Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-01-2013, 17:12   #1

Shallow Draft

I am on a river where the depth can drop to 3' and I have a bridge clearance of 44' . I have looked at multi hulls and mono hulls. I would like to cruise, but would like to keep the boat at my home. I have found boats with speed but mast was to high or the draft is deep. Looking for suggestions!!

Old 11-01-2013, 18:07   #2

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers
Re: Shallow draft

The Centaur. 3 foot draft, 35' mast. Hull speed about 5.5knots, often does better. Bilge keel makes it nice for blowouts, or bottom maintenance. Comfy pocket cruiser with 2 double berths and 2 singles. Dinette drops for the second double. Full head.

Old 11-01-2013, 18:09   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Often this is a problem answered by a split rig such as a ketch. The mast can be far shorter than the sloop and, with the lower center of force on the sails, they can achieve the proper righting arm with a shoal draft. There are some copies of the old style and beautiful Bugeye ketches of the Chesapeake working boat fame that might suit you well. Kenner is a boat from the seventies that might still be available on the used market.
Old 11-01-2013, 19:17   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

A 30' center boarder like the Morgan 30, Pearson Wanderer, C&C Corvette should fit the bill nicely. If you want a go fast, no accomadation racer, the Hobie 33 might work though the mast may be too tall. The Hobie is trailerable
Old 11-01-2013, 19:27   #5
Mooderator

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
Often this is a problem answered by a split rig such as a ketch. The mast can be far shorter than the sloop and, with the lower center of force on the sails, they can achieve the proper righting arm with a shoal draft. There are some copies of the old style and beautiful Bugeye ketches of the Chesapeake working boat fame that might suit you well. Kenner is a boat from the seventies that might still be available on the used market.
+1 on the Kenner! (yes, the toy company)
Old 11-01-2013, 19:52   #6
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by shallowsail View Post
I am on a river where the depth can drop to 3' and I have a bridge clearance of 44' . I have looked at multi hulls and mono hulls. I would like to cruise, but would like to keep the boat at my home. I have found boats with speed but mast was to high or the draft is deep. Looking for suggestions!!
Stiletto 27. 39' mast. 16" draft. Scary fast.

Sail Delmarva: The Stiletto 27 - You Can Actually Sleep in That?

Sail Delmarva: Short Summer’s Cruise

Writing full-time since 2014.
Bookstore:http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...ook-store.html
thinwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2013, 23:09   #7

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

The following are boats with a minimum draft of 3.5', there are only a very few with draft 3' or less. There are some other boats 20-27' with 3' or less draft that would work too, but you said you wanted to cruise which implies a need for a bit more space..

Truck height can be estimated by adding 3' or 4' to the 'I' dimension if a masthead rig or 6' to the 'P' dimension if the boat is fractionally rigged.

TARTAN 27
MORGAN 34 - boarder line for mast height
MORGAN 28
MORGAN OUT ISLAND 28
MORGAN OUT ISLAND 30
IRWIN 27
IRWIN 28-1 CB
IRWIN 31
GRAMPIAN 30 CB
COLUMBIA 34
COLUMBIA 34 Mk II CB
COLUMBIA 33 CARIBBEAN
COLUMBIA 31
BRISTOL 29 CB
BRISTOL 29.9 CB
BRISTOL 30 CB
BRISTOL 31.1 CB - boarder line for mast height
BRISTOL 32 CB
BRISTOL 35.5 CB

WANDERER 30 (PEARSON)
CORVETTE 31 (C&C)
CENTAUR 26 (WESTERLY)
MORGAN 30-1
HOBIE 33 - No issue with mast height. Lift keel that is bolted down to sail, so 2' or 5.5', nothing in between.
MEGA 30 OD (C&C) 1.75' or 5' draft or Lift keel may be sailed partially withdrawn at 3.75' draft.

FLICKA 20
BAYFIELD 25
BAYFIELD 29
PEARSON 300
FALMOUTH CUTTER 22
BRISTOL 26 CB
BRISTOL 24 CORSAIR (SAILSTAR)
BRISTOL 24
Old 12-01-2013, 06:24   #8

Boat: contessa 32

You may be best served with a pocket cruiser,but many sharpies will fit into your criteria.Get hold of The Sharpie book by Ruel Parker ; these craft have many attributes that include speed,very shoal draft,trailerable,masts in tabernacles, simplicity,cheap to build or buy,beach able,etc. etc.. I cruised a Bay Hen for a number of years and cruised in many areas here in the Eastern US that few can get to because of the constraints you mention. You will not get standing headroom or Rtw capability, but as always there are compromises.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:00   #9

Boat: FP, Helia 44 Evo

How about a MacGregor 26
1' draft and 35' mast height. Motors at over 24 mph.

MacGregor 26 Boats For Sale
Old 12-01-2013, 07:04   #10

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Not sure what sort of cruising you're hoping to do, or what size boat you're hoping for, but our boat's design might fit the bill. It's a Jim Michalak design, the Cormorant -- a 31-foot modified sharpie with water ballast, trailerable. Draws 1 foot with all boards up, needs 2 feet to motor. Mast is in a tabernacle and we can get under 10-foot bridges with mast folded down and mizzen popped out. Probably 24 or 25 feet with mast up. We take it coastal cruising all over the east coast of the US and out to the Bahamas.

Of course the big problem is, if you want one you gotta build it! (Or pay someone to do it.)

Duckworks Boatbuilders Supply

Whatever boat you settle on, you'll find that shallow draft is a blast! You can go places other boats can't, and you'll never have trouble finding anchorage space.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:05   #11

Boat: Carter offshore 35

North Shore Yachts Southerly model. Offshore boat with swing keel can go from 27" to over 6'. Not sure on mast height but several models to choose from. Can even beach it.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:15   #12

Look at multihulls, especially the trailerable trimarans (F-boats). There are quite a few which will fit your bill
Old 12-01-2013, 07:15   #13
rlg

Corsair 24 trimaran fast,and trailerable
Old 12-01-2013, 09:25   #14

After 40 years of "boating" it's only in the past couple of years I've learned what compromises are made for stated requirements involving broad uses, seaworthy, capable of offshore passages, with trailerable and shallow draft are at odds as to design.

I have similar requirements as the OP and found that the Luger 30 meets all three requirements, somewhat. It is billed as the largest trailerable sailboat. 30' @ 8'ish beam, 3' draft and while it may be fine to head off to the Bahamas, it wouldn't be something for transatlantic crossings or the North Atlantic. These boats compare well in comfort motion to more expensive and better known boats. An issue is that these were kit boats and the quality of the build varies greatly to the skills and knowledge of the builder, some made with modifications making a much stronger build and others may have had short cuts in the build by novice builders. One is in South Florida, for sale on Yacht World with a trailer, reportably built by an experienced builder with better modifications.....whatever, it's 15k I believe.

I've not been able to find a boat that does it all exceptionally well.

Thanks to others posting great suggestions, Bolger's Sharpie might be a contender for rivers. A Sharpie probably has the least draft of the monohulls, but will go slap, slap, slap, slap in the chop. Everything is a tradeoff....
Old 13-01-2013, 09:30   #15

Thanks to all for the replies, especially the complete list, I had looked at the new Presto 30, basically one off at the present time.

Tags
draft

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: