Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Challenges
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 05:18   #1

Reinke Aluminum Twin Keel Designs - Company , Material & Design ?

Ahoy threadmates,

Wondering if anyone can tell me the pitfalls of buying an aluminum boat per se, and specifically one like the boat detailed below. I think that I understand the potential advantages.

In particular, has anyone heard of Reinke sailboats? Apparently, this company is Polish, and is much better known for its aluminum trailers than it is for its sailboats, not many of which have been ever been designed or purchased.

Also, the particular design that intrigues me is a twin "bilge" keel design, which, apparently relies on water to fill the twin aluminum keels. This design makes the boat "beachable" given a relatively high tide, and makes work on the hull potentially less expensive.

Whatever downsides that anyone could note about the material, design or the company itself would be greatly appreciated.

Best to all,

G2L
Gone2long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:31   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Reinke Aluminum, Twin Keel Designs - Company, Material, & Design?

::: REINKE-TYPYACHT-KONSTRUKTIONEN :::

Actually the designers a German.. and Bremen based...
Fairly well known in Europe as tough comfortable sailboats from 7.5m to mega yachts... mainly self build in the smaller versions.. or kit boat completions..
Here's a few for sale...
Reinke Yachts for sale, used Reinke Yachts, new Reinke yacht sales, free photo ads - Apollo Duck

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 10:20   #3

Re: Reinke Aluminum, Twin Keel Designs - Company, Material, & Design?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
::: REINKE-TYPYACHT-KONSTRUKTIONEN :::

Actually the designers a German.. and Bremen based...
Fairly well known in Europe as tough comfortable sailboats from 7.5m to mega yachts... mainly self build in the smaller versions.. or kit boat completions..
Here's a few for sale...
Reinke Yachts for sale, used Reinke Yachts, new Reinke yacht sales, free photo ads - Apollo Duck
Thank you sir;

You input is deeply appreciated. Excited tohear this, since I was completely unfamiliar with the build - which looks like on heck of a boat. Will check the links immediately if not sooner.

Best regards,

G2L
Old 03-06-2011, 19:38   #4

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

G2L, not sure of your location and needs but there is a beautiful steel Reinke for sale in Fiji (saw it on apollo duck). The paint system sounds first class so I thought this would be a nice boat for someone. In actual fact I hadn't even heard of an Alum. Reinke yet. Cheers
kjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:23   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjames View Post
G2L, not sure of your location and needs but there is a beautiful steel Reinke for sale in Fiji (saw it on apollo duck). The paint system sounds first class so I thought this would be a nice boat for someone. In actual fact I hadn't even heard of an Alum. Reinke yet. Cheers
My location is not near Figi, but, there have been a number of these Reinke's built in aluminum. It seems like perhaps the best material one can use in terms of durability, resistance to rot and rust, and overall weight.

The only problems I have heard of are the facts that aluminum is expensive, takes specialized welding equiptment, and is difficult to pull off if you don't know exactly what your doing.

I also wonder about how you insulate the interior when attaching wood accomodations, and whether that presents the same problems as it does with steel.

Apparently lots of these Reinke's - up to 38 foot - have been "homebuilt" apparently by engineers and the like. And, somehow, they have overcome such apparent difficulty.

Thanks for your note,

G2L