines etc. but these are all progressively way more expensive. Look at sails and mast costs for such boats.

Many have been their before you. And most are failures. You need good equipment , good skills , and a lot of luck.
Dave
its not a sail boat.
i am not trying to say i can make money doing this. after the basics are done, we will move aboard and have tons of time to do the finish work.
all i need to move on is a dry, working, boat.

the drive system will be hybrid, i am expecting it to cost a lot, but i will be fabbing it myself. also the drive system can be finished once in the water.

i know there are a ton of failures. BR makes money because he sells plans. i am betting on out of 1000 plans he sells, 200 get started, 150 finished. thats only a guess.
__________________
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:44   #45
cruiser

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: medusa NY
Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"
Posts: 2,098
Re: Steel or Aluminum

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfarrar View Post
Scoobert:

You have limited building experience, limited boating experience (judging from your description of your boat), and no parenting experience. Might your plan succeed? Sure! However, the most likely outcome is not that you will be "defeated" by the requirements of time and money - though this is certainly possible - but rather that you will change your plans as you gain experience building, cruising, and parenting.

Buy a used trawler, live aboard for a while, and spend time with your kids. You'll find out if you really need that 65 ft steel catamaran. If so, then go for it. If not, you will have saved yourself a whole lot of time, money, and heartache.

the trawler would be ok, if it didnt require so much power to push thru the water. but when diesel is $10 a gallon i will need an option B.
__________________

__________________
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:18.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.