Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2016, 07:29   #256

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Professional therapy, motivational coach, or CF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I was just asking. Lots of people post how they are "just going back to ......" if they have a major medical. I just don't feel that is a well thought out statement.

When you have a medical emergency you are at the mercy of what is available. If you can wait and get on a plane is it really an emergency?

OTOH people always think medical services from where they are from are better than where they are.
No...it wasn't an emergency at all. Just a heart attack, where you can't walk 50 ft. without clinching my chest and falling to my knees. Ya, I was fine.
If you live life anticipating emergency's you're going to end up a corroded, unhappy person IMHO
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 08:41   #257
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
No...it wasn't an emergency at all. Just a heart attack, where you can't walk 50 ft. without clinching my chest and falling to my knees. Ya, I was fine.
If you live life anticipating emergency's you're going to end up a corroded, unhappy person IMHO
That was how my heart attack went (had a couple of small ones and it was at least 36 hours before the blockage was corrected). I would be hard pressed to decide to wait till I could be on a plane for treatment for such an event.

So this "if I have a major medical I will just go home" I feel really only applies to finding out you have something slow that a few days don't matter.

Meanwhile my wife and I are without medical coverage for 5 days now and still can not figure out a reasonable way to get covered in good old USA.
Old 05-09-2016, 09:09   #258

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadagirl View Post
????? Really? How did my question become militarized? I've had a lot of good feedback from all who participated. How does the military or your experience in the military relate in any way to my question, or other's suggestions ?people, in my perspective, are offering up their own unique ways of making their dreams happen. Very helpful. How exactly does your drill sergeant, or your military experience enlighten any of us? Are you saying I should join a branch of the military service?
Please read post #211. I was referring to their suggestions as to how to end and/or soften and deflect the conversation, that had evolved into a heated discussion, with a little humor. The discussions get heated sometimes! I am not on the CF every day so sometimes I am days behind in reading what has been posted. I forgot to hit the quote button so by it self, it does not make any sense, was out of time, and the conversation had changed. I tried to correct it on the next post by referring to post #211. Please forgive if I upset you in any way. It was not my intent. Nor was I insinuating for you to join the military. By the way, I got politely and diplomatically thrown out the next semester because I was not a US citizen (all tho true, it is some more of my intent at humor). I realize you are under a lot of pressure. Many decisions to be made and not all of them easy. Some far reaching. In your latest post, it looks like you are getting your"ducks in a row". Good for you. The only thing I can add is, along the way, try and laugh at life. Sometimes it gets so difficult. I have a saying that I use all the time "I do not know wheather to laugh or cry". Like love and hate. Sometimes they seem to be so close to each other. Have a nice day. Sincerely, Hector
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 09:42   #259

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
To gain perspective on what is really important in your life, just ask yourself this question: ’When I’m 100 years old and I look back over my life, what would make me think my time was well spent?’

When you know what matters most to you, keep your eyes on your own definition of happiness, and you’ll fill your life with the things that are important to you. The rest takes care of itself. And then you are relieved of the situation by no longer being here.

That reminds me of the movie "City Slickers". The old cowboy (Jack Palance) turns to the middle aged guy and tells him "there is only one thing in life that maters". The guy asked "what is it". He answers "that is for you to decide".
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 10:34   #260

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
That was how my heart attack went (had a couple of small ones and it was at least 36 hours before the blockage was corrected). I would be hard pressed to decide to wait till I could be on a plane for treatment for such an event.
It's a long story (isn't it always). It was a comedy of errors on an Island that had no real cardio care and would not let on that they knew nothing. I was discharged after 4 days and finally told they had no Surgical Cardiologist on the Island and charged me $12K. Hard to believe I know. They did offer a $10K medivac though. What thoughtful folks. So I simply was wheel chaired to Hawaiian Airlines, told them I sprained my ankle and off I went to Oahu and then to Queens medical center for a $60K procedure. No Insurance by the way and I paid out of pocket...another good story.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 13:30   #261

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
You've just compromised yourself into the 5.5 extra years..
All the best when you make it onto your liveabord..
I know �� Security is an anchor to me. If only I could fall backwards from that cliff with confidence I'd be alive to tell the tale when I hit! On one hand there is no guarantee ever. On the other, ability to be diagnosed early and also afford the option to prolong my life. There are many effective treatments to numerous diseases expected in late life if you can afford them.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 13:38   #262

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Consider this. It is not how long you live that matters but how well. We will all die. Will we all live?

S/V B'Shert
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 13:38   #263
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
I know �� Security is an anchor to me. If only I could fall backwards from that cliff with confidence I'd be alive to tell the tale when I hit! On one hand there is no guarantee ever. On the other, ability to be diagnosed early and also afford the option to prolong my life. There are many effective treatments to numerous diseases expected in late life if you can afford them.
Gosh.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2016, 13:39   #264

Quote:
To gain perspective on what is really important in your life, just ask yourself this question: ’When I’m 100 years old and I look back over my life, what would make me think my time was well spent?’

When you know what matters most to you, keep your eyes on your own definition of happiness, and you’ll fill your life with the things that are important to you. The rest takes care of itself. And then you are relieved of the situation by no longer being here.

Very good advice! Same as the standard quote of looking back on your life with no regrets. The current reason of why I am torn. But it all boils down to a persons perspective in life, and by extension their current abilities. Like I said, my current 5 year plan is good and I'll continue to work on making that shorter.
Old 05-09-2016, 13:58   #265
CLOD

Boat: none

Everyone (99+% I bet) have regrets at the end. We can not see the future so there is no way to really know which decisions are right/wrong till much later. This thread is really more about decision to have more money to drool longer in old old age, or to party now and drool less later maybe.

So with this said I have to ask:

Did we put the first reef or second in? Well to tell you the truth in all this excitement I kinda lost track myself. But being this is a cat 3 hurricane, the most powerful we have been in and could blow us clean into the rocks, you've gotta ask yourself one question: "Do I feel lucky?" Well, do ya, punk?
Old 05-09-2016, 13:59   #266

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Consider this. It is not how long you live that matters but how well. We will all die. Will we all live?

S/V B'Shert
that depends on a lot! Have you never had the opportunity to witness the end of a life of a person who if had been diagnosed sooner, been able to afford treatment, might have lived? Taken away from their families and their own aspirations if only? Or even a person properly diagnosed, but unable to pay?

I view myself as silly if I compare myself to the millions in this world without such guarantee. But I know what's available, so I want it. I'm sure family and friends want that for me as well. I notice there's no argument against spending insurance $ in boat. But health insurance $ are considered useless. I just disagree with that for my own plans.why not offer myself protection.
Old 05-09-2016, 14:05   #267
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
that depends on a lot! Have you never had the opportunity to witness the end of a life of a person who if had been diagnosed sooner, been able to afford treatment, might have lived? Taken away from their families and their own aspirations if only? Or even a person properly diagnosed, but unable to pay?

I view myself as silly if I compare myself to the millions in this world without such guarantee. But I know what's available, so I want it. I'm sure family and friends want that for me as well. I notice there's no argument against spending insurance $ in boat. But health insurance $ are considered useless. I just disagree with that for my own plans.why not offer myself protection.
Hmm.. As a medic, the phrase "might have" is the truism. Seems counter productive to live a life based on "what ifs" and "might haves".

You want something that is not available. A guarantee.

Live your life-it will end when it ends. Enjoy it now.. nobody gets out alive.
Old 05-09-2016, 14:26   #268

Quote:
Hmm.. As a medic, the phrase "might have" is the truism. Seems counter productive to live a life based on "what ifs" and "might haves".

You want something that is not available. A guarantee.

Live your life-it will end when it ends. Enjoy it now.. nobody gets out alive.
that's exactly what I'm saying and trying to protect myself against. Nothing is guaranteed! But if you can afford diagnostics, preventive care, if you can afford medication and treatments. Well then you'd probably stand a better chance at survival. As opposed to to no prevention, no early diagnosis, and no means to procure treatment. It's a very simple theory, and one of the reasons health insurance is sold in the US. Given your history of working in the US I expect you'd understand this.
Old 05-09-2016, 14:33   #269
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
that's exactly what I'm saying and trying to protect myself against. Nothing is guaranteed! But if you can afford diagnostics, preventive care, if you can afford medication and treatments. Well then you'd probably stand a better chance at survival. As opposed to to no prevention, no early diagnosis, and no means to procure treatment. It's a very simple theory, and one of the reasons health insurance is sold in the US. Given your history of working in the US I expect you'd understand this.
Yes I understand.
Methinks it is perhaps you that is not understanding....
Old 05-09-2016, 14:37   #270

Quote:
hahaha but on further examination.....my BIL is a doctor and professor at a major teaching college. While in discussion with him he seemed to be in denial that there are people that go without medication because they can't afford it. That people are turned away from needed medical care because of a lack of insurance or personal funds. He's living in a bubble!