Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2014, 13:14   #256
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: La Paz, Mexico
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,653
Re: Save the Planet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post

And here comes the ideological dilemma. We can't solve the problem because I believe the world is flat,
Why is it that Facts seems to Irritate so many people these days?

Obamacare Provides Free Controceptives and Abortions for Gals that can't afford it. That is just a FACT and not anything Ideological, what's with the knee jerk reaction?

Isn't that a Great thing to help control population?
Isn't this a "good thing" that we should all be happy about to Save the Planet?
__________________

__________________
Rich Boren Goodbye Morro Bay...Hello La Paz, Mexico and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water
Technautic CoolBlue Refrigeration
SV THIRD DAY is online now  
Old 02-01-2014, 13:20   #257
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,941
Re: Save the Planet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krogensailor View Post
.End social security, unemployment benifits, welfare, pensions, disability payments, and any other form of regular stipend. combine all of that capital into a fund that provides everyone a earned income credit that equals the median income of the average American. Create a basement floor that stops people from failing into desperate need. Let them buy thier own healthcare.
With you up to the healthcare thing...

Most civilized countries, including the US are roughly at the same point, when it comes to society, in terms of public welfare - eg care for the poor and needy, etc. The difference comes in the implementation: some countries have this support baked into their political principles and public welfare becomes a normal part of government responsibility (eg Scandinavian countries), whereas the US has a hodgepodge of different overlapping agencies, charities, ngo's, because the American political psyche cannot accept social welfare as a natural goal of government. Ergo, it ends up costing alot more to provide that support in the US.

I disagree with you on healthcare, because a single-payer system is far more efficient, and because we really need effective universal healthcare to be a given, not a discretionary extra. An entirely private healthcare system is possible, as long as there are close controls on the market (eg France)
__________________

__________________
Lake-Effect is offline  
Old 02-01-2014, 13:23   #258
Registered User
 
Doodles's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia, USA & Krabi, Thailand
Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Posts: 2,810
Images: 1
Re: Save the Planet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Why is it that Facts seems to Irritate so many people these days?

Obamacare Provides Free Controceptives and Abortions for Gals that can't afford it. That is just a FACT and not anything Ideological, what's with the knee jerk reaction?

Isn't that a Great thing to help control population?
Isn't this a "good thing" that we should all be happy about to Save the Planet?
Not when their God says it's wrong.
__________________
Mundis Ex Igne Factus Est
Doodles is offline  
Old 02-01-2014, 13:24   #259
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: La Paz, Mexico
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,653
Re: Save the Planet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
I have only one requirement, one that mirrors Reagan's promise of a rising tide that floats all boats: economic activity must be a net positive for society (the country/region/whatever). No-one should get rich on making others poorer.
So then the Typewriter industry shouldn't go out of Business from the Advent of Computers?

The Buggywhip manufacturers should go out of Business from the Advent of Cars?

The Blackberry should be pushed out of it's market share from the Iphone?

Who decides on your definition of a "net positive for society"?

The mastermind planners that can't build a website?

Trading one problem based on Freedom for more problems based on control....no thanks.
__________________
Rich Boren Goodbye Morro Bay...Hello La Paz, Mexico and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water
Technautic CoolBlue Refrigeration
SV THIRD DAY is online now  
Old 02-01-2014, 13:25   #260
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: La Paz, Mexico
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,653
Re: Save the Planet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Not when their God says it's wrong.
God has an opinion of Obamacare Now that's a new one.
__________________
Rich Boren Goodbye Morro Bay...Hello La Paz, Mexico and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water
Technautic CoolBlue Refrigeration
SV THIRD DAY is online now  
Old 02-01-2014, 13:30   #261
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,941
Re: Save the Planet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
When you have control to set the rules of the game Lake...then you can make people follow the rules of the game. Sorry, but by you going after me for not following "The Rules of the Game", you just showed the sillyness of such a Game! We all have FREEDOM and the only way the Masterminds can make us follow their Rules is to take Freedom Away.

Now please, show me where I am being "negative". You seem to attack what I post because it is easier to attack and name call than debate an idea you don't find comfortable. It's the classic approach of the tolerant left: attach, belittle and attempt marginalize those who you don't agree with. Sorry...Freedom means I can call craziness out when I see it.

The world will be just fine without the central planner masterminds...but to the smarter-that-us-smartypants they think they can manage the world better and more efficienctly because they are smarter. Too bad some pigs are more equal than others.
It was simply an observation, you are of course free to spew whatever you want (and you have) ... so who's after your freedom?

You have however reinforced my point that no matter what the issue, some people can be relied upon to simply obstruct, avoid and whip out their favourite soapbox again and again. So, thanks for that.

As usual you try to shoehorn me into the uniform of your favourite imaginary enemies:
" We all have FREEDOM and the only way the Masterminds can make us follow their Rules is to take Freedom Away."
"It's the classic approach of the tolerant left: attach, belittle and attempt marginalize those who you don't agree with."
"the central planner masterminds...but to the smarter-that-us-smartypants they think they can manage the world better and more efficienctly because they are smarter. Too bad some pigs are more equal than others"


Hey - bonus points for slipping in that "Animal Farm" reference again. What else have you read?

This would be more entertaining if you'd respond to what I write, not what you imagine or wish I wrote.

You've said elsewhere that you have faith that our problems will get sorted. Enlighten us - how? How do you see the next century playing out?
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline  
Old 02-01-2014, 13:31   #262
Registered User
 
Doodles's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia, USA & Krabi, Thailand
Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Posts: 2,810
Images: 1
Re: Save the Planet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
God has an opinion of Obamacare Now that's a new one.
He has an opinion about everything for some. Just ask the DD guy.
__________________
Mundis Ex Igne Factus Est
Doodles is offline  
Old 02-01-2014, 13:45   #263
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,941
Re: Save the Planet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
So then the Typewriter industry shouldn't go out of Business from the Advent of Computers?

The Buggywhip manufacturers should go out of Business from the Advent of Cars?

The Blackberry should be pushed out of it's market share from the Iphone?

Who decides on your definition of a "net positive for society"?

The mastermind planners that can't build a website?

Trading one problem based on Freedom for more problems based on control....no thanks.
[facepalm] mastermind planners didn't build the website, contractors did. (Canadian ones I'm sorry to say)

I'm sorry you're having so much trouble following along.

Let's cut to the chase:
- is there such a thing as a country, and does a country have the right to declare and uphold what they have democratically agreed to be right and proper?
- is it acceptable that some unrestrained economic activity weakens or destabilizes the country that permits, enables and supports that activity?
- do you recognise the right of your country to act upon the wishes of a majority, even if you are not in that majority?
- do you not recognise that your country stands behind your freedom, that part of freedom is responsibility, and some of that responsibility is exercised as collective action? (ooooo soshulizm)
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline  
Old 02-01-2014, 13:51   #264
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: La Paz, Mexico
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,653
Re: Save the Planet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
This would be more entertaining if you'd respond to what I write, not what you imagine or wish I wrote.

You've said elsewhere that you have faith that our problems will get sorted. Enlighten us - how? How do you see the next century playing out?
That's easy.
Just as no one could properly predict 100yrs ago how the last Centruy has turned out, it is utter unchecked arrogance to think we can today. And in this answer you also have the answer to your first complaint about people posting to the questions you wrote. Perhaps the questions you wrote are not the real issue?

A thirsty man in a life raft is not asking for a glass of water, but for Rescue..
__________________
Rich Boren Goodbye Morro Bay...Hello La Paz, Mexico and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water
Technautic CoolBlue Refrigeration
SV THIRD DAY is online now  
Old 02-01-2014, 13:54   #265
Registered User
 
Doodles's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Virginia, USA & Krabi, Thailand
Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Posts: 2,810
Images: 1
Re: Save the Planet!

I think there are two here who could use a timeout. Why don't you two take your spat outside?
__________________
Mundis Ex Igne Factus Est
Doodles is offline  
Old 02-01-2014, 14:06   #266
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,941
Re: Save the Planet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Just as no one could properly predict 100yrs ago how the last Centruy has turned out, it is utter unchecked arrogance to think we can today.
It certainly has been an amazing, unpredictable 100 years. No question. Heck just the last 50 has been amazing enough.

Here's the difference, though. 100 years ago, there was so much sheer abundance, that the future was limitless for all practical purposes. Now... we can see the limits approaching. We can and have documented the many ways in which the planet's abundance is being used up. We can now see the negative effects that some of our activities are having. We can much more accurately extrapolate that information to see clearly that such activity cannot continue indefinitely. Given all this new data... we have the capability to act on that data. Shouldn't we?

It is willful ignorance to not act on the evidence before us. Yours is a blind faith.
__________________
Lake-Effect is offline  
Old 02-01-2014, 14:08   #267
Registered User

Join Date: May 2011
Location: Toronto
Boat: Sandpiper 565
Posts: 2,941
Re: Save the Planet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I think there are two here who could use a timeout. Why don't you two take your spat outside?
Help, help! I'm being repressed!

__________________
Lake-Effect is offline  
Old 02-01-2014, 14:21   #268
Marine Service Provider
 
SV THIRD DAY's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: La Paz, Mexico
Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch
Posts: 3,653
Re: Save the Planet!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
It certainly has been an amazing, unpredictable 100 years. No question. Heck just the last 50 has been amazing enough.Here's the difference, though. 100 years ago, there was so much sheer abundance, that the future was limitless for all practical purposes.
I see a limitless future for all practical purposes today, now, ahora.
Why is it that people think the big advances in technology have always been in the past? History is a clear teacher on this subject and to think that things will not continually get better is to ignore history.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
We can and have documented the many ways in which the planet's abundance is being used up.
Oh, scare tactics have indeed told us that we are running out of everything, all as a means to tell us to give more power to the Government and central planners. Remember Peak Oil...ha ha ha ...ya right now the USA has enough for decades due to a new technology that NO ONE predicted just 10 years ago! It's a Crying Wolf game to say the world is running out of recouces! Why...simple. We invent, create, NEW recources. Always have...always will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post
It is willful ignorance to not act on the evidence before us. Yours is a blind faith.
Willful ignorance? Or being a student of History and understand that every Doomsday Predictor from the beginning of time has been WRONG. I'm just not a KoolAid drinker or one that buys into the conventional thinking, which is almost always proven to be wrong.

What I find funny is that here I am, saying don't panic and that it will be ok and I'm the crazy guy? When the "smart people" start telling us we are doomed, I see more about them and their world view in those comments than I do about reality. Arrogance....the Arrogance that WE can do what no other civilization has been able to do for the long term...Control It's Population according to the Masterminds in Government, the Chruch, or Kings Court.
__________________
Rich Boren Goodbye Morro Bay...Hello La Paz, Mexico and the owner of:
Cruise RO Water High Output Water
Technautic CoolBlue Refrigeration
SV THIRD DAY is online now  
Old 02-01-2014, 14:25   #269
Registered User
 
Krogensailor's Avatar

Join Date: May 2013
Location: Naples Fl
Boat: Kadey Krogen 38 cutter
Posts: 355
Images: 13
Re: Save the Planet!

That's what I shout at dirt people as I sail by, "Bloody peasants"
__________________
Krogensailor is offline  
Old 02-01-2014, 14:40   #270
Wayfaring Mariner
 
captain58sailin's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Homer, AK is my home port
Boat: Skookum 53'
Posts: 4,045
Images: 5
Re: Save the Planet!

My point is, no matter how much you believe you are in control of your own life, there are many influences on the decisions you make, that you may not even be aware of. How did we get from "Save the Planet!" to "I will rule you!" Perhaps the internet will save us all.
__________________

__________________
" Wisdom; is your reward for surviving your mistakes"
captain58sailin is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Island Planet Sails jaf Product or Service Reviews & Evaluations 3 28-08-2012 09:16
Save the Anchorage In Washington, DC ANCHOR DC Cruising News & Events 129 01-08-2012 09:00
New Plan to Save CTís Penfield Reef Light Soundbounder Off Topic Forum 0 29-12-2011 07:50
Is there a Function for Me to Save My Favorite Posts ? Johnathon123 Forum Tech Support & Site Help 2 09-07-2011 14:49



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 21:43.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.