Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 05:03   #1
Armchair Bucketeer

Question Setting up a new Transat Yacht "race".......

I want to set one up - from (Old) Jersey to New Jersey, for the historical connection and because it is not a common nor simple route.

For legal and simplicity reasons would not actually be a race - instead would be an annual Challenge, with the prize (for every vessel that completed the Journey - there and back!) to be a crate of beer when they reach halfway and then a Gold Sovereign when they make it back (or something similarly affordable! - folks won't be doing it for the riches!). Probably also add a time requirement of same year.

It's really simply a marketing tool (working title is "The J-Tac" - Jersey Trans Atlantic Challenge), if few ever complete it then does not really matter . The most that will be required of folks each end is checking that the boat actually leaves (and arrives!) from the places as claimed - and not on suitablility of Vessel / Skipper, legally that works this end, in the US that will be SEP .....failing that can add a requirment for some Youtube in front of the Statue of Liberty with the day's newsapaper - or summit .

Preamble over, what I am after is:-

1) a destination in New Jersey, must be a Marina (that takes visitors) with shoreside boat facilities and have a decent town / business community thereabouts (will likely be knocking on doors to see if I can get a co-sponser on the US end). Ideally also with good connections to an international airport. (The Cruising Wiki is blank on NJ!).

2) some idea of what times of year the crossing would be best (each way).

3) some idea of the timescale for the trip (each way).

Intended from this end for some (marketing) support from the local Tourism Office and possibly other businesses, could work similar from the US end.

Timescale is 2014 to kick off. I might even do it myself .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:10   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Setting up a new Transat Yacht "race".......

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I want to set one up - from (Old) Jersey to New Jersey, for the historical connection and because it is not a common nor simple route.

For legal and simplicity reasons would not actually be a race - instead would be an annual Challenge, with the prize (for every vessel that completed the Journey - there and back!) to be a crate of beer when they reach halfway and then a Gold Sovereign when they make it back (or something similarly affordable! - folks won't be doing it for the riches!). Probably also add a time requirement of same year.

It's really simply a marketing tool (working title is "The J-Tac" - Jersey Trans Atlantic Challenge), if few ever complete it then does not really matter . The most that will be required of folks each end is checking that the boat actually leaves (and arrives!) from the places as claimed - and not on suitablility of Vessel / Skipper, legally that works this end, in the US that will be SEP .....failing that can add a requirment for some Youtube in front of the Statue of Liberty with the day's newsapaper - or summit .

Preamble over, what I am after is:-

1) a destination in New Jersey, must be a Marina (that takes visitors) with shoreside boat facilities and have a decent town / business community thereabouts (will likely be knocking on doors to see if I can get a co-sponser on the US end). Ideally also with good connections to an international airport. (The Cruising Wiki is blank on NJ!).

2) some idea of what times of year the crossing would be best (each way).

3) some idea of the timescale for the trip (each way).

Intended from this end for some (marketing) support from the local Tourism Office and possibly other businesses, could work similar from the US end.

Timescale is 2014 to kick off. I might even do it myself .
Have a chat with the 'Jester's' folk... they do a similar thing every 2nd year (one way)... in between its to the Azores....
Starting date is usually May... no fixed route...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:55   #3
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
The obvious place would be Atlantic city. ? , good few marinas etc.

Very ambitious plan David. A there and back is a huge task for non professional crews , never mind the neccessary weather windows.

Good luck

Dave
Old 01-05-2013, 06:05   #4
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Setting up a new Transat Yacht "race".......

I would think a "challenge" DIY race would be a problem for sponsors. No ruckus, no big start, no big starting party. And there are few NJ marinas that would require the passing of the SOL, they're located in NY harbor actually. The real "New Jersey" that doesn't share the river and port, is south of it.

Still, you could try the marinas that are on the NJ side of NY harbor, or some of the clubs like Raritan YC. A point in Raritan Bay or off Sandy Hook, or perhaps the Ambrose Tower, might work better for you. I'd say to use the Verrazano Bridge as a line, but that's 100% in NY not NJ.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:21   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

[QUOTE=hellosailor;1224549]I would think a "challenge" DIY race would be a problem for sponsors. No ruckus, no big start, no big starting party. QUOTE]

Sponsors eliminate the 'DIY' aspect from the get go...

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:37   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

NJ Marinas ➥ New Jersey Marinas - NJ Marinas boat slips yacht slips New Jersey United States

New Jersey Marinas - NJ Marinas boat slips yacht slips New Jersey United States

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:13   #7

Boat: O'Day 28

"(The Cruising Wiki is blank on NJ!)."

There is a good reason for that. All the people in NJ have moved to North Carolina. The whole state is blank.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:46   #8
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Have a chat with the 'Jester's' folk... they do a similar thing every 2nd year (one way)... in between its to the Azores....
Starting date is usually May... no fixed route...
Am aware of the Jester - just forgotten where they end in the US! Will have a peak to see if a May kick off date would be feasible (up to each boat to decide when to go, just would be nice if I at least had half an idea!).
Old 01-05-2013, 08:48   #9
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The obvious place would be Atlantic city. ? , good few marinas etc.

Very ambitious plan David. A there and back is a huge task for non professional crews , never mind the neccessary weather windows.

Good luck

Dave
I did think of Atlantic City (when I re-discovered it was in NJ!) - an obvious connection in that also has a dodgy reputation when it comes to financial transactions , so was not top of my list for that reason (I never got to looking to see whether they had any Marinas!).
Old 01-05-2013, 08:52   #10
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
I would think a "challenge" DIY race would be a problem for sponsors. No ruckus, no big start, no big starting party. And there are few NJ marinas that would require the passing of the SOL, they're located in NY harbor actually. The real "New Jersey" that doesn't share the river and port, is south of it.
The good news is that I am not after an official start line, nor a big start etc. Hell, I would be surprised if more than one boat did it a year! (and very very pleased at even that!)....any more and the entry requirements would be raised for cost of prize reasons , which is my way of curtailing costs and therefore not needing sponsors - would not turn them down though! (and have a little bit of interest here already - probably mainly because we are talking beer money, litterally!). The marketing benefits for me come from online (internationally - although what use I can do with that is another thing yet to be nailed down!) and locally from any press, but mainly from including in my company gumpf - all part of raising profile a tad / standing out a bit (small island here - not many folks have own Transat "race") as I re-jig (reinvent?) myself....how other sponsers use the J-Tac ("Jay-Tack") will be pretty much up to them........although TBH much of the motivation is simply that I just fancy setting one up (I am big on the "why not?" thing ).
Old 01-05-2013, 09:13   #11
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

The 'Transat' is Plymouth to Rhode Island... here's a report from the last one...
The Jester Challenge : Challenge and Adventure.com

Old 01-05-2013, 09:48   #12

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

It's to bad it has to be New Jersey!! Altho we would love to vist your Jersey, we sure never lost anything in New Jersey worth going back to find !! LOL sorta kidding, but not totaly! But then big city crusing is not real high on our list!! To bad it could not be a cruise to Old Jersey from everywhere !! We would sure be interested for sure ! But I guess that would spoil the whole idea?? Any way neat Idea DOJ
Old 01-05-2013, 10:28   #13
Armchair Bucketeer

Cheers (Bob and / or Connie!).........yeah, the Jersey - Jersey thing is the hook (and TBH the fact that a squillion folks will not be doing it anyway! is also useful on the cost side).......the fact that NJ may (or may not!) be the ideal destination is very much secondary!

Not to say that Jersey could not organise a "World Cruising Rally" that started from anywhere and simply ended here (No VAT and on the edge of the EU) - but that one for greater minds than me (and those with a tad more patience! - as local officialdom would be likely need to be involved for support / official branding of the event).

Am presently trying to learn my way around the State of New Jersey - the only name place I can recognise with a Jersey connection is "Carteret" (comes from the fella / family who owned New Jersey)....but that seems a bit too far inland, was hoping for something with easy pilotage into - will be a long trip (and ideally also not on a major shipping lane!)
Old 01-05-2013, 10:29   #14

Boat: Freedom 28 Cat Ketch

State of NJ requires every boater to pass a safety course and to have a safe boating certificate. The rule applies to any boater within state waters regardless of his/her origin.
CrazyRu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 01:32   #15
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyRu View Post
State of NJ requires every boater to pass a safety course and to have a safe boating certificate. The rule applies to any boater within state waters regardless of his/her origin.
Cheers - will look into that.

Of course stuff like that won't be my concern (all down to the Skipper / Owner), but nonetheless will likely be writing some broad guidance notes (not intructions nor requirments!) and stuff like that would be included.

Tags
Challenge, J-Tac, Jaytac, jersey