Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-05-2013, 08:02   #16

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl
Re: Setting up a new Transat Yacht "race".......

I love this idea! And being a Jersey Girl I will try to assist. I would choose Atlantic City, Farley State Marina. Maybe you can get the Golden Nugget folks to sponsor it. It’s somewhat central (by land) to NYC and Philadelphia for those that might plan some sightseeing excursions. Access to trains, buses, cabs and planes make for easy land travel. Senator Frank S. Farley State Marina in Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States

Cape May is a beautiful place as well. It boasts of being the nation’s oldest seashore resort. CapeMay.com | Cape May NJ, Cape May Hotels, Cape May Beach, Cape May Vacations, Cape May Restaurants, Cape May Rentals , City of Cape May - City of Cape May

For advice on operations and start up a good contact would be Linda and Bill Knowles. They formed the Salty Dawg Rally a few years ago. I’m sure they’ll be busy for the next 3 weeks moving the fleet back north but I believe this may be the model you are looking for. The Salty Dawg Rally
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:29   #17

Boat: Sceptre 41

DOJ:

Funny thing I was looking at the Jester Challenge and the Singlehanded Transpac websites yesterday. I sure like the idea of the Jester Challenge but am handicapped in that my boat is 33' long and in Italy. I also have another boat on the West Coast of US but I looked at the requirements for safety equipment and realized that even with a boat it would cost me multiple boat bucks to bring my boat up to the standard required for the race. My thought then turned to organizing a race from Ensenada Mexico to Hawaii to get away from the legal hassles and nanny state of California. Didn't get much beyond that thought.

Interesting thought you have. I like the idea of it being a Rally.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 08:46   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Setting up a new Transat Yacht "race".......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
DOJ:

Funny thing I was looking at the Jester Challenge and the Singlehanded Transpac websites yesterday. I sure like the idea of the Jester Challenge but am handicapped in that my boat is 33' long and in Italy. I also have another boat on the West Coast of US but I looked at the requirements for safety equipment and realized that even with a boat it would cost me multiple boat bucks to bring my boat up to the standard required for the race. My thought then turned to organizing a race from Ensenada Mexico to Hawaii to get away from the legal hassles and nanny state of California. Didn't get much beyond that thought.

The Jester's has no Standard nor Inspection... the standard is what you choose to sail by.. or what is required standard for your flag.
Also your okay to enter.. if you look at last year's entrants.. and the year before.. several were over 33 foot.. just have to be 'Invited'... usually by asking if one can..
Its a 'Gentleman's Race' and therefore rules and reg's are not required.. other than the start date... and if you can make it.. pass a finish line..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:40   #19
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
DOJ:

Funny thing I was looking at the Jester Challenge and the Singlehanded Transpac websites yesterday. I sure like the idea of the Jester Challenge but am handicapped in that my boat is 33' long and in Italy.
As Phil said, probably could get invited easily enough - well, as long your boat wasn't a racing sled . But a bit of a trek to get to the start line.

Quote:
I also have another boat on the West Coast of US but I looked at the requirements for safety equipment and realized that even with a boat it would cost me multiple boat bucks to bring my boat up to the standard required for the race. My thought then turned to organizing a race from Ensenada Mexico to Hawaii to get away from the legal hassles and nanny state of California. Didn't get much beyond that thought.

Over here (and even in the UK) the potential legal liability side is pretty limited for a simple challenge (like the Jester - which was my inspiration for creating a non-race), as 1 step away from a bet.

But when you become a "race" or likely even a "rally" the scope for a legal downside increases (whether or not someone has a leg to stand on, rule 1 is to avoid the aggro and cost of lawyers and court), and even my rather laizzez faire attitude to many things legal baulks at that, even this side of the world. Plus of course I am wayyyyy too lazy . The idea of doing either in the US of A would fill me with dread (fairly or not)......and would rest on whether I could make enough cash to take the risk, but others clearly have.........

TBH, the reason for going Jersey to Jersey (and back) is to discourage too many folks from taking part (as well as the connection / gimmick) - given that this will be self-funded intially (on peanuts!) and a good chance it will stay that way! (am still puzzling through the details)......the purpose is simply for me to have a "yacht race" under my own banner / brand, even though of course it is not actually a race, but landlubbers mostly won't know the difference - or care .

For a rally that I wanted folks to take part in I would pick a route that folks were going to anyway, or there was a very good reason ($$$ ) for me to try and direct folks to a destination..........from Italy / the Med given the recent upset in North Africa a rally might be a goer to a "safe" destination - perhaps end of the season? or simply a tour. Somewhere like Libya also springs to mind, when it quietens down a bit! - get in on the ground floor (someone will).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2013, 10:42   #20
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
I love this idea! And being a Jersey Girl I will try to assist. I would choose Atlantic City, Farley State Marina. Maybe you can get the Golden Nugget folks to sponsor it. It’s somewhat central (by land) to NYC and Philadelphia for those that might plan some sightseeing excursions. Access to trains, buses, cabs and planes make for easy land travel. Senator Frank S. Farley State Marina in Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States

Cape May is a beautiful place as well. It boasts of being the nation’s oldest seashore resort. CapeMay.com | Cape May NJ, Cape May Hotels, Cape May Beach, Cape May Vacations, Cape May Restaurants, Cape May Rentals , City of Cape May - City of Cape May

For advice on operations and start up a good contact would be Linda and Bill Knowles. They formed the Salty Dawg Rally a few years ago. I’m sure they’ll be busy for the next 3 weeks moving the fleet back north but I believe this may be the model you are looking for. The Salty Dawg Rally
Cheers for the Links - I blow hot and cold on Atlantic city, but I don't have to decide yet and may even simply say anywhere in NJ .

Although not intending to create a rally (see above post) I will check out the Salty Dawg Rally website and have a mull over. But am not quite at the stage of knocking on doors yet, more anon.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Challenge, J-Tac, Jaytac, jersey