Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2018, 06:30   #76
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Re: Sailing and Aging

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielamartindm View Post
... the fact that we're presently more likely to fall in than we were twenty years ago.

Not a fact. I fell off boats a number of times when I was younger, but not in many decades since. Why? In part, I am more careful, in part I remember how each happened, and in part I move more skillfully now (57 years old). I use jacklines more and I added high lifelines, but that was not because of age, it's because I got smarter.

(None of the falls were in dangerous circumstances. Either beach cat racing or around the docks.)

I do agree accommodation is smart, and is overlooked by most builders. It's like they don't know their demographic. I didn't say that I move more easily than before (3 knee surgeries), just more skillfully.
Old 12-07-2018, 12:22   #77

Boat: TBD

I just ran into this thread as I was in the waiting room of the neurologist. I suffered a fall in April in our last but record for the day snow fall. Actually a faceplant in two feet of fresh snow. No outside bruises but the neurologist says I got a very big shock inside my head which caused internal bleeding.

So now the result is I’m a fall risk. She told me flat out don’t fall again. I’m 76 and in excellent health ...except for this mess.

I’m about to enter the world if power boats 45 footer. This will be on the Mighty Miss river so no heavy seas. Even though it’s inland waterways it still can be pretty remote in the upper regions of Minn and Wisconsin.

So how would an onboard emergency be handled?

I asked the neurologist what I need to look for as far as symptoms and she said severe headache would be most likely.

So obviously dialing 911 on the phone would be first choice but often you are at the fringe of cell coverage.

I would next guess a VHF radio call. But right today I would be at a loss of how to do this. Could someone give me a quick primer?

I certainly will study up on the VHF as it is necessary to go through numerous locks and bridges.

Thanks

Byron
Bentwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 13:50   #78

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwings View Post
I just ran into this thread as I was in the waiting room of the neurologist. I suffered a fall in April in our last but record for the day snow fall. Actually a faceplant in two feet of fresh snow. No outside bruises but the neurologist says I got a very big shock inside my head which caused internal bleeding.

So now the result is I’m a fall risk. She told me flat out don’t fall again. I’m 76 and in excellent health ...except for this mess.

I’m about to enter the world if power boats 45 footer. This will be on the Mighty Miss river so no heavy seas. Even though it’s inland waterways it still can be pretty remote in the upper regions of Minn and Wisconsin.

So how would an onboard emergency be handled?

I asked the neurologist what I need to look for as far as symptoms and she said severe headache would be most likely.

So obviously dialing 911 on the phone would be first choice but often you are at the fringe of cell coverage.

I would next guess a VHF radio call. But right today I would be at a loss of how to do this. Could someone give me a quick primer?

I certainly will study up on the VHF as it is necessary to go through numerous locks and bridges.

Thanks

Byron
===============================================

I started this topic within this thread because I believe falls (I am 77) are perhaps more of a threat than storms at sea.
My fall was from the boat to the driveway!!!!perhaps if the boat was in the water the landing will have been softer??
Reality is at our age falls are part of the aging process and there are many reasons or medical conditions,some can be treated,some can be ameliorated and some have no solution.
I refer to this last group.
I color red because we are at risk even in non moving platforms.
Today have the results of the scan, "compression fracture of L3"
Will I stop my outfitting my CD 30 to go cruising?
Of course not.
But cannot afford many more of these falls that have plagued me during last decade.
I agree boats are not a friendly environment for some of us,need to change that.
Some how I feel relatively secure on the cockpit as have more "grabing" areas,as mentioned the steps leading to the cabin have built in grab holds,once leaving those it becomes a challenge,beam is wider than my outreach to the standard grab rails on both sides,there is when a human body becomes a projectile.
Some grabbing areas are provided by the counter top of the galley.
My thinking is to develop a system just close to the liner where do not have to look up,,just reach and grab,almost like a circus net?,criss cross lines? webbing?,that can easily be removed at port when no needed for aesthetic value.

For help might like to explore Garmin Inreach
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 15:18   #79

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

@Bentwings:

"Mayday, mayday, maday. This is the vessel [name of boat], position [give both the lat/long and the description, name of closest town or geographical feature]. We have a medical emergency on board and require assistance." Then listen for a response. Try another call -- and keep on calling an listening, eventually someone will come back to you.

Also, you might consider towing insurance, I suspect one such would evacuate you to a town. But be real, it may take hours for someone to come to you. You may have to leave the boat at anchor if a helicopter comes for you, which can introduce some problems of its own.

Also, the nearest town in a rural area is unlikely to have a top flight neurologist, anyway, so if time is critical, well, sorry to be so blunt, a second fall may terminate you. Personally, I'd consider talking with another neurologist or going back to that one and saying to them, "Telling me to not fall down is not helpful. Can you please talk to me about mitigating risk and me still having the quality of life I want?" Perhaps wearing a helmet would help.

Ann
Old 12-07-2018, 15:43   #80

Boat: Leopard 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Not a fact. I fell off boats a number of times when I was younger, but not in many decades since. Why? In part, I am more careful, in part I remember how each happened, and in part I move more skillfully now (57 years old). I use jacklines more and I added high lifelines, but that was not because of age, it's because I got smarter.

(None of the falls were in dangerous circumstances. Either beach cat racing or around the docks.)

I do agree accommodation is smart, and is overlooked by most builders. It's like they don't know their demographic. I didn't say that I move more easily than before (3 knee surgeries), just more skillfully.
The FACT is a 65 year old, no matter how careful he is, is more likely to have falls in general (on or off a vessel) than a 25 year-old. Our senses of balance and proprioception have declined, our muscle mass has diminished, and there's no way to paint a happy face on that. Tell yourself you're getting better if it helps you to sleep, but the statistics don't agree with you.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 16:00   #81

Boat: Endeavour 40CC

After having read all of these posts I want to throw in that it is how you feel not your age. I turned 50 a couple of days ago and didn't think much about it. For as long as I can remember everyone I know has always said "you act like a kid". And I do, I have fun and do most things I want and if people are embarrassed by my childish behaviour well.....tough.....I have fun and don't think of my age. Yes I know some things come along with age that you can't change but as long as I feel like a kid I am going to act like it. A lifetime of HARD work has made me think even more that I should act the way I feel.
vonotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 17:11   #82

Boat: TBD

I know exactly how you feel. Bullet proof. However age reduces that to “bullet resistan” then “at risk”. Even though you feel good. I’m in excellent health but not “ bullet resistant” any more. Doesn’t mean I can’t have enjoyment but I just have to be careful about doing the “ stupid” things of youth.

I was just curious about how to call out an emergency. According to my doctor I won’t have a lot of time before I could be unconscious. So I guess should the situation go critical I could head for shore and possibly drop the anchor. No point in grounding the boat and causing unnecessary expense for the relatives.

I will just have to pay attention to where I’m at and not get into very remote locations.

Byron
Bentwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 17:36   #83

Just turned 71.

I feel healthy but my equilibrium is definitely off.

I have to think about how to place my feet and have become excessively cautious.

Could be worse of course.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 06:47   #84

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Just updated my add for sale on my Nimble.
kind of surprised there was no interest giving is the ideal all weather "water floating almost a boat" for my "geriatric soulmates".
As I just lost my remaining marbles and bought/adopted?a Cape Dory for my next uncharted and more likely unwise "adventures?,foolishness?" plans to go cruising again.
cheers.
I hope this is not seen as a sale add,not my intention
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 07:51   #85
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

Just such an odd duck of a design?

I happen to like the way it looks, but think you'd have to be happy being known as eccentric to want one.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 09:49   #86

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwings View Post
I know exactly how you feel. Bullet proof. However age reduces that to “bullet resistan” then “at risk”. Even though you feel good. I’m in excellent health but not “ bullet resistant” any more. Doesn’t mean I can’t have enjoyment but I just have to be careful about doing the “ stupid” things of youth.

I was just curious about how to call out an emergency. According to my doctor I won’t have a lot of time before I could be unconscious. So I guess should the situation go critical I could head for shore and possibly drop the anchor. No point in grounding the boat and causing unnecessary expense for the relatives.

I will just have to pay attention to where I’m at and not get into very remote locations.

Byron
I guess I have a very different idea of living and dieing . I would rather live and die out at sea or the middle of the desert, than have a bunch of "doctors" trying to "save me" and in so doing, take all of what I built in my life time. I have already distributed most of what I have to my kids and grand kids. I am now 77 and have had a good life. How much more the man upstairs grants me, is up to him!
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2018, 13:57   #87

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

One of the big emotional jobs of aging is accepting one's own inevitable death. It is something that takes time, and adjustments for strengths that diminish. One tends to regret what one has lost, and might forget to be grateful for what one does have. I struggle with this. I suspect that, like the other animals, we try to keep on living till life has left us.

And, we are responsible for maintaining the quality of life we desire.

Ann
Old 16-07-2018, 21:12   #88

After 3 heart attacks, the first 13 years ago, I am fully accustomed to accepting my inevitable death. Knee & back problems mean that at 78 I can no longer sail a yacht, ride a horse or go for a jog.

However I can still drive & enjoy my old sports cars & fly my remote control planes, so I count my blessings, & focus on what I can do & enjoy, rather than the things I no longer can.

If our kids are doing well, & we got even near the bottom of our bucket list we are lucky people, & should be happy.
Hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 04:32   #89
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
One of the big emotional jobs of aging is accepting one's own inevitable death. It is something that takes time, and adjustments for strengths that diminish. One tends to regret what one has lost, and might forget to be grateful for what one does have. I struggle with this. I suspect that, like the other animals, we try to keep on living till life has left us.

And, we are responsible for maintaining the quality of life we desire.

Ann
Thanks Ann. I’m ONLY 67 and struggle with the whole death thing. I feel pretty good, not lost much so far. I just can’t contemplate how the world would cope with the loss of ME, it’s unthinkable. Frankly scares the bejeesus outta me. Can’t talk about it, don’t want to, know I must. Sucks.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 05:02   #90

Boat: Privilege 435 Catamaran

I am not 25 anymore - is an often use sentence.

With almost 66 I preparing for our looong voyage from Europe to Japan and back. My wife is 10 years younger. We keep ourselves in good shape with several time intensive sports per week. Mostly 5 times.

We also know that the completion of the voyage depends mainly on my health.

And when we need to get off of our cat, we have the plan to cruise the rivers and canals in Europe.

And, I very often think about the song from Mercedes Sosa "gracia a la vida, que me ha dado tanto" It became more known through Joan Baez.

I wish all of you that you can sing this wonderful song while looking back to your life.
p435 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing